Super Meebo's Epic 2D Platform Adventure Will Re-Write App Store History

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PixelPower, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelPower

PixelPower Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    #1 PixelPower, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

Skip all the way to page 48 , all problems that have been before page 48 are solved. Please do not be ignorant and start up a fight or you will be reported to the moderators!!

REPEAT SKIP TO PAGE 48, before that is just fighting, but its been resolved already with no need for new comments.

2. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    WOW thats very interesting Apple would reject on a design that it hasnt implemented yet? I hope there is more to the story of why the 1st rejection happened. You must have been a very good coder to make an app that quickly. How large is the team you have?

3. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    #3 PixelPower, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

Finally after months of concepts,developments, and designs, Super Meebo is born. Super Meebo is an action adventure 2D platformer with many elements of different classic platform games combined into one. Each level is designed so that you dont feel as if its a rehash of the previous level.
    Super Meebo features fun level designs like mine cart levels, danger spike chasing levels,Super Meebo pushing boxes in place to reach higher ground, and even some levels where Super Meebo can reverse gravity and walk on walls.Every level you have to find a key and to open the door to the next level.There are even bonus mini-games that you can unlock. Super Meebo's Epic 2D platform adventure is still in development and should be completed within 2 weeks.

UPDATE: Added new screenshots to show the diversity in gameplay.

Level types so far:

In all levels you have to find the key to open the door to next stage and Super Meebo's can push crates into places the he cant reach through jumping alone..

Levels where you can reverse gravity and walk on walls, watch out for enemies who can do the same!!

Retro theme levels with black and white themes.

GameBoy classic monochrome theme levels.

Stages where you run to avoid spiked wall closing in.

Castle levels like super mario where the only light you have is the spotlight above your head.

Levels where its like a mini- maze.

The Goal:

The ultimate goal is to make every level have a new gameplay experiance , so no level feels the same. Each level is specialy crafted to add a different element from the previous level, so no level feels boring just total fun. In the future levels we plan on adding space shooter levels , lava climbing levels, and one on one fun boss levels.

Also the coins you collect add to your coinhighscore , which can unlock mini-games. At launch the game will have a separate section for bonus mini-games at this point we have a gravity runner endless game and a avioder type mini-game, which will be unlocked based on your coin highscore.

Attached Files:

4. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Just curious what tools does your team use to code. Do you guys have your own built engine or do you use an already made engine.

5. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Do we get any teasers yet on the games progress? Sounds really cool, on my list of games to watch out for!

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I presume those buttons are temporary! Has potential

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I hope not. Without buttons, how would you control it :p

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    stick to your day job if you want to pay your rent

9. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Of course I would say this is a must download, its an excellent platformer. But I think developers making a 200-300 level game and going free hurts chances that people would buy thier excellent products.

10. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
    It sounds like you want to go solo indie or at the very least a one man development team with outsourced art/audio. Based on that assumption here are my 2 cents:

Finances
    - Have enough or save enough money to to survive and be able to work on your own for the dev time of your planned app/game. I'd recommend a year in general if you're not sure. When you do start going indie, make sure you are tracking your personal/financial budget and responding accordingly. Your home and personal life should be in good or ok shape for you to pursue this venture.

Design
    - Prototype and get your core game tested asap. If it isn't fun or compelling as a prototype then you know what they say about "putting lipstick on a pig"... You can design and produce this prototype while working full-time or part-time elsewhere. Start saving up that indie cash stash while working on the early concepts of your game.

Presentation

- Unless you're a true renaissance man, get someone else (good) to do your art (both game and UI). You're up against a shit ton of competition and need to have a good looking product that is polished. The "programmer art" approach is rarely commercially successful.

Marketing
    - You cannot ignore the role and work for marketing your game during it's development. If you're indie the chances are that you don't have a budget for marketing so you're going to need to do some serious legwork to handle your own PR and marketing. Start your project with a blog, social media or be active in the community. Going public will also help you stay committed since people know that you're in this for real.

Committment
    - Last piece of advice, be absolutely sure that you're ready to make this sacrifice of your time and life. There is a lot of hard work ahead and personal sacrifices will need to be made to give yourself the best chance for success. This will impact your family or social life in a significant way to go this route. The mobile app scene in 2012 is very challenging compared to a few years ago where you could crank out a soundboard app and make a million.

Good luck. Going independant as a developer is liberating. I chose to go with a small team of guys I had worked with before for the best chance of financial success so think about any really great connections you've made in this industry and if you'd go into business and development with them.

DP

11. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Thanks for the responses guys !! I have updated and added new screenshots and added details for the level types you see. I welcome your feedback and interest in the game. Been working super hard to make this the best most fun game possible.

12. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Thanks for the response David I kept my day-job , which is only part-time at the moment. Most of the list I have well in check, the 2 toughest parts will be getting the art-work and marketing. Iam working very hard on a game that it took month's to design, scrap ,re-design, until finally its comming out pretty epic but is still a work in progress. My time working with others has taught me alot, but I decided to go indie when I saw others around me not learning from mistakes. I decided to go into indie development because I feel like I know what type of game will be super fun and sell, now Iam just hoping Iam right haha!! Cheers!!:)

13. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

Encourage your wife to run her own business too...Partners don't seem to get just how devoted to your career you will need to be. In theory you need a big team if you want a life too. I say learn to take the downs, hope the ups come around (all areas of development, both during and after). Don't be disappointed when they don't. And the great advise that David writes I read myself...also I should have read mr.Ugly's (he is always right!)

14. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    This is the happiest I seen someone when it comes to glitches lol. Iam happy to see so many people having fun.

15. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    keep day job.
    don't spend more than a month (and change, at worst) developing anything.
    build something that can be reskinned as something else.
    IAP in whatever you make.

16. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Keep up the good work!

17. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Get out now!!!

18. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Remember that as you said, the company you work for didn't have any top 200 success.

Even if it's a right armpit of a place, they will still have more money, contacts and marketing experience than you have by yourself. And they still failed.

Having said that, we're out of the all-apps top 200 too right now but the income is still decent for a tiny indie firm. Just don't be outside the top 1000 else buying a new mousemat would be an event that needs forward financial planning.

19. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    #20 PixelPower, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
    Seriously Need your input on 2D platformer that is in development

Hi I have been working on a platformer for a couple of months now and its turning out pretty great. I have been able to mix elements from different platform games together as I am trying to make a classic fun platformer. The screenshots highlight the different level types.Some of the elements I have included are,

BASIC'S: In all levels you have to find the key to open the door to next stage and Super Meebo's can push crates into places the he cant reach through jumping alone..

LEVEL DESIGN'S:

Levels where you can reverse gravity and walk on walls, watch out for enemies who can do the same!!

Level where you ride a mine cart.

Retro theme levels with black and white themes.

GameBoy classic monochrome theme levels.

Stages where you run to avoid spiked wall closing in.

Castle levels like super mario where the only light you have is the spotlight above your head.

Levels where its like a mini- maze.

THE PROBLEM

The only problem that I need alot input on is total amount of levels. I have played and seen platform games that have 40-50 levels many levels being the same thing over and over with no changes. I wasnt aiming for making a huge amount of levels but making each level either different in some way, different obsticles, different powers like reverse gravity, and different theme's like black and white or monochrome. It's pretty tough to make all the levels different and keep the level count high.

THE QUESTION:

How many levels should a platform game have at launch to be an instant buy and reccomendation? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this long post and I welcome your feedback!!

Attached Files: