Super Meebo's Epic 2D Platform Adventure Will Re-Write App Store History

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PixelPower, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I do like the look of the game itself but its little things like the controls and buttons which look as SamFish says - like MS Paint.

I'm no Photoshop expert but i know i can make a great looking button. The 'jump' button is really poor which is a shame. I'm not saying nick ideas but look at other platformer games in the App Store and see what they use for buttons.

I mean look at Commander Pixman, the buttons are very basic but work well and look polished, not from MS Paint.

Thats what worries me, you dont seem to be looking at whats out there as the button thing should be basic.

Theres tons of mario style games out there, try something a bit different, eg you go into one cave and then it turns into a small 'tiny wings' level (Similar to that other game you're doing), be nice to have a bit of variety so when you go through a particular door/cave theres perhaps a small shoot em up or something.

Its like Mario when you go down a tube and then you have a single screen where you get the coins. But look how basic Commander Pixman looks, but the retro graphics work so well as does the gameplay.

But one hour spent looking for photoshop tutorial buttons etc on youtube/google will show you how to do some nice polished buttons. Or basic ones like Commander Pixman work a treat, but the ones you had looked terrible. Sorry

P.S I dont think that comment in your signature helps. We're your customers, we buy plenty of games, i dont care how long a game took, if its rubbish i'll tell it like it is

2. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    Uh.. come on guys... I've seen much much much worse game than this
    and it is in the App Store right now.

I saw the video and thought it's good (Indie standard). The ONLY thing
    I'd improve is the main character animation.
    1. When he jumps, maybe do a somersault jump animation.
    2. and when he lands, there should be a little bounce and not just sharp landing.

Other than that, i'd say it's a good indie game, great effects and music too.
    Good luck. I'd say improve on these 2 items above and then resubmit.
    If that doesnt work, delete the game and resubmit as a new application.
    I heard that way u get a different reviewer who hopefully appreciates hard work.

3. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    You've missed the whole point of the discussion. It doesn't matter whether there are games on the App Store with worse graphics or not (there are, sure). But NONE of them are successful. Maybe 4 years ago when the App Store wasn't this crowded you could get away with simple graphics (Doodle Jump..), but not anymore.

4. What's really telling is that even though Wawa Land is a massively better game than Super Meebo, it still can't keep in the Top 400 of its categories (just checked my appFigures.com account, but you can check appannie.com too).

Wawa Land is probably making less than $10/day.

Expectations of MINIMUM $20,000 with Super Meebo as it stands are delusional.

It's not 2008 anymore.

5. PixelPower

PixelPower Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Wawaland had a great run and now its fading. Wawaland was a success even though it wasnt a million dollar game it reached top 20 at some point. Iam pretty sure Wawaland made somewhere in the 50k range when it was much higher on the charts. A lesser game like Leps World is still on the charts, even though Wawland is far superior game.
    I dont have even close to the resources these guys had but Iam still trying to contact people and make moves. Iam using pixen on Mac and learning the basic of creating graphics now. Iam not going to match whats out there yet, hopefully the game I make is going enough to make extra cash to make a game that has that extra graphics flair.
    Iam almost sorry now that I made this thread, at least I been able to get some real help in the thread but I can tell some people are sneaking in some shots as well.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

[Citation Needed]

7. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    #307 PixelPower, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    I was basing it on app annie figures where wawaland reached top

Overall Games Action Adventure
    # of countries - rank 5 reached 0 0 0 1
    # of countries - rank 10 reached 0 0 2 4
    # of countries - rank 100 reached 3 8 15 25
    # of countries - rank 500 reached 11 23 29 44
    # of countries - rank 1000 reached 20 25 43 54

For some reasons it doesnt display properly when I click save.

8. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Looking for 2D artist for platformer game(revenue share)

Iam looking for a 2D artist for a platformer game. The playment plan would be revenue sharing 50% after apples cut. Contact me via PM if your interested. He are 3 video's of the game I would like graphic's for.

http://iphoneplatformers.blogspot.com/

9. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Wawaland's developer mentioned that it took him about a year of hard work to create the game. I have my doubts that he made 50k, although a high-quality game like Wawaland may still gain exposure in some way and go back up the charts... But let's for a second assume that he had.

50k isn't really a spectacular amount of money to make for a year where you are doing triple duty as coder, game designer, and artist. I mean, if he was freelancing 40 hours a week for a year at rates similar to what I see on these forums, he would have made significantly more than that.

10. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    I loved the flight school challenge it has me totally addicted. I wish I thought of this game.

11. Not meant as a shot. Just a wakeup call, which you don't seem to want to hear.

I'm not really that familiar with the whole Roy/Krehol thing, so it doesn't matter to me what your background is.

The App Store is an insanely competitive market now and you had better put out a AAA product to even have a CHANCE of earning $20,000. With anything of lesser quality, expect to earn at most a few hundred a day for your first few days, and then peter out to $10 or less per day.

If you want a good shot at making money, and you don't have much money to spend (e.g., for a good artist or a massive marketing campagin), then I have one piece of advice for you: Don't make iOS games.

12. Here is the US rankings chart from Wawa Land, which was released April 17, 2012. It fell out of the Top 400 in its categories after 11 days.

Tell me again how much money you think it made?

[​IMG]

13. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    See your one of the A-holes Iam talking about. You take one line out of a paragraph and say ok lets attack.
    Your logic is flawed as I look at the top 200 games and they are not all AAA games. IPhone is not the console games market , where you need all these elements to make it. Tiny wings made it without all these elements, look at doodle army series, stickman cliffdiving,etc. Your post sounds ridiculous , so definitly Iam not going to listen to people such as yourself. As far as Wawaland is concerned I have watched that game and from time to time it jumps back up and is randomly featured by different stores. So its not like wawaland just died on the spot. Its ranked higher temporarly here and there.

14. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
  15. SamF1sh

SamF1sh Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    New Zealand
  16. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    #316 Little White Bear Studios, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    My educated guess, based on rank history and review count: $4,000-$6,000 after Apple's cut.

17. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    PixelPower, that's not an attack, man... When someone is trying to say "dude, get your hand away from that stove, it is ON and you're going to get burned" you should probably not see it as an attack. MindJuice is making a really good point. You should go into something like this with realistic expectations.

I have a neat idea that could benefit everybody. The Wawaland dev is on these forums, and he's been pretty active on the Cocos2d ones as well. Anyone care to ask him nicely if he's willing to share numbers?

I might if nobody else will. :p

18. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
  19. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    I think its time everyone backs off and let him get on with it.

@PixelPower
    Just do your best with the project and release it.
    Dont waste time trying to convince people what you hope or expect, just do it

Maybe it will work out for you, maybe it wont.
    But we all hope you will learn from your mistakes and will make better games down the line

20. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Agreed. Do more talk less. If you're right, come back to rub it in our faces. If you're wrong, learn and move on.