Universal Summoner Wars (Plaid Hat Games + Playdek)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Rokrdude

Rokrdude Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Downloading problem seems to be fixed now atleast in U.S. store

2. UScr00ge

UScr00ge Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Still broke for me.

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This isn't f2p as much as a lite version that upgrades to the full version. Plus it gives users the option of investing as much as they want and it will eventually have much more dlc anyway. It's hardly an issue and it's a viable deterrent to piracy as well. I have no issues with this model.

4. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Oooooh. Can't d/l game yet so didn't realize this. Thought the 4 AI opponents related to 4 skill levels, not that you could only play against 4 of the many factions. Hope they add those additional faction AIs soon.

5. Vernimator

Vernimator Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    3D Artist, Mobile App Developer
    Charlotte Area, NC
    Ditto... :confused:

6. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Food Fight has a campaign.

7. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Yup, same for me. At this point is it even a surprise that we're not able to get the game? It's the Universe conspiring against us folks, one hurdle after another.

8. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    They will. They are tweaking the other 4 and will be added shortly in an update.

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #89 tops2, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
    Man..I suck at these games. Stuck at the mall for a few hours this afternoon so played a few rounds. Keep getting slaughtered. I guess I really need to look up a beginners tutorial or something..or if there's a difficulty setting like in Ascension.

You can play against the 4 AI (as others have mentioned), just make sure you toggle the AI/player control button to AI and the locked icon should disappear. Confused me at first.

Yeah, I think sometimes dev's should wait until their games is actually in the AppStore instead of mentioning it has been submitted to Apple. I always hate especially the period after the app has been submitted until it really comes out. Llamasoft also sent his new game for approval and I'm anxiously waiting for it too. ;-)

10. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    I tell ya. I've been all over BGG, TA, PHG, and Playdeks Facebook, spreading the word, updating all forums for almost two weeks now and even started this thread and still can't play the game...... :eek:

11. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    Check out the links on this post.

12. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    +1 for can't download in Australia #

13. Werechihuahua

Werechihuahua Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    No joy in the USA yet

I still can't get it here in the USA. Form iTunes says "temporarily unavailable", from the iPad says "no longer available". Logging out and back in doesn't help.

14. Vernimator

May 26, 2009
    Charlotte Area, NC
    I've tried everything I could think of including rebooting my PC, Mac and iPad. Nothing works. Even tried my Canadian Account I had set up to try Kard Kombat when it was only available in Canada. That didn't work either.

Not a fan of Apple ATM.

15. Spatzi

Spatzi Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I really cannot fathom the hype this game is getting. The way they splooge over it at BGG is embarrassingly amusing. I downloaded this and was not that impressed. The artwork is terrible, the colors, even for opposing factions, are two shades of brown, and it is obviously not only ripping off MTG, but games like 'lord of the rings' card game for the playfield layout. Why is this so popular? Seems all very generic to me. Can't even read most of the type on the cards.

I must be spoiled now after the release of Magic 2013.

And they expect me to pay risk $8 on the game without even giving me one offline game against one AI opponent other than the 'elves'? If there was a chance to get my interest going, adding some AI opponents for variety would have certainly helped, but now I don't even feel like playing it at all.

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Um, you get to USE one faction but there are 4 AI factions to play against...

You don't HAVE to spend 8 dollars because each faction is only priced at a dollar...

To even question why anyone on BoardGameGeek would "splooge" over a board game just seems silly...

Aside from standard fantasy themes this in no way resembles MtG...

It's popular because it's essentially a turn based war game with spells. But instead of using miniatures you get a deck of highly balanced cards.

The best part of summoner wars for me is that each faction has a different play style. None are stronger or weaker than the rest, you just end up finding armies that fit the way you like to play.

I think Tom Vasel from thedicetower said it best: you pick whatever you think is the best and worst army in the game. He'll play the "worst" army and he'll beat you with them.

Personally I love unreinforced Jungle Elves. Low cost, surprise attacks, and movement shifting just happen to fit my play style :)

17. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's quite similar to Neuroshima Hex in that regard.

18. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Same here. Looking forward to trying this. I've heard of it but know nothing about it.

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #99 Ayjona, Jul 5, 2012
    Playdek are also known for their limited async implementations, with both Nightfall and Ascension lacking some or many of the amenities and convenience of a growing (and perhaps, from the demanding and possibly somewhat manic TA async community, ever so slightly unforgiving) iOS async standard (such as a well-developed chat system, or any chat at all, notifications that bring the player directly into the relevant match, persistent rating systems, an accessible match history, a way to jump quickly between active games without having to go back to the main multiplayer menu, accolades for particular accomplishments, any kind of persistence and sense of progress beyond matches won and lost, options for match customization, etc).

Luckily, this is not enough to detract much from the actual gameplay. Their ports are very solid and what is there is always polished (possibly with the exception of their tutorials ;), but neither Ascension, Nightfall and Summoner Wars is complicated enough to require in-depth tutoring and well-developed documentation), I've always been reasonably comfortable with their UIs and control schemes, their AIs offer solid challenges, and I was surprised to see that Playdek spent time making real-time play so very smooth, with moves propagating in less than a second between me and my friends, even on weak 3G connections. And they do choose their source material well. The physical products upon which the ports are based are some of the better board/card games on the market, to my mind.

I hope Summoner Wars turns out to be a profitable venture, so that they can keep porting alternative and occasionally even competitive board and card game experiences to iOS.

20. Cryminysakes

Cryminysakes Member

Jan 23, 2011
    #100 Cryminysakes, Jul 5, 2012
    Don't buy it then. Not every game is for every complaining troll.

Now just go away, thanks.