Universal Summoner Wars (Plaid Hat Games + Playdek)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I mentioned a couple of pages back about how I lost a match because my summoner used his special ability instead of his normal attack, and the enemy summoner just happened to roll four fives and kill me instantly.

I can understand the desire to be suspicious. ^_-

2. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I am not suspicious, I just miss lady luck ;-)

3. lookmanohands

lookmanohands Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Noooooooo! I was interrupted during my turn, and when I went back I thought, yeah I'm done with moving. Wrong idiot! I meant to move the lion I just summoned...now instead of killing my opponent's units he'll just kill mine. What a waste, and I feed his magic pile. Sigh. My own fault. I just needed to vent:)

4. Ashraam

Ashraam Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    France
    Up for async games :)

5. rekirtS

rekirtS Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2011
    #545 rekirtS, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    I'm new to this game too but I never found the ai challenging whatsoever. My first game was close but after that the ai's never put up any real challenge. Maybe you guys need to do just a little outside reading to really get the strategy in the game. Keep at it and you'll get the hang of it!

Edit: try the plaid hat summoner wars forum.

6. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    If you actually saw ten 3's in a row I would be convinced something is wrong.

But I'm not going to believe that it happened just because you say so.

7. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Try beating TO AI with with CL :D

8. rekirtS

Apr 25, 2011
    Not a fan of cloaks ha. JE and VG for me!

9. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm still getting the hang of VG, I'm really wondering whether Stalwart Archers are worth anything. Getting more than 2 on the board costs so much, and VG seems to be based around champion play. If I want Summoning Surge to be available and still have the Archers on the board I'll need for my Guardian Knights to be gone, which is dangerous. I'm thinking of leaving just maybe 2 or 3 Archers in my deck.

Also, TA just posted about an upcoming game's announced release date. Summoner Wars never got a post about anything, despite all the commotion in the forums. And they usually talk about something if get lots of attention in the forums. Eli must REALLY not like this game ;)

10. rekirtS

Apr 25, 2011
    I don't like angels, riders, or anything else and the archers range 2/2 with a second one is a good deal. I keep 6 in my deck to draw them anytime I need them. Don't go overboard though. The only common I summon except the occasional spear grounder.

11. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    #551 sapphire_neo, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    You don't summon Priests or Guardian Knights? o_O That makes no sense.

12. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    #552 soldat7, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    Which is a darn shame. Summoner Wars is inarguably the best, most strategic asynchronous game on the App store. I'm genuinely surprised that there has been no mention of it on the front page. Given the tripe that gets highlighted on TA and remembering the Ascension review debacle, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.

13. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    TA is not an enthusiast site at all. It's an iOS gaming news site that has hugely broad appeal and that's part of the problem.

Also, might I just say that this game is ridiculously addictive? Like crazy addictive :( I can spend a good hour on it without even noticing. I doubt any app is going to replace this as my GotY.

14. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    And games like Summoner Wars do a lot to strengthen the diverse, high quality library of the iOS. I guess if it were an endless runner or a time management game, things would be different.

15. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA

Done! :)

16. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    Also, Gabriel.Voyager, Exact-Psience and FPE, if you are looking for a total newbie to play against, please feel free to add me.

And to all my Ascension and Nightfall friends, please feel free to keep crushing me. I'm learning from the experience. (I hope!) :)

17. rekirtS

Apr 25, 2011
    Well I meant to replace the archers. Think I have 2-3 priests and prob 6 GK's. Usually magic fodder.

18. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Another vote for the SW!

I am a total noob too. I just punch that Everything Bundle (#1?!) button and I am supposed to be up for an online game.

But I think since I have zero knowledge about the game, I think I am exploring the AI with the deck builder before bring myself forward to be beaten by you guys.... :D

This is definitely more complex than Ascension and NightFall.

BTW, in regard with what tecwrtr says, it is very apparent that I am very much towards to bottom of the food chain (if one such exists).

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I think archers are their strengths too. And the GKs do a pretty good job of making sure the are in multiples. Priests compliment them by staying at the back and doing what he does best.

20. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

Total newbie here as well. I notice that some SW sharks have sent me game invites. I do plan on accepting those invites, although it will be at the expense of my spotless online record. Okay, my record is 0-0, but still.........

Gabriel and ExactPsience, please send me GC friend request and we can take turns making huge mistakes playing this game.