Summoner Wars (Plaid Hat Games + Playdek)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by currymutton, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

As far as I know, Playdek hasn't announced any details about pricing or the acquisition of additional cards, except to say that the app will be free to download and play with one faction, that it will cost a buck to be able to play online, and that there will be a discounted, bundle price to purchase all of the factions that will be available at launch. Several factions still aren't ready.

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    #122 VeganTnT, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    Summoner wars isn't a CCG, so there are no boosters. Each faction has a set army (though they come with extra commons so you can adjust them a bit).

I THINK the IAP will be one for each new faction and each factions reinforcement pack.

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Summoner Wars is not a CCG (ack!), it's basically a Living Card Game which means that each expansion is complete in itself. You'll be buying entire decks which could be 99c-2.99 maximum.

4. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Only recently started getting a little into these card/board games. I like Ascension a lot. Magic is pretty fun (haven't unlocked the full game yet though), but feels so slow compared to Ascension. And with all the hype that I see for Summoner Wars, I'm getting pretty curious!

5. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Still in review, hang on to your hats folks.

6. xiel

xiel Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    how long does an app stay in "review"?

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #127 Ayjona, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    Ah. I know that Summoner Wars is essentially a Living Card game and no regular CCG, but I've seen it referred to as a collectible card game nonetheless (in the sense that players still purchase extra packs of cards, only without the blind-buy purchase model), and was under the impression that these extra packs came in the form of boosters (albeit with specified contents). Now I understand the distribution model. Thanks.

Sound like a nice business model. Will make it easier to draw in some of my close-fisted friends ;)

EDIT: At some point, I would still like to see a regular CCG/TCG, with the persistence and sense of progression that comes from gradually acquiring cards, and the constant revision of upgrading old decks and constructing new ones (plus preferably the possibility to acquire new cards/the IAP currency used for new cards through gameplay alone, no IAPs required, in the way of Urban Rivals, Assassin's Creed: Recollection, Shadow Era, etc), but with the one thing all iOS CCGs currently lack: asynchronous play.

But for now, I'll be excited for the admittedly rather refreshing Summoner Wars model ;)

(Incidentally, I know of no asynchronous game for iOS, or any platform, that offers gradual progression and persistence in between matches, but RAD Soldiers promises to fill that niche.)

8. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    That sucks, so close to getting it tonight now at least two more nights. What a bummer!

9. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    Games will still be released tomorrow night, right?

10. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    for games that have already been approved and have a delayed release, I don't see why not. SW however hasn't been approved yet

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Yep. We just need need for it to be approved for sale and playdek can do the rest.

It could have been approved already and we're just waiting for playdek to start their work day (I don't know where they're located to figure out time difference) so they can flip the switch.

I may just be delusional at this point though :rolleyes:

12. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    My hat grew old and died. What do I do now?

13. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm pretty certain that Apple is the culprit here, or Fate if you will. Playdek would definitely announce if the app was approved, pretty much at any time it happened.

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Hmm, I figured Playdek would have normal business hours when it came to some things like server maintanince. I don't know how big their team is but I'm sure they have to sleep and can't be waiting all night for the approval like we can.

15. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Well, I'm sure apple won't approve it in the middle of the night. But even then I think there must be someone who is keeping a regular eye on the status. Might be just wishful thinking, but a man can hope!

The final update from Gary

16. Willm

Willm Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Then it would have taken 2 weeks almoust, 2 weeks of me checking AppStore 10 Times' a day.

17. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Talk about the power of hype. Even better, we do this to ourselves, deliberately.

18. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    At least it's justified hype. Summoner Wars is going to be my most played iOS app hands down. I'm sure it will hold a similar position for most people who have been fretting over this release.

19. Snooper

Snooper Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Australia
    How haven't I heard of this until now! Looks amazing. Wondering if anyone has links to basic strategy guides, never played the physical version but I think I'll be putting a fair amount of time into this. Also what race will be unlocked without IAP?

20. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    The free faction is Phoenix Elves. Note that you'll have to buy at least one item to gain access to online multiplayer.

Also, so many new releases today and it makes me so mad that we'll have to wait something around 2-3 days more for our slice of heaven.