Universal Super Gridland (by doublespeak games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Repulsa, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Lololol

2. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    What's going on this game. Lol. I keep dying.

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    same - but i keep going back!

4. I think I understand things better now. On Day 16 in one game and Day 21 in another. I didn't realize at first that the sun moves across the sky a little bit each turn. It felt like YMBAB, so I just assumed I needed to act quickly. Still confused about some things, but only having to replay the last day when I die makes me more willing to experiment.

5. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Fun game, the tips earlier in this thread have helped me out. On day 3 now, lol.

6. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Seems like you can take your time? So at night I have been trying to make matches that don't result in monsters matching, not sure though.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Love this one.

Nighttime music is Cosmi worthy!

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    During the day, any move (resulting in a match or not) pushes the sun forward, so it's best one try to get a bunch of cascading blocks (thus more resources). Matching at the bottom of the grid in this case is a good idea. At night, the entire game switches around. The moon only moves when you've killed enemies. You can take as much time as you need and it's generally better to match around the top of the grid in order to avoid cascading blocks. That way you can avoid getting drowned in enemies and can pick your battles.

It's such a sublime game. Love it.

9. Omg
    the dragon!

It killed me and I had no clue what was happening but was still worth it.

10. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    wow - this is good when you kinda figure it out, isn't it. Not as good as, say, Imbroglio, yet, but it might be later. Great stuff.

11. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    #31 orangecan, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Ok that makes sense and definitely helped me get over the initial what the hell am I doing here first few plays, nice one thanks.

I still don't quite get the night time phase though. I understand you kill enemies to move forward but I've not worked out how the attack/defend/ enemy ratio works.

By that I mean if I match 3 enemies, then match 3 swords does that mean I've killed the enemy? And what would happen if I matched swords then enemies?
    I'm assuming the shield relate to defence, but I'm not sure what the gravestones do or the other house like tile.
    Tell you what though I'm having a lot of fun working it out - I do love my match3 games when you get the chance to work moves out and not rely on time pressures.

EDIT: Ok obviously it was me being a bit dim. Top right of the screen you've got your attack and defence meters and the other tiles are just different monsters. Understanding it didn't stop he getting killed mind.

12. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Found out the "hay" heals you, friggin game got me hooked #

13. Ok I beat the game (possibly on easy mode) and started New Game+, which is harder. But....I'm not sure I see the replay value here. Does it save our stats anywhere so we can compare? If not, what would make you play through the whole thing again?

14. bluermlou

bluermlou Active Member

Jan 12, 2011
    So building the houses in day mode, just for building exp or for something more?

15. bsabiston

bsabiston Well-Known Member

#35 bsabiston, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    So how about some instructions

Is it explained anywhere how to play this game? Or is this one of those things where figuring out how to play is part of the game.

16. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
  17. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Trying to work out what the three little spells are for in the bottom right at night time. Looks like the first is a kind of bomb and the third is health, but the middle one (appears to be a sword/shield) so maybe it replenishes them?

Game definitely seems to have gotten tougher around Day 13-16!

18. They're not spells. They're items you pick up from enemies!

I'm still confused about a few things, but what I did figure out, I explained a bit in this video. I also show the ending, though, so beware of spoilers.

19. Dion Monteiro

Dion Monteiro New Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Are you talking about the treasures you find? Yeah, you get up to three health potions, three spare swords & shields, and three mana potions.

When you actually get access to spells:

The Fast Forward arrows symbol is a haste spell to help you move faster in combat. The Moon/Sun symbol is a spell that skips the current night phase and puts you into the morning of the next day instantly.

20. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I would like to know this as well before purchasing.
    It sounds like AppUnwrapper got through the game relatively quickly.
    Thats fine if there is some reply value, otherwise it probably wont be a game I will buy.