Street Fighter IV- Will it Work on iDevice?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by highlyrefinedpirate, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    No, TvC isn't Street Fighter. However, I made the comparison because Capcom made both, and there are three Street Fighter characters in it who have been changed quite significantly to fit the game. Now, I'm not saying that they should suddenly give Ryu air-dashes and Kamehamehadoukens, but Capcom have shown that they can adapt existing characters to different games (i.e. the Wii's different control scheme) and adapt the controls to fit the console, so they might just pull it off here. Note the 'might'.

However
    , this is all irrelevant, because I'm just going to use this

[​IMG]

2. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

#22 Beto_Machado, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    Virtua Fighter is a 3-button game, and it's by FAR the most complex fighting series.

Also, Capcom's own CVS proved that you can translate 6-button controls to 4 just fine. It was far from the radical, "completelly changed" departure some are making it seem. Ryu and co. played like they always played, and anyone could pick up the game and play instantly.

In fact, anyone used with ports of SF knows that even at 2 buttons the game is still the same. Hell, if you played SF1 (Fighting Street) in arcades you know SF with ONE button still plays the same.

3. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    The real question is will it work on a iphone 3g?

4. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Ah, I forgot VF. I've only briefly played the latest one myself, but I've heard it's the deepest fighter out of all of them.

Yeah, I'm worried about how the framerate is going to be on my 2G. Out of all genres, fighting games are the ones that rely on completely smooth framerate the most, IMO.

5. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I respectfully disagree. There are many examples of games that have led to people complaining about "bad controls" that other players were able to master.

While the learning curve for virtual dpads can be obnoxious, with practice, it's possible to develop enough skill to make the control scheme differences irrelevant. If anything, certain moves (circular gestures) might even be easier on a touch screen.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this comes together. Hopefully the iphone's texture memory limitations won't cause force Capcom to dumb down animations.

6. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #26 Omega-F, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    Blades of Fury kinda worked because you didn't have to do any fancy movements in order to pull off the special attacks and it was as shallow as a fighter can get. I can't fathom SF4 working on an iDevice. unless you are some kind of masochist who's going to try to do a shoryuken and it'll never work 100% of the times.

Just look at the screen; it looks hilarious.

7. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I'm pretty sure it'll work well, it'll probably take some adjustment, though. When I start feeling aggressive (over a video game, yes, I know), I take it out on the buttons, and just start mashing 'em like crazy. Then you have the touchscreen... In short, it will "work", it just won't be anything like an arcade or console experience.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There you go again: anything that weakens your certainty about the platform must be dismissed!

You're getting way too predictable...

9. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    As long as the frame rate is good and akuma is playable, im buying. This is a AAA big game, so i will assume that this will be 10 bucks.

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    This is a port of a SF game for your phone. I don't expect the same level of complexity as the console counterpart. And why can't I play this game with buttons as well? I already have it on 360, so if I feel the need for buttons I can play it there. This game isn't meant to replace SFIV on consoles. It's not like if I'm a highly competitive SF player I'm going to be practicing for tournaments on my iPhone. This is just a game for people who love SF. I've had tons of portable SF games over the years, and despite all of them being watered down from their console/arcade brethren, there was still tons of enjoyment to be had from playing them and having them on the go.

Again, some of those portable SF games I've owned were missing all the buttons. It's still fun. It doesn't break the game or anything. Try playing SFIV on the console with a buddy and just use fierce punch and kick. It will still be fun, I promise, even if it's not as complex/competitive.

To me, this is the biggest announcment since GTA coming to iPhone. I, and I'm sure many others, will be purchasing day 1 barring nothing. The game looks amazing just from the screens. The button UI is ugly and obtrusive, so hopefully you can dim it or turn it off. But the graphics are quite impressive. I'm really, really excited. And I think that overall special moves are easier to pull of in SFIV than any other SF game, so I think that has the possibility of translating just fine to touch screen buttons. It would probably be nice if they put in an ultra watered down or gesture based control method, too. I think it was Alpha 3 on GBA that had an option like that. Instead of quarter circle backwards and K to do a Hurricane Kick, you'd just tap back back K instead, or something like that. It made the controls a bit easier for the scaled down experience. There's already some fighters on the app store with pretty decent controls, so if SFIV is at least as good as those then I'll be completely happy.

Street Fighter on iPhone people!!! Get excited!! :D

11. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    No way this game works.....

12. M4A1

M4A1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Ugh, I really hope they don't use those ugly buttons and joystick in the final version. C'mon Capcom, you could created something better looking.

Other than that, I'm not too worried about gameplay being bad.

13. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    How are they going to get rid of the buttons? Once again, no way this works.

14. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Having played streetfighter 2 on the snes emu on my old iPhone I can say that after a little practice you can quite easily pull off moves and as stated by a previous poster this was on an emulator which had one control method and wasn't optimised in any way for the purpose of playing streetfighter, capcom have apparently been working on the control scheme for months and I'm confident that it will control adequately enough to be a huge ammount of fun, as for people complaining about the look of the virtual joystick/buttons it was stated in I think the ign article that they had a transparency adjustment so you could theoretically make them virtually invisible.

15. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    NBA Live is nothing related to this genre but i think the controls on that game could work on this, the dragging of buttons left and right could be cool
    also swiping through button to button could work too ;)
    like in the controller,sliding your thumb from back,down to forward until your thumb rougher than a rock :p

16. M4A1

M4A1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    I didn't say anything about getting rid of buttons. I just said I hope they don't use the ugly buttons in the screenshots, but rather, use some better looking buttons.

You seem very sure of that, have you played the game yourself? Or have you seen gameplay videos that the rest of us haven't seen?

17. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oh sh*t ... Now that's a serious challenger :s

18. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Ok, you are right. I'm going to lower my standards and be totally happy with whatever developers throw at me.

In fact, I'm going to convince myself from now that games like this work on an iDevice. To celebrate this moment I'm going to play Megaman 2 on the iPhone!

19. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    This won't work and even if it did , the gameplay would be horrible.

Bottom Line : Cheaper, bad gameplay , bad controls ,bad graphics , no controller = what's the point of streetfighter btw blades of fury is one of the worst games I've played in my life.

20. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Don't trip; i'll still cop your game. Yours reminds me of tekken/virtua fighter.:D