iPad Strategy & Tactics: World War II. A new grand strategy for iOS devices!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by HeroCraftGames, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Aagenbag2

Aagenbag2 Member

Mar 24, 2013
    I'm a little sceptical.... I was looking forward to this game and really, really wanted to like it, but I tend to agree that without any information on the relative strength of units, or the difference between attacking and defending strength, it is hard to plan your strategy or tactics. It ends up being a guessing game rather than a strategy game...

The presence of iap in a $7 game is also a concern... For such a relatively premium price, i would expect a full game...

Looks like i'll have to wait for panzer corps... Please convince me otherwise; like I said, I realy want to like this game, but as it stands I am not convinced it is worth $7

2. TheJoey4

TheJoey4 Active Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Lemme clarify - the 6.99 is the "unlock full game purchase" which I did. It supposedly unlocks 18 new battles but you can only access each level by beating the newly unlocked levels. I beat 2 levels (one german, one russian) and thats where I am stuck.

The units and combat seem like theres strategy, but the more i lose, the more i see how it seems to just be a dice roll that is 100% random each "skirmish". The provisions upgrade is mostly useless, as well as the unit upgrades. I have gotten upgrades but again what is 5% bonus to infanty when we dont even have a clue as to what the infanty started off at? Same with tanks (which arent labeled in game either).

Its just a lot of minor things that a simple tooltip or infoscreen (or even a forum post here) could easily solve.

3. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    this is hard to understand. i thought the premium game unlocked 3 campaigns, more scenarios, some adjustable skirmish maps. can someone explain how levels are implemented in this game? in the lite version i don't remember ANY unit being designated as a level 1 unit. and Joey mentioned "I beat 2 levels (one german, one russian)". that doesn't sound like individual units level up.

also, is there any way to tell who will beat whom? i mean, do you throw 3 infantry units at a tank unit or 6? how many bombs does it take to "kill" 3 infantry units? 3 or more? is there any way of telling before hand if you're likely to beat the units in the next province other than throwing more units at them? they have 3 so i'll send 9, that kind of thing..

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Same here! I have Battle Academy and Battle of the Bulge and I love both ... I do not care about the Price of a good game but I hate this "Pay again and again for nothing" System ....

5. TheJoey4

TheJoey4 Active Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Thats one of the issues I had, I was ASSUMING that the level 2 infantry were the ones with a slightly different icon (one of the gunners looks like a sniper) and the level 2 tanks i ASSUME are the larger looking ones? If you look at the "reinforcements" upgrade, also assuming here, the higher priced (but low number of troops) appear to be elite or level 2?? This game is frustratingly close to being awesome, i think simple tooltips or even a forum post on unit info would be a huge help.

6. gosenbach

gosenbach Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Engineer (mechanical/electrical/software)
    It looks like the unit images change depending on how many units are stacked on a single space. The level of the units i beleive is indicated by a small group of yellow chevrons on the upper right of the unit icon on the map

And yes, some unit stats and a description on the battle mechanics would be very very welcome.

7. Aagenbag2

Aagenbag2 Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Transparent game combat resolution

I agree with what has been said before: this game is so close to being great.
    But in order for me to formulate a strategy, I need to be able to estimate the outcome of a battle based on the relative strength of the opposing forces.

My key questions to the developers are:
    • How strong are different unit types (tanks, infantry) relative to each other?
    • Do units differ in their ability to attack and defend (e.g. infantry is stronger when defending than when attacking)?
    • What is the impact of "supporting" rather than full attack, other than the fact that the units do not move into the destination area if they win? Do suppporting units contrinute their full strength to the combat or only a portion thereof?
    • How does the "readiness" bar (not sure what it is called) under the unit icon impact the unit's ability to fight? If the bar is at 50%, does that mean the unit only fights at 50% of its ability?
    • How does bombing work? Does it damage the units directly or just reduce readiness?

This is not a comprehensive list, but I think that knowing the answers to these questions will make a big difference to my ability to play the game in a more strategic fashion.

I know the developers have visited this forum, maybe one of them could reply to this? If we can answer these questions in a sensible way, I am definitely buying the premium version!

If anybody else figures out the answer to these questions, please let us know

Thanks

AA
    AA

8. TheJoey4

TheJoey4 Active Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Awesomely put.

9. gosenbach

Apr 15, 2010
    I also think that opossing forces seem to retreat a liyyle to reaidly. There is no reason i can think of why a full 12 units in a fortified apital city should retreat to a less well defended province when i attack it with my 12. I would think that they would want to defend their capital when i win the map with a "walk in"

Anyone else notice this?

10. Aagenbag2

Aagenbag2 Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Gosenbach,

I agree - in general forces seem very keen to flee, not only in France :)

So, I will add another question to my list of "must knows":

1)How strong are different unit types (tanks, infantry) relative to each other?

2)Do units differ in their ability to attack and defend (e.g. infantry is stronger when defending than when attacking)?

3)What is the impact of "supporting" rather than full attack, other than the fact that the units do not move into the destination area if they win? Do suppporting units contrinute their full strength to the combat or only a portion thereof?

