Universal Summoner Wars (Plaid Hat Games + Playdek)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jul 4, 2012.

1. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Yeah.. The tutorial is not very clear about where to place the wall. I just randomly placed the wall until it was valid.

The basic rules of the game is easy enough for me to grasp. All the different abilities of the cards is overwhelming for me right now. The biggest hurdle for me is to learn all the units first... My first impression is being overwhelmed. It does seem like a good game wih a lot of depth to be discovered. Just gotta spend more time with the game...

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I think that was the first time I posted on BBG even though I've had an account for quite a while. Those forums are ancient though, I had a hell of a time just trying to figure out how to post. (I don't have room in my head for much else as I'm working on deck building right now ;))

3. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    Still nothing. How long does this server issue normally take?

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I've heard people on hear say it took them close to an hour but I'm pretty sure that was the itunes store timing them out for making too many download requests in a short amount of time.

I force quit the appstore and retry until I connect with a server that has it available. Worked for me :)

5. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

This still hasn't worked for me. So frustrated. :mad:

6. rekirtS

rekirtS Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2011
    This game is awesome :D.

GC: Rekirts for anyone wanting a good game. I'm a noobie though but i'm learning fast!

7. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Must be a fairly widespread thing. I'm having trouble downloading other games and updates too.

8. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    #28 tecwrtr, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    I keep getting "this item is no longer available for purchase." Is that what others are getting also? This makes it sound like it's been pulled?!?

9. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I just played the tutorial, and it really is looking like a fun game which reminds me of Paleo Wars (or Paleolitic Wars, I forget) which I doubt many here have tried. You can search for it, it's an iOS game, though I'm not sure if there is a lite version.

But...PLEASE Playdek, for the love of my eyesight, change the way the cards zoom on the iPhone. At least include the option to have the cards fill the entire screen. Being able to double tap the text to just have that portion of the card fill the screen would be a great second option.

I love your games but can't play for more than 10 minutes at a stretch.

10. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

Yes. Same message. I have tried dozens of times already.

11. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Same here!!

12. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks. I guess I'll just keep trying. Aarrgghh!

13. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Agreed

14. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Never had this happen to me before and I've picked up lots of games in the first hour of release with no "unavailable" messages.

Anyway, tho can't d/l game so can't comment on sizing of cards here, I had issues with text on ascension and several other games as well. I quickly learn them by image and all is well. If you think this might be a game for you, play through a few times and hopefully you stop having to zoom all the time and just remember what the cards do.

15. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    agreed

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    #36 VeganTnT, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    Critical houghts so far.

I wish the highlight was brighter cause I often don't even notice it

Tapping the opponents dice on an iPad is annoying because the top center is not an easy place to tap when holding it in both hands

Deck builder on iPad isn't working (can't slide cards out)

Deck builder on iPhone works but doesn't sync across devices (I was pretty sure playdek said it syncs with iCloud)

A setting to auto pass phases where I can't do anything would be appreciated

Remove the buy button from the card gallery, especially for users that bought everything

The criticisms about the small card sizes on the iPhone are totally accurate but it's necessary since you need to be able to see the entire board. You can double tap anywhere on the map to zoom into that area which should help.

As for the game itself... Well it's my favorite card game of all time and playdek has done it justice. No surprise there.

EDIT: I should also mention that I've played for a long time and like ascension, carcassonne, nueroshima hex, etc I play on my iPad and only use the iPhone versions to play online when I'm not home since I'm already well versed in the tiles/cards/pieces

17. Spatzi

Spatzi Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Quite enjoying the loading screen. But that is all i get. Crash, crash, crash...

18. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I know that the card have to be small; I'm referring to the size of the cards and text after you have already zoomed in on the card by double tapping. I wish there was at least an option that would, when zooming in on a card, have the card fill the screen. Following that, if you could then double tap the text box on the already zoomed in card to further increase the text size (by removing the symbols and art), I would finally splurge on the expansions to the Playdek games I already own.

If you have an ipad, of course, this is no problem.

And mind you, I've played a lot of iOS ccg/tcg/deckbuilding games, beginning with the original Orions. Playdek certainly makes some of the best...they just seem to have the most agonizingly tiny text, card, and gui features.

You know how I feel after I play a round of a Playdek game? Have you seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? I feel like a cross between the Nazi who saw inside the Ark of the Covenant and the guy from Clockwork Orange who has his eyelids pulled open with clamps.

19. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    The download still isn't working for me.

Is it possible for someone who has access to the servers that are working to gift the app to me? Is that a workaround?

20. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    It came out during the only 5 hours I wasn't looking, and now it won't even download? I feel betrayed...