Universal Starborn Anarkist - (by ZeMind Game Studio Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Trailer reminds me of this

But while that game is tactical, this seems more arcadey and bullet hell-style action

2. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Somehow i managed to earn more then 125000 coins (not far in the game at all), the fifth in-game achievement gave me 50k alone !

But i'm with you concerning manuvering the ship, at least in the beginners stages. Might change when you find, earn and buy better engines for bigger ships. We'll see...

Edit: def better played on ipad mini or bigger.

3. Bronxsta

I haven't played it yet, but for example, in that game above, that was part of the learning curve. How to best configure your ship to optimize movement, offense, defense, etc.

4. master333

master333 Active Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Having played more and this game certainly has that 1 more go factor I don't think the game is so grindy - as in you do get rewards for ship parts and getting achievements.Its doable without buying IAP.

I would like to know from another player what the basic placement on a ship for proper maneuvering should be?

5. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Watched the trailer... Yeah, purchased! This is right up my alley!

6. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Looks like each of the 57 achievements is worth 1 point on Game Center. Wut? There's a truckload of great achievements in the game and they'll either shove a bucket of cash down your throat or unlock more parts for your ship.

The pew pew is pretty good especially when you start getting more parts for your ship. You've got guns and melee weapons like that huge ball and chain in the video. Your main gun powers up via pick ups and can change types if you get another color but will become lv1 again. Shields work in the same manner with 3 different types.

Weight is a huge factor for mobility and you have to balance weapons, the hull, shields and a fair number of engines or it feels like a truck moving on 2 wheels. Engine placement doesn't seem to matter as long as you have enough.

Smallest viable ship is just 3 parts: cockpit, engine, and a weapon. Biggest, is whatever blueprint you have unlocked on a 7x7 grid. Bosses and enemy waves drop more parts. Achievements unlock some more but you have to buy them. Money comes at a good pace, especially at higher boss kill counts.

It's an entirely premium dual stick shooter that gets better and better the more you play it. It's worth the $2! They tossed in a daily reward on the main screen to help fund your ship building for the heck of it. Find it too slow, there's a $1 and $5 IAP to kickstart your space scrap collection. :)

7. kurds

kurds New Member

Dec 8, 2013
    I've never posted about a game ever but I felt I had to with this particular game. I took a chance and bought it and I'm so glad i did. The gameplay reminds me of the early stages of Spore with the amoeba. The ship builder allows you to experiment a great deal. I've barely unlocked half of the weapons and upgrades and the complexity is already impressive. I find I want to do 'just one more run' to maybe hit the jackpot on a ship part as well as beat my personal best. The bosses are really fun and common.

At first the game seems overwhelming but upgrades really help. The key is stacking all of one color powerup during gameplay. 10 stacks of green missiles or blue laser is hilarious.

I find it's well balanced and haven't even considered the IAP. The difficulty of the game is where it really shines. Each upgrade actually means something so unlocking them is pretty exciting.

If you are on the fence, get it. I'm really critical of games and one rarely keeps me coming back like Starborn Anarkist.

8. Bronxsta

Guess we have to ask undead to add this to the GOTW contenders this week?
    Okay buying now

9. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Yep.

10. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    I already threw it on my list of five, so if one more poster nominates it I think that that is all that is needed to make the list for the poll...

11. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

I would nominate it but I don't know where or how ;)

I bought this on a whim last night and ended up staying up til 5am playing it!

If you ever thought Gratuitous Space Battles was a good idea but you would love to control the ships as well, this is your answer.

I love the way the intensity ramps up and the way you can get away with things by the skin of your teeth sometimes. A bit like Tilt to Live in some ways. Fine controls, tons of choice and I'm sure the blueprints get bigger than 7x7 later in the game?

I made some bad purchasing choices for ship upgrades so my progress has become a bit slow until I get the next engine upgrade, but IAP won't necessarily help you speed up as you still have to unlock the ability to buy better gear via some achievements (mostly related to just playing long enough).

Overall a great game that changes with you as you grow stronger and adapt your ship. You can really feel yourself getting better so it does keep me coming back for more!

12. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Just to throw in my two cents here, this is a hidden gem of a game. Completely addicting, requires some skill to master, and has a ton of replayability. This is the best 2 dollar game i have bought in months.

13. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    This game is freaking awesome! I agree with the comparison to Gratuitous Space Battles (although this is far less buggy) in its feel a bit! There was a game that never met its full potential that came out a long time ago that was a open galaxy space shooter (Ultraviolet Dawn I think)... This game reminds me of that game somewhat, or rather the positive elements of that game!

14. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    So is it horrible on the small screen?

15. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    #35 Bool Zero, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    Not sure, I'm playing on iPad so I can't comment... Actually, I check it out on my wife's iPhone and see how it plays...

Edit: okay, back... Plays fine on iPhone 5, very good in fact and I normally hate playing on a smaller screen (big fingers)!

16. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    #36 The Gamer Dude, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    Thanks much :) I'm downloading now

Played a bit and this seems pretty awesome, can't wait to really get into it.

17. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    ......someone gave this a low star rating. Whoever did so, care to mention why? I've heard nothing but pros on this thread. Would be nice to hear any of the cons.

18. Bronxsta

Finally got to play some of this. I'm really impressed. Game plays smoothly on my iPhone 4 and controls are responsive. There's a ton of depth and replayability in the customization and ship building, and I haven't once felt like I needed to buy IAP coin packs. The boss and enemy designs are very cool and very varied and the gameplay reminds of a more free-form Warning Forever/Infinity Danger, since you can destroy enemies piece by piece and target important parts.

I've been everything from a lightly armored spike covered wrecking ball that threads between bullets to a shielded powerhouse that sacrifices maneuverability for firepower.

Love the little details like your pilot flying through space upon defeat or how lasers bounce around debris

I can see myself sinking a lot of time into this game. Well worth the $1.99

19. Bronxsta

Where do I find the store? Game says I can buy parts but I don't see any menus or icons for a store

20. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Tap on any part you currently have unlocked in the garage and it will give you the option to buy the part.