Universal Summoner Wars (Plaid Hat Games + Playdek)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jul 4, 2012.

1. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #461 tops2, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
    I agree about adding something for those who don't play online. Maybe just even a randomized string of matches against all the factions and end with a factions "rival" (if it exists?). Could be similar to Street Fighters' randomized single player mode? Or craft a few puzzle/"extended tutorial" for each faction like Neuroshima Hex Puzzle (with all the cards non-randomized) to teach beginners a few tactics, the finer points in the game, and what to look out for.. I kind of wish Ascension had at least a few puzzles too..but that's another story. But as pointed out, the game itself is still fantastic.

This is what I'm mainly waiting for. After all the factions' AI comes it, maybe work on a few setting for the AI (ie: aggressive, defensive, randomized, easy, medium, hard...or anything else).

That being said, one of these days I should just try these games online. I'm one of those who prefer playing single player. =P lol..

2. Faemanx

Faemanx Active Member

Dec 9, 2011
    great game but two problems.

1. i purchased the everything bundle but the option to buy the reinforcement pack is greyed out. which has some cards i need to build a deck. why does this not work??

2. the game seemingly has trouble connecting to the app store. either that or its my ipad 2. but please fix the question above. or the bug or whatever the problem is. i forked out the cash i expect better than this.

3. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    If you bought the bundle you already bought the Reinforcement pack.

Everything in the store should now be grayed out because you own it all and there is no reason to purchase anything twice.

4. dhgamer

dhgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    New York
    The everything bundle includes "Everything" including all the reinforcement packs. They're greyed out because you already own them.

5. Faemanx

Faemanx Active Member

Dec 9, 2011
    yes i bought the everything bundle. however when i go to the deckbuilding i see three champions in each faction that have x0 next to them. and its failing to connect me to the
    IAP section at all.

6. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    The zero indicates there are zero of that card present in the deck you have loaded.

Tap hold and drag the card with zero from the top down over another card to replace.
    Tap hold and drag cards from the bottom to the top to remove.

7. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    #467 onewithchaos, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

I'm fine if people think more offline options need to be added but realistically, this game is a multiplayer game. It makes a lot more sense to work at implementing better online and user experience than by adding single player content. Though I do agree that having more factions for AI would be good.

Playdek is a business and they do have limited resources. I feel as if their time is better spent focusing on an amazing multiplayer experience rather than trying to add single player content where it isn't needed. There's a lot to say about Neuroshima Hex, and while NH puzzle all is good, I woulve been a whole lot happier if they would've just made a better online experience.

a great example is how big of a battery hog this app is right now. :p

8. Faemanx

Faemanx Active Member

Dec 9, 2011
    bah! im an idiot lol...is it just me or are fallen kingdim one of the more powerful factions. they look pretty sweet. and thanks for your help. much aprecciated :)

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Haha.. True. As a minimum, I'm hoping Playdek releases a base AI for each faction and I'm happy. Other single player modes is just icing on the cake. =)

But I guess some priority is more important like the 1 level undo for non combat phases and multiplayer among other things. The 2v2 mode sound like it'll be crazy!

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Well, at this point I would actually just be very happy if Playdek would look into the flaky stability of the app on an iPad 1. Even after resetting, it seems to crash every time I open the match after clicking on a notification, and more often than not if I receive a notification - from iMessage, for instance - when I'm playing it will throw me out of the game.

I'm loving it, nonetheless, but would love it if it was more stable.

Of course, I'm certainly waiting for the remaining AIs and more factions - and buy the "Everything Bundle 2" as soon as it hits :)

11. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    I agree that Playdek should focus more on the multiplayer experience, but I would like to see different levels of AI included for each faction, like there are in Ascension. However, I realize that programming the AI for Summoner Wars is very challenging.

I don't think it's worth their time to add other aspects to the single player experience, particularly ones that aren't already part of the game itself, like a campaign mode.

12. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Some optional handicaps (i.e., modest advantages for the AI) would be a good addition, without a huge amount of programming required. They could also be used between human players of different skill.

13. relsircspotcat

relsircspotcat Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Apps Developer
    Just installed the game yesterday and bought the bundle.

Enjoying the game a lot so far. :D

I learned the basics of summoner wars 2 years ago. (From actual physical game) I was excited to find out that its released in iOS.

So far my favorite factions seems to be:
    Phoenix elves, Fallen Kingdom and Guild Dwarves. I'll probably try and master these 3 first before moving to other factions.

For players, who will be playing this game online. Please add me up :) my gamecenter is: relsirc

Just finished one online game.
    Me using FK while my opponent was using JE.
    I had the board advantage and magic advantage but he was able to surprise attack my summoner for the kill. :p Bad positioning on my part. (Made some mistakes in the 1st 2 turns lol)

14. relsircspotcat

Dec 19, 2010
    Apps Developer
    argh I lost another match where I had overwhelming board prescence. :(

I think I really need to place my summoner carefully.

15. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I think it's not as much about quantity but about quality. Definitely paying attention to covering the walls placed by your opponent, and to your summoner as well.

16. relsircspotcat

Dec 19, 2010
    Apps Developer
    yeah, more like I had a lot of meat shields. So I thought I was safe, but suddenly opponent had a kill a common spell so he was able to attack my summoner directly. My bad for not knowing the event cards in that faction.

Its a good lesson in positioning. Right now, I'm placing my walls defensively.:)

17. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    One thing I find useful is also to use those "meat shields" as stalling points, blocking summon spots - especially in your side of the map. Either that or walls, yes. :)

18. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    So I'm slowly learning this game, and while I still suck :p, I'm ready to buy something so I can try online play. I just want to buy 1 thing because if I really enjoy it I'll probably end up buying the bundle. Anyway, what's a good first purchase? I'm thinking maybe the mercenary pack since it can be used with whatever decks I wind up getting. Is that a good idea or should I get something else?

19. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I am still playing orcs, and I love the walls as to be expected. Most of the meat stalls are wasted magic points that are very useful to raise champion to close the game (at least with the AI).

20. lookmanohands

lookmanohands Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Suggestion: During the draw phase, display the player's hand in the center of the screen in large format where you can then easily swipe between all your cards (similar to the Card Gallery).#

As it is now, I have to a scroll through them on the left and double click on each one to see them all (especially hard to read event cards). After the draw phase checking what cards I just got (and reminding myself what I already had) is a tad cumbersome every turn.