Universal Summoner Wars (Plaid Hat Games + Playdek)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jul 4, 2012.

1. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Can't gift it because it is free.

2. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

Damn. I feel stupid. :)

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Challenge for early adopters or just conisuers of the physical game, care to try to succinctly sum up some of the factions, especially the initially included AI playable ones? I plan on grabbing the game ASAP and just doing the flat $7.99 IAP, but am still curious.

Like are the orcs all about cheap grunts and the elves focusing on ranged combat (I'm just taking guesses here as I know nothing beyond what was taught in that "Smiley" tutorial of the physical game)?

4. Strangiato

Strangiato Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    I assume you've only played the tutorial? The magnified cards in the tutorial on iPhone are smaller since we have several points where we want to put a tutorial text box up next to a zoomed card. If you try playing a regular game, you'll see that the cards do in fact magnified to (almost) fill the entire screen.

I'll look into doing something with magnification of just the text box. We might be able to do something similar to what we set up with touching the status icons to display the card that generates that effect.

5. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Strangiato, what's going on with this release? Many of us can't download the game.

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Is this some cruel joke of fate? I don't know whether to be happy or mad. Gotta keep hitting that install button -.-

7. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Crashes on startup on iPad 2. This is kind of a new experience with Playdek. Regarding the comments of more successful people here, doesn't seem so hot, even if it is working... :(

8. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    Strangiato--------any idea when the ITunes server issue will be fixed? I have never had this happen before.

This $8 has been burning a hole in my pocket for weeks.

9. Strangiato

Feb 11, 2011
    This is probably about as brief as it can get:

Phoenix Elves - direct damage to reduce die roll randomness
    Tundra Orcs - strong combat values, weaker abilities/event cards
    Guild Dwarves - wall destruction
    Cave Goblins - swarm with lots of cheap, weak units
    Fallen Kingdom - undead faction, lots of recover from graveyard, "magic point economics" are very different from other factions
    Vanguards - strong offense, weak defense, only decent healers in the game, most often slow played until you can get a strong champion out
    Cloaks - weaker units, but lots of "tricky" effects, Summoner can copy any other unit's ability, and that's usually the key to playing well
    Jungle Elves - stronger units, lots of movement effects

I wouldn't recommend playing Vanguards or Cloaks until after you're more familiar with the game. Most Vanguard players will probably want to also get the reinforcement pack or the mercenary pack to make them more competitive.

10. Strangiato

Feb 11, 2011
    This is just my best guess at what's happened, but here goes:

I set an availability date for the app of July 9, 2012. This was intentionally far enough in the future that once the app was approved, I could adjust that date forward and release the app on my schedule and test the finished version of the app against our servers before announcing to everyone that the app is ready. We did this because when we released Ascension last year, it was released to the AppStore immediately after approval and left us scrambling to get our servers sorted. This is the EXACT SAME process I used when we released Food Fight and Nightfall, and it worked as I intended it in both cases. The only difference in our process was that on previous releases we didn't make any announcement that we'd submitted to the AppStore, just that the app was coming soon.

So, after waiting in line for 11 days, the app finally goes into review yesterday afternoon, but the review team went home for the day before approving it. Unexpectedly, they came back this morning and approved the app at 8:15am Pacific. But for some reason completely unknown to me, they ignored our availability date setting. At 8:25am, the app was "Ready for Sale" and visible on the AppStore if you had the link. So I downloaded it, ran a couple tests, sent Colby the direct link so he could give it a try as well. By 9:00am, someone realized that the app was available and announced this on all of the appropriate forums. And then I started hearing reports of download issues. So I figured it must be related to the availability date settings, and I rolled that back to July 3, hoping it would fix the issue. But it had no effect. I was getting the download errors at first, but then was able to successfully download on both iPad and iPhone, so I'm hoping it's just a propogation issue.

We've got a WTF request in with Apple, but I'm not expecting to hear anything back today. I'll let you know if I learn anything more.

11. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    #51 Kirenx, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    I hope the IPhone version gets some patching. It is nearly impossible to tell the difference between cards when not zoomed in, makes it a huge hassle to play. Also sometimes needing to click or try dragging a card multiple times to get it to activate, feels really clunky.

12. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    I am SO irritated. I am now having the same server issue trying to download Haggis, a new iOS release of one of the best climbing card games out there. It's on par with Tichu.

What the hell is wrong with you, Apple? Why don't you want my damn money? It was a total genius move to have your servers not working well on a holiday. You know, a time when there are thousands of apps on sale.

13. Alton

Alton Member

Apr 28, 2011
    I logged out with my account and logged in with my wife's and it let me download it. Deleted and logged back in with my account and the "removed from store" error returned. Seems to be account based, I don't know if that helps you troubleshoot at all...

14. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    So, from a little testing it's available to people in the US, at least.

15. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    #55 Gabriel.Voyager, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    Are you kidding me? I'm waiting for days and now app store said me that Summoner Wars is no longer avaiable!? WTF! :mad:

Edit: i'm Italian... Now in Italy was the 00:05 of the 05/07 (day/mounth as we use in europe ;)

16. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    Not me. :(

17. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    I appreciate the tip. Unfortunately, my family shares an ITunes account. :(

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

19. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    Not me either. :(

20. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Amazing... Apple has done an incredibly fine job on Summoner Wars from the get go :mad: