Universal Starborn Anarkist - (by ZeMind Game Studio Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Kubaton

Kubaton Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Louisiana, USA
    Welcome, ZeMindGames. It's always nice to see a responsive dev on the forums!

I picked up the game based on recommendations from this thread. I'm loving it so far! The only real critique I have is the same as some others have mentioned already. It just feels like you're always fighting the controls. I'm on an iPad 4 so allowing the radius to be resized would probably help quite a bit. I haven't had a chance to really play it on my iPhone 5 yet so I can't compare the controls.

2. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I play on an iPhone 5. I often have to cover more distance than usual with my finger to change the direction I'm shooting in.

Managed to defeat the 12 bosses! It becomes total anarchy past that with bosses cycling over. Total bullet hell. I was going after achievements so I had red bullets, green shield, blue engine. Unbelievably, I still haven't been able to destroy 100 missiles in 1 round even after killing close to 500 bogeys!

Attached Files:

3. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
  4. ZeMindGames

ZeMindGames Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    ZeMind Game Studio
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks, and noted. There'll be more engine-related parts in future updates. Also, the idea was to make the in-game upgrades (red, green, blue) more desirable by making sure you're pretty sluggish at lvl 1, but I can see I have some balancing to do.

Congrats, you might be the first! I'll take a look at that achievement too, 500 enemies shot down and the red weapon should have put you pretty close! Now that you've gotten that far into the game, is there anything you'd like to see to increase replayability?

Thanks, I really appreciate the attention you guys have been giving the game. We worked really hard on it and had no idea that it would be this well received!

5. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #85 Echoen, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    I actually did recognize your idea with balancing the engines around level 10. I get pissed off when I accidentally pick up a different color from an enemy that blows up right next to my ship or it flies right into me.

I've still got 10 achievements to go and that's keeping me going. You guys made some pretty cool goals. GC puts them at only 1 point each though. Increasing the GC points and adding more would be nice. I thought more blueprint-specific and weapon-limiting ones would be very interesting. But you can save the new achievements for future content. ;)

A leaderboard would be nice even if people can just hack it. Local or internet board, anything.

Bigger bosses with unique weapons? That last boss was great with all the layers. Say, what if players can make their own huge bosses to share with the community? Idea is they've gathered so much scrap, they came up with their own monstrosities.

I still need to unlock the 5Mil blueprint (41%) and finally Anarkist. Is the last the entire 7x7? I'm dying to try out an uber tank without a main gun.

Edit: is there any way to open game center from within the game? And GC says I only have 14 points but the game says I've gotten 47

6. ZeMindGames

Dec 9, 2013
    ZeMind Game Studio
    Toronto, Canada
    Interesting idea. We have a separate ship editor we built internally to do just that, so maybe I could release it on the mac app store and hook it up to the game somehow...

It sure is. No restrictions. You've earned it.

Currently there isn't, but we'll polish up the GameCentre interaction in the next update. I'll have a look at the discrepancy between your in-game and GC achievement count.

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

To go along with the great create-a-boss idea, a straight up boss rush mode would be cool. Especially if it could incorporate the player-created bosses

Also as you said, building challenges like only use X weapon or X amount of shielding could also add replay value

Maybe more environmental variety? Like if you fly far enough, you come across an asteroid field that you can use to evade enemies. Or random events like solar flares that would disable certain weapons or enemies?

8. ZeMindGames

Dec 9, 2013
    ZeMind Game Studio
    Toronto, Canada
    If you like the game, you have our lead designer "Monty The Dachshund" to thank:

[​IMG]

9. ZeMindGames

Dec 9, 2013
    ZeMind Game Studio
    Toronto, Canada
    We've talked about boss rush, I like that idea, with or without the player-created bosses. Time-trial sort of action with leader boards.

More environmental stuff would be good as well. We already have asteroids in the game, it would be pretty trivial to make them solid objects that affect the game. Similar with gravity wells around constellations. I think we'd have to add some positive environmental effects too though, otherwise players would just avoid all the cool environmental stuff. :)

10. Thank you Monty, dogs are a man's best friend.

11. Kubaton

Kubaton Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Louisiana, USA
    Thanks for taking note. I'm sure part of it is me and it will get easier once muscle memory starts kicking in.

Haha, I love it. Thanks, Monty!

12. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    #92 GR3NADE, Dec 9, 2013
    I love it! I got it from promo code but I would definitely buy it :) There is a lot of possible stuff to add in updates so I hope we'll see some ;)

Just one thing: did anyone have any issues with controls? I think the left stick somehow "recenters" itself (I can't reach borders sometimes so I have to put my finger off the screen sometimes) - iPhone5

13. ZeMindGames

Dec 9, 2013
    ZeMind Game Studio
    Toronto, Canada
    Both sticks re-center themselves everytime you touch the screen. So if you lift your finger/thumb and place it down somewhere else, that becomes the new center for that stick.

The idea is that since there's no tactile feedback (like with a console controller), we instead allow you to use whatever area of the screen you like, and rather than looking down at your hands, you can just lift and re-tap to calibrate them on the fly.

14. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    Yeah but I think it changes it's center even when I don't lift my finger - it should be the same untill I put my finger off

15. ZeMindGames

Dec 9, 2013
    ZeMind Game Studio
    Toronto, Canada
    Ah, I see the problem, sorry. While watching people play the game, I've noticed quite often that their hand slips off the screen area onto the border of the device (which feels identical). To the game however, this registers as the touch being complete, and a new touch starts when they slide back onto the screen. This could be why the control is re-centering on you.

For the next update, I'll do a check when the touch starts to see if it's right on the border of the device and if so, not re-center the stick. Thanks for the feedback!

16. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    #96 The Gamer Dude, Dec 9, 2013
    Monty you made a great game, no bones about it! The fun factor is through the roof! I must appawed you for your effort :)

17. ZeMindGames

Dec 9, 2013
    ZeMind Game Studio
    Toronto, Canada
    Did you mean through the "ruff"? Guess it was infurred...

18. ZeMindGames

Dec 9, 2013
    ZeMind Game Studio
    Toronto, Canada
  19. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    #99 The Gamer Dude, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
    Roof or Ruff lol my mutts roof when they bark, but anyways great game.

20. jontas

jontas Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I saw one of the potential features in development is "shake to clear" in the garage. Is there currently any way to reset a ship back to the original blueprint after you've made changes? I can't seem to find this.. I see the undo button but that only undoes changes from the current "session". I'm looking for a way to just wipe all customizations.