Universal Summoner Wars (Plaid Hat Games + Playdek)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jul 4, 2012.

1. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    Well, I was able to download Haggis through the App Store on my desktop computer. I thought that was the solution to the server problem. Unfortunately, when I tried to download Summoner Wars the same way, I got the dreaded, "This application is temporarily unavailable" message.

2. Alyindar

Alyindar Well-Known Member

My son and I have a lot of fun with Summoner Wars on the tabletop, very much looking forward to getting this onto my iPad! Definitely going with the full bundle, Fallen Kingdom and the Shadow Elves have always worked best with my playstyle, I hope both are available at launch.

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Ret-Talus is pleased with your allegiance and he will be available, Selundar will just watch from the Shadows for now :)

PS: He might be in the first DLC which will have 4 new factions.

4. Snooper

Snooper Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Australia
    Bought the everything bundle, been messing around with a few of the factions offline and so far Cave Goblins seem really cool. A few 0 cost units, awesome summoner, good abilities (at least they seem good, could be worthless for all I know). But man that tundra orc freeze ability is annoying.

Also no problems donwloading here in Aus.

5. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    To people playing, do you unlock anything by playing the game, like Magic 2013? It's a great incentive to get me to play single player.

6. UScr00ge

UScr00ge Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Still can't download this. Very frustrating.

7. Paradoxish

Paradoxish Member

Oct 15, 2011
    #67 Paradoxish, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    No, the game isn't really set up that way. The single player is just skirmish vs. the AI and factions/reinforcements are IAP.

It's also ridiculously fun and this is an incredibly solid implementation. I'm blown away.

Edit- My only complaints are the lack of undo options for non-dice rolling actions and the fact that it's a pain to switch between single player and multiplayer games. Having to jump back to the main menu sucks, but that's really nitpicking so whatever.

8. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    One of my friends in the US tried to download it with my account, no luck, He can download it with his account. Apple, you're doing a bang up job of releasing these games on the 4th but it's worth nothing if it's going to happen like this.

9. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Oh. Kinda expected given previous Playdek games, but a bit disappointing still. :(

10. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Magic got me to play the SP campaign no doubt, but I have put almost no time into its multiplayer given the nature of how matches are set up and the realtime gameplay, not to mention the mono decks. Playdek pedigree means robust online async gameplay that will keep you coming back even an year later.

11. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Well, to be fair, Magic simply isn't the ideal game for async MP, so it's not the developers fault. Nightfall is a Playdek game and it doesn't work well for async either.

I do like Playdek games a lot though. They are very polished, with great interfaces. Though it still baffles me that there's no chat

12. Vernimator

Vernimator Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    3D Artist, Mobile App Developer
    Charlotte Area, NC
    in Magic 2013 I have only played the single player campaign and custom games against the AI. With my busy schedule I can not devote time to realtime multiplayer.

I have Ascension with all expansions as well as Nightfall and purchased all of them on the day of release. I never played async multiplayer until a week or so ago just to check it out in preparation for SW. What a mistake I have made. Async is awesome and I have gone the better part of a year only playing single player. I'm still kicking myself in the ass. :eek:

Now if I can just get iTunes to let me download the darn SW game I'll be in gamer heaven for quite some time. :mad:

13. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    One of the app i most wanted... One of the worst launch ever... All my hype is gone and now i'm tired of waiting, i don't know if i download it if never will be avaiable.

14. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I disagree on Nightfall being a poor fit for async, the last update made life a lot easier and if you're used to the game and know the cards then it works out very well. I'm still waiting for the Martial Law update to jump back in, but I might just start playing again before that.

It is a terrible launch, but Playdek isn't to be blamed here in the slightest. Blame Apple.

15. Spatzi

Spatzi Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Let me get this straight. The starter game only lets you play elves versus elves?
    Not even one other faction to try out?

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    No, you get to use the elves versus one of the 4 AI currently in the game. The remaining 4 factions will get their AI in an update

17. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    There should be 4 AI factions you can play against.

18. heavensblade23

heavensblade23 Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Blame the popularity of F2P. Personally I'd have just had the app include all the factions and price it at $7.99 but unfortunately you get less sales that way.

19. Spatzi

Spatzi Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Nope. When I try to start a game every other faction except elves has got the lock on it.

20. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    You can only play the Elves. There are 4 different AI Factions you can play against. Your original post mentioned Elves vs Elves.