Strike Wing - Space Combat Sim [Universal] (by Dream Builder Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Vaipa, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Truncana

Truncana Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I just said "You are my hero!"
    Now I say: INSTANT BUY AT RELEASE!!!
    Great improvements!
    I personally know one of the original GOF team and I can say that they where a little, little company as you. And seeing your progress and your quality I can surely tell you that a bright future is opening for your business!!!
    Really, really good job, guys!

Now just a little annoying question: WHEN?!?!
    :):):)

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #22 Nullzone, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    @Vaipa: Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer. And yes, I know perfectly well pricing on iOS is in a very sad state indeed. What I wrote was more than a bit wishful thinking, that good quality will be bought at good prices, and not for pennies as it is now.

But enough of that, sorry for the short rant. Back to the game:
    Definitely a day one buy for me. And should you need another playtester before release, feel free to send me a PM.

If I get you right, it is focused on combat, with little to no story. I'd prefer a storyline, or at least a rich background (look at Ravenmark:Mercenaries for a good example of rich and detailed world, without any real ingame storyline currently).
    But it can work well without (back)story (Star Warfare is a good example for such a game) , so I wouldn't worry about it ;)
    Correct me if I am wrong: my perception is that the combat-oriented games without any big story(line) attract a much larger, but less mature crowd, which usually results in more sales.

And I found the two GoF games rather ...average, once the novelty of having a good-looking space shooter on iOS. Your screenshots show a fresh and novel approach, especially to ship design. I like it that they look heavier overall and more massive, just what you expect a reasonable military-grade figher spacecraft to look like in a more realistic setting.

3. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    Game designer - Dream Builder Studios
    We do have a storyline, and the missions are in a chronological order, however the story is not told throughout the game. We have some lore, short story bits, and more info on the website that I cannot link due to the TA forum policy. It's true it's not very obvious, but... we're working on that.

As for the crowd.. we just hope people will like it, regardless of age and maturity, however the game has a certain classic space sim vibe to it which most old-school gamers will get. It is, however, subtle :)

4. sonnydeal

sonnydeal Member

Sep 10, 2013
    I'm very excited about his game ! I love the fact that you have added a cockpit mode, a touch of immersion the GoF games were lacking.
    +1 release day purchase for me!

5. Jacky

Jacky Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Great graphics! Is there any landing or taking off? If so, it would be perfect!

6. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    if there was a beta test I would be happy and joined the beta

7. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    @Jacky no, the game does not have that element. Maybe in the future, but don't bet on it :) Take off and landings from a space carrier are not a fun gameplay element unless you build specifically for it, and even then it can get repetitive and time consuming. Plus, our missions don't have checkpoints or in-mission saves of any sort, so failing a landing would annoy more than help :)
    @Game.PN thanks :) We're past that point unfortunately. Now we're just waiting for the powers that be to green-light the build.
    @sonnydeal we aim to please :)

8. lokiman

lokiman Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Vampire
    Principality of Zeon
    Freelancer, an action packed space simulator with nice storyline was my favorite game 10 years ago and it is still good even now :) Too bad we didn't get a sequel (Star Citizen maybe?) ...

Anyway, Strike Wing looks very nice and if there will be no problems with touch based controls then we may have a winner for these kind of game on iOS.

Good luck with the development - I am really looking forward to play the game!

9. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    This looks great. I'm looking forward to it.

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Vaipa: No saving during a mission? What happens when I have to quit before I finished one? Will I lose that progress? If yes, that would be rather annoying. Autosave on exit is quite a standard feature on iOS these days, wouldn't want to miss it anymore.

11. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I think landing should be included. It doesn't have to be detailed - just line up your ship with the strip and adjust speed then when near it automates and brings you in. Even Wing Commander had that.

12. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    #32 Vaipa, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    @Nullzone Missions are designed specifically for short play, therefore no save is necessary. They are made specifically to keep you on your toes, but not to force you to wait for stuff to happen.
    @bluewomble88 The Strike Wing story is about a small fighter squadron that does bad stuff to enemies behind enemy lines. They are not carrier based, so landing would be pointless from the story point of view as well. On the other hand, adding landing just because reasons would require assets that increase the packet size above the 50mb target, which would make the game not downloadable via 3G. Since that requirement is mandatory for us, we sometimes have to make tough calls. Also, it would delay the project's release, a project which is right now pretty much finished. We would all love to make the next Wing Commander for mobile, but there are some resource budgets that we have to abide by, at least at launch.

13. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
    Oh my God!!!

We are almost there!!!

I can't wait!!!

14. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Submitted! :)

15. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    Is the game submitted? Like to beta test it !!!

16. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
    Any news on this awesome game?

17. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
  18. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I think it will be here in about 2 weeks.

19. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
    fingers crossed!!!

20. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    The game is ready, and we're working to improve it past the launch event, but we really want to see it pass the submission process before announcing anything else.

However, since we were a bit inactive, here are some more pictures of our ships :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned!