Summoner Wars (Plaid Hat Games + Playdek)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by currymutton, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heavensblade23

heavensblade23 Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    As I understand it, some people like the pen and paper version of this game more than MTG.

Definitely deserves more hype than it's getting.

Releasing that close to MTG 2013 was probably unfortunate timing.

2. Vernimator

Vernimator Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    3D Artist, Mobile App Developer
    Charlotte Area, NC
    SW plays significantly different then MtG and has a strong core base that will continue to grow after release. I think many who find Magic 2013 overly complicated will like SW's somewhat more simplified rules and engaging game play. And then there will be many like myself who is an avid Magic 2013 player but want's it all and will gladly purchase all of SW's Factions day one. :D

3. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah between this, ascension and MTG I'll have all the iOS card games I need for a long time!

4. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Nightfall is going to get an expansion soon which will increase it's depth quite a bit as well.

5. penguinspl

penguinspl Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Not relase yet:( maybe later i want play this game now:) :)

6. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    Most apps appear to be taking 7 days. Hopefully Friday will be the day.

7. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    For the last two major Playdek submissions, it was a 5 to 6 day turnaround. Nightfall was submitted on March 29 (Thursday) and released on April 3rd (Tuesday). Ascension: Storm of Souls was submitted on May 4th (Friday) and released on May 10th (Thursday). Of course turnaround depends on how busy Apples approvers are at that particular time, but we should see it anytime now between tonight and Friday.

8. Strangiato

Strangiato Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Nightfall was released on April 5.

9. heavensblade23

heavensblade23 Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Yeah I know, I'm just saying people might not be eager to buy another card game so soon after MTG.

10. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    The fact that it's free will allow people to see that this is hugely different from Magic and will probably attract the SRPG crowd as well, people who bought Ravenmark, GLWG and Hunters. Magic is very different and honestly the content in that game is lacking right now with mono decks galore. If someone is just going to say 'Oh another card game' when they see SW then that person is simply uninformed.

11. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Vernimator, just to confirm, the Mercenary card pack is NOT the faction. As stated in an interview at Blagog.com:
    Also,
    Selling the Mercenaries together is probably a way of putting a value on the promo cards.

12. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Is it out yet? Is it out yet? Is it out yet? Is it out yet? Is it out yet? Is it out yet? Is it out yet? Is it out yet? Is it out yet? Is it out yet? Is it out yet? Is it out yet? :D

13. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    No. In addition, Agricola was moved down to a Fall release. I guess Le Havre will serve me well until then.

14. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    Well the physical game Reinforcement Packs contained units for two factions and a couple of Merc units. For the iOS version they split up the physical packs to correspond with it's faction so it makes sense to put all of the mercs in a pack of there own and throw in the promos to boot. Merc's as a faction would be released later.

15. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Yeah, that makes sense. It would've been a cool bonus to have had the Mercenary faction as a special addition at launch since they're going to do staggered releases for the factions anyway. Wonder what the next two factions will be. Benders would be nice.

16. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    The Filth would be my request. :)

17. Jovai

Jovai Member

Jul 14, 2011
    I work at a brewery.
    Hampton, VA
    #57 Jovai, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    Summoner Wars is probably my favorite 2-player game in my cabinet (Okay, maybe Twilight Struggle, but it's up there). I have all the available factions and reinforcements. I have a ridiculously wonky work schedule that does not allow many of my games to hit the table anymore. I am very excited to see this hit the app store.

Hopefully it opens up the opportunity to play many games on my time. Between this and Eclipse hitting later this year . . . Geez. So many good iOS boardgames.

18. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    Make sure you add your Game Center name to the Summoner Wars iOS Roll Call over at the Plaid Hat forums.

19. Jovai

Jovai Member

Jul 14, 2011
    I work at a brewery.
    Hampton, VA
    Vernimator -

All over that! I know some of the forum vets rolled me on VASSAL but it's just such a great game. It will be interesting to see how the game evolves with so many people playing it.

Patiently awaiting Shadow Elves and Swamp Orcs is going to be a bit frustrating. I suppose I'll end up running TO/JE until the rest come out. We'll see

20. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    Ah, thanks for the heads-up on that link! It'll be nice having a stable of people to play the game with :)