4)How does the "readiness" bar (not sure what it is called) under the unit icon impact the unit's ability to fight? If the bar is at 50%, does that mean the unit only fights at 50% of its ability?

5)How does bombing work? Does it damage the units directly or just reduce readiness?

6)What determines whether a losing force will flee or stand their ground?

11. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    hmm, is today a Russian holiday? hello? :confused:

12. lordyokomoto

lordyokomoto Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Goona dl now ;) fan of European wars so hoping this could be the replacement I'm looking for

13. gosenbach

Apr 15, 2010
    Those Easy, Inc ones are good too. The only real problem I had with those was the pure dice roll mechanic that let your infantry on shore sink a battleship. :D

I don't think that is a problem here, although it is pretty difficult to tell without much transparency.

Overall though, it is pretty solid.

14. HeroCraftGames

HeroCraftGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 2, 2012
    Dear mobile strategy fans! We greatly appreciate your interest in our game and it‘s a pleasure to read your vivid discussion and get your feedback. We’d like to sum up the most frequently asked questions and give you as full a set of answers as we can.

1. The in-game payments. The game balance is created such that there is no specific need to spend more money to complete the game perfectly, reach the top and get the gold. You can do with no additional spend. We do however give the player the possibility of accessing extra resources and that’s a way to make the gameplay easier for those who doesn’t want to or cannot find a way around the particularities of a certain level.

2. We intentionally haven't provided stats for each division type as figures with no formula wouldn’t help. The description of all formulas would make the game a little too complicated. We can give a detailed description of our combat system in our blog if this information is of great interest to a large number of players.

3. The conditions and the results of battles are not random. Each calculation is made according to fixed logic, though there is a slight range of values effecting the outcome. This means that the same set of divisions can perform a little better or worse than average. The key to possible causalities is the indicator of fighting efficiency added to the progress bar under each division.

4. In S&T you manage whole divisions, not separate tanks or soldiers. In this way we wanted to pay tribute to the highest level of realism as in this point the strategy is very close to the reality of war. Divisions are almost never completely destroyed: they could retreat, reform, etc. If you want to guarantee the complete elimination of an enemy division then you can set traps or create sensible number advantages.

Thank you once more for all your comments. We’re always grateful for your opinion and we’ll try to answer all your questions.

Regards,
    HeroCraft team.

15. Grudunza

Grudunza Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2012
    #55 Grudunza, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    It would seem that from a player's perspective, #3 is meaningless without knowing #2. How can we really make informed plans as far as what kinds of attacks will be effective without knowing the specific stats of the divisions? Please include details about that on your blog, but I would also recommend adding it as an accessible file within the game. It doesn't complicate anything unless people choose to want to access it, but without it, you're really flying blind... I want to like and purchase this game, but definitely won't without much more specific ideas about what is happening. This is a turn-based strategy wargame, not a puzzle game where I'm supposed to figure out how the game actually works, right? Presumably after playing many games I could glean some of the information from observation, but I don't have the patience or time for that, and that's not the kind of game I wanted to play with this. I find it very frustrating in its current state, without knowing more specifics about the units.

16. TheJoey4

TheJoey4 Active Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Agree - takes the strategy out of the game when you have no idea what unit youe buying is, no idea what unit you may be upgrading, etc. This really should be part of the game, i mean yeaj, you can devise a strategy to "trap their tank icons with my tank icons!" but all we can go on for how a unit performs is a readiness bar.. Which are very hard to turn green.. I mean we dont even see the ai rediness bar, let alone stats/performance of any units.

17. Aagenbag2

Aagenbag2 Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Firstly, thanks to the developers for responding to our questions - it is great to hear your viewpoint and see that you are willing to discuss our concerns. Please also remember that our concerns are really very positive: we all want to like the game and think it has massive potential.

Having said that, I also vehemently agree with the two previous posters. We absolutely need to understand the unit statistics and how these influence combat outcomes. First prize would be to have this accessible within the game, but I am happy to compromise and download a document from your blog.

I have finished the tutorial missions, but have been holding back on upgrading to premium - if you address these questions I'll be first to buy and recommend this game!

18. gosenbach

Apr 15, 2010
    Also agreed. Herocraft, your target audiance of gamers that like strategy war games is the same group of people that like stats. The people who don't want to see the stats probably playing angry birds :)

Just a post here or on your blog with the info is fine with me. Win win :)

Thank you Herocraft as well for respomding to our concerns.

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I played through 1 1/2 missions of S&T WWII, and I think the user interface needs cleaning up. In the second mission, I had to move my bomber up to a new territory to keep pace with my ground pounders who was taking territories and soon away from its coverage, but the only options that appeared round after round, as my troops started dying, was for the bomber to bomb or patrol without moving to a new base. Finally I somehow managed to get it to move up, but by then my troops were half gone and I deleted the game.

If the game was as good and clear as the first scenario, I would have bought the IAP unlock...

20. gosenbach

Apr 15, 2010
    To get your planes to reposition, select you planes and target a territory you control. The attack command changes to a move command (icon of a plane with an arrow in front of it)