Storm Strikers 99c (50% off) launch sale

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by mrsamsa, Mar 9, 2012.

1. DaGreen1

DaGreen1 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2012
    Florida
    #21 DaGreen1, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
    I got the two DoDonPachi games as well as Shogun which REALLY blew me away with it's high quality graphics. Just the launching ship is beautiful enough for a buy.

Still kinda pissed that BeatHazardUltra is free right now, when I paid for it. But it was also worth it. Even so, I find myself going back to this game a few times. It's fun, keeps it simple. I've played DoDonPachi on Mame once. Hmm, I wonder if the 1940's series from Capcom are up there.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #22 syntheticvoid, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
    Hmm...

There's also some really nice shmups that are worth picking up...

like Royce said, Dariusburst... it's got to be the best shmup in the AppStore. Then... Techno Trancer, Super Laser, Super Crossfire, Vetica, Icarus-X, Assault Squadron, Ultrablast, Sky Force, Neoteria, Tyrian, R-Type, Earth Defense Force, Battle Squadron, Hypership, Lightning Fighter, Flying Hamster (hehe)...

Then some that aren't really considered shmups... but that I have in my shmup folder -

Enborn-X, Gods Of Nibiru, Space Tripper (my favorite game of 2011), FlipShip and Velocispider...

There's quite a few more... but I haven't really had any of them stay on my device for any significant amount of time.

You also might want to get use to games going free... happens quite a bit. There was a stretch of about 2 months about a year ago when just about 80% of all the games I bought went free within that week... =oP

Yes, it'll rub you the wrong way... but it's what the AppStore is... as sad as that sounds... price drops and freebies are the only way developers feel they can stay on the top lists, getting the most exposure they can, hoping for all the sales they can get.

Like they said on the TA podcast a couple weeks ago... the AppStore really needs a Yelp like reviewing system. I think it'd help a lot with the price drops if people had reviews with substance. I think a better linking system (Customers Also Bought) would do a lot of good...

But I doubt it'll happen... even if it does.. the sheer volume of games will always make developers think they need to lower their prices to compete. And I'm getting WAY off topic...

sorry.

3. DaGreen1

Mar 9, 2012
    Florida
    Wow, Dariusburst is expensive. Almost 11 bucks.
    Before you go, I have an old game for ya. It was for Dos, recently got a special edition via GoG.com

Raptor: Call of the Shadows.

Edit: WHICH IS FREAKING ON THE APPSTORE WHOOOOOOO!

4. mrsamsa

mrsamsa Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Alberta
    After CAVE precision controls I found Raptor to be floaty, despite how much I love the game.

5. DaGreen1

Mar 9, 2012
    Florida
    Likewise. I just downloaded it, and the controls are horrible compared to the cave shooters or this game, Storm Strikers.

6. mrsamsa

mrsamsa Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Alberta
    Yeah, the 1:1 controls are really great on iphone, better than Danmaku Unlimited.

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, relative touch and movement that doesn't lag horribly behind your finger movements is pretty much a necessity with shmups on the touchscreen...

8. DaGreen1

Mar 9, 2012
    Florida
    Agreed. It should feel like natural finger movement, which mrsamsa is right, Raptor did not. In fact, it would be easier to use a keyboard or mouse with the game rather than the touchscreen. It ran horribly slow, where enemies I'd usually blitz right by were able to hit me, on the first level.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Really enjoying this one. Just playing on easy now to unlock all of the ships.

Agree with a lot of 'void's list, although I haven't yet gotten a Cave shooter.

I think Absolute Instant is great and overlooked. Nice warping mechanic to offset it from the usual shump. Also sould add Act of Fury -- although it's also a bit different from the usual shump -- as "you" are the weapon with the hurricane-like mechanic around your ship.

Just tried the demo of Shogun and it seems really good, but only 4 missions? Seems like it would be pretty short.

Since I just got a 3GS, there's a lot more shumps to play with. But there's also a lot of other games I wanted and couldn't play so I'll slowly pick up a lot of the ones mentioned.

As for now, back to Storm Strikers!

10. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany