Universal Summoner Wars (Plaid Hat Games + Playdek)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jul 4, 2012.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Dang! At workplace, cannot download, cannot play...

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Don't worry, it seems a lot of people are getting corrupted files from iTunes according to the articles hitting my rss right now.

IF you can download something it generally ends up crashing immediately upon opening :/

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I cant even download. Says "Item is temporarily unavailable"

4. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Mm-hmm. :p

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  6. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, judging from the thread that this comes almost a week early and is likely to torn my life apart after Ascension, I don't mind waiting (not!) ;)

You should read the compliant letters from my Wifie (always playing with the iPad!)

7. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks! Now reading about how to use the free faction. Hopefully I can wrap my head around this game. While I'm not comparing this game directly to Advance War for the DS or Neuroshima Hex, but I've never been good at these games that require careful positioning of units. But I'll give this game a good try since it sounds like it's pretty highly regarded. I'm just afraid this isn't my type of game..but hopefully I can change that. ;-)

8. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Most of the complaints that you levy against Playdek's async engine stand, and STILL it's one of the most enjoyable async systems! How is that possible? It seems like an incredible fallacy. Of course the answer is because of how beautifully the engine handles async as well as live gameplay. You can just as well choose to play a few turns live as you would async and the experience is buttery smooth in both cases. That is key to why Ascension and Nightfall are so enjoyable. Do I want all those other things? Yes! Is there any other async board game that I would play more than Ascension/Nightfall/Summoner Wars? Not a chance.

Playdek's next upcoming project, Agricola, is their most difficult undertaking yet, in terms of complexity and interface issues. That will be a big test of how they are able to scale their engines for bigger things and I'm sure they will pass with flying colors, having already seen Le Havre done extremely well.

I know you're a fan of Playdek as well (not Playdeck btw) and that your post was not meant to be antagonizing, but I feel that they deserve more attention against something like Magic which comes from an already existing product based on a legacy lasting decades, where as Summoner Wars comes from a developer we barely knew last year that has now found a place in the hearts of iOS board gamers the world over and is based on a very young but highly acclaimed product.

tl;dr Playdek and its games are awesome despite the clear deficiencies.

Might I just thank Spatzi again, if that will help him leave ^_^

9. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    To add a drop into the sea of Playdek async complaints. Yes, it is not perfect, we still want many features which are still AWOL but heck, I am having 25+ games on Ascension without much of a problem....

Still waiting for the clock to click 1300...

10. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Okay, it's misery loves company time! If you can't download the app post how many of your friends are already playing it (in GC). For me the number is... 11. I fear it will reach the 20s before I get my grubby hands on a summoning stone.

11. Spatzi

Spatzi Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I figured out that the lock icons could be turned off, but it sure was not obvious. Looking at playdek's games, i wonder if they hire the same 8 year old to do all their artwork. This looks like the ugly sister of Ascension. I am just spoiled completely by MTG 2013. Looking through these decks, the visuals do not inspire me to spend even a dollar on it. Bleh.

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Woot! I finally won my 1st win against the AI! Phoenix Elves vs Phoenix Elves. Instead of rushing my guys to the enemies, I tried hit and run tactics.

13. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    They helped you save a dollar and more! Up to 7.99 in savings! Thanks and bye ^_^

14. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    These are implementations of already established games.

For the most part Playdek is not creating the vast majority of the artwork, but rather digitizing what is already in existence from available source material.
    Any artwork they have created would need to conform to the already established styles of these games to preserve a consistent thematic design throughout the game.

While most people would agree that the artwork in both Summoner Wars and Ascension are subjectively inferior to that of Magic, it is really kind of apples to pumpkins considering the art design budgets and the talent that could be commissioned on behalf of all these projects...besides kind of missing the point of the overall gameplay.

You probably won't have a lot of luck though convincing very many people in the OT for the game that it is a vastly inferior product because the wizard guy on this one card doesn't look as cool as the other wizard guy on that one.

They're really all very different games and not really comparable in many regards.

15. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Still no longer available in belgium

16. heavensblade23

heavensblade23 Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Of course the graphics for a niche title aren't as good as the graphics on one of the most valuable franchises in gaming.

Does it look like the Summoner Wars card game? If Yes, I'm happy.

17. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    It's not a location issue unfortunately, it's some sort of bizarre account based issue where you can download from the same device on a different account. I doubt it'll be fixed before tomorrow. This has just turned out to be a huge tease for the large majority.

18. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Still not available in Oklahoma City, OK.

I understand the whole graphics thing, I don't mind the artwork. (I do love my Magic) so I have my artwork fix there.

My only question - is it retina ready?
    Sorry if this has been asked, I have not had time to sift through the other 12pages.

19. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    It's the exact same artwork as the card game!

I have a retina iPad and I wouldn't consider this retina. It looks good, but it isn't as crisp as I would like it to be (particularly the text)

As for the art thing... Summoner Wars is a standalone card game. You buy a deck and that's it, no additional cards needed. All the artwork status the same because they want the art to be cohesive.

MtG is a ccg, the whole purpose of the fantastic art is the same as the random boosters, they just want you to keep buying cards.

If PlaidHat released a new faction with all new art it would look ridiculous next to the 16 factions, mercenaries, and at least three different game boards that all have the same art style

20. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    if anyone is desperate to try it i sujest to create a uk account i just created it one and i just downloading the game at least to try until i can downloaded with my original account