Super Meebo's Epic 2D Platform Adventure Will Re-Write App Store History

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PixelPower, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelPower

PixelPower Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    I always loved the castlevania series on nintendo, Super nes, ds, platstation,etc. I looked around the appstore but didnt see any game that fit the bill, which is surprising since the appstore has been around for a long time. After making a couple of casual games, I decided to look for a challenge.
    The castlevania type iphone game Iam working on is 70% done . The biggest challenge was to see what I could keep and what I had to leave out. The problem with the iphone/ipod is limited space for controls. I was able to fit a left ,right,jump, and attack button but Iam still having trouble figuring where the special attack button should be. Thats the toughest part so far , where to put the freaking special attack button or should I leave it out?
    For the graphics I went with the castlevania handheld version style , which is a simplified version of the playstation classic.Here are some screenshot's , I will try to post something new every 3rd day. Enjoy!!

[​IMG]

2. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    I'm not fighting. I'm offering an explanation of why you are being "punished" and advice on how to deal with it.

Take a step back, and think about it.

3. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
  4. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Alright I changed the whip to a sword type weapon and added a magic button. Also got some new game photos to show off!! This castlevania type iphone game in development is being made in hopes of earning a great rep in the iphone game world. If you want more info just click on the blog link. Here are some photo's of the game in action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Damn!! I honestly want this game to reach top 10 and stay there. I retweeted some of your tweets and hoping more people catch on to this game game!! Best 99 cent game out right now!!

6. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    @pix:

i was on vacation, sorry! did i miss something? having no internet is sometimes weird but after a week or two you adjust :)

as for your button layout, why not make the special move a charge up from the normal attack button? press & hold for x time.

as for the punishments, well stick to this thread and you should be fine.

at least that way your posts make sense, since when they get moved here its all a mixed mess.

maybe you should view this restriction the same as tech ones on a hardware platform like ios.

you do your best to work within the given limitations.

:)

@pikpok: needed to look up prolific and still dont understand that part. ;) fruchtbar? my gf will be pleased to now that , lol.

7. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    It means you post a lot :)

8. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    #488 PixelPower, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
    Hey guys Iam just having fun making this game.I hate casual type games so all the casual games I make dont come out right. I can't make money in the appstore so I just figured I will just sit down and make a game that I actually like.I love Castlevania so this game is based on that style of gameplay, hack and slash with magic ability.

Update

-New Magic Animation

-Health Potion power-up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S. Mr.Ugly I would go nuts if I didnt have internet. Hopefully I never go through that problem lol!! You missed stuff but not related to me, some other developer got on twitter and had people spamming toucharcade heavy ,it was crazy but got dealt with. Also Mikey short's has risen to top 60 and had people fighting about toucharcades review being 5 stars.

9. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Update

OK this is the 4th update , with new added gameplay elements. I was trying to figure out what was missing in the gameplay I had the enemies, regular and magic attacks, and collectible health potion. So I needed a scoring system but wanted to tie it in to unlock another gameplay feature. After some thought, the scoring system will unlock an extra gameplay mode. When you defeat enemies they drop collectible coins, which add to your experience meter. When your experience meter is full another gameplay mode will unlock on the main screen.
    Also some of the beta-testers wanted a more realistic looking sword, so I redid the sword graphics to make it more eye friendly. Plus I added a flying enemy , at 1st I was going to add a bat but decided that was to generic. I ended up making a flying eyeball enemy with a random pattern of attack.
    Percent of the game done
    Coding: 70% done
    Graphics:50% done

Newly Added Stuff

- New Sword Animation

-Scoring and experience meter, once you reach the maximum experience level you will unlock a new gameplay mode on main menu.

-Introducing a new flying enemy

@Mr.Ugly I didnt use the attack button to charge up the magic because there are some instances in the game where you will need it immediately if you get overwhelmed with enemies. But it was a great suggestion to cut back on the amount of onscreen buttons. I wish the screen space was bigger as I also added a score and experience meter which takes up more space along the top. Iam trying to add all the features I would want in a game or as much of them as I can. Iam tired of fouling out, I want to hit a homerun. Since I cant make much money in appstore, this time I will just make the game I like.

Attached Files:

10. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Just spent 2 days making 5 backgrounds, 2 of them I ended throwing out. Today was just doing tweaks to really flesh out the action and make it smoother. I added 3 step animation to the main charactor. I also have been working on graphically enhancing the backgrounds and platforms for the next couple of levels.

Todays work

-Enhancing graphics for the new levels

-Making tweaks to make the action sliky smooth and non-stop

-Finishing the coding on the expierence bar and deciding how much expierence you gain from collecting coins.

Here are some new screenshots Enjoy!!

11. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    The only types of games that I have ever seen succeed in reaching thier goals had these elements:

-Console quality or at least gameloft type graphics.

-Had an excellent video game trailer

-Gave people from the start the real reason for needing this funding or at least a timeline

- Had a blog that updated often showing what new progress they had in development.

If you dont have all those elements, its immpossible no matter what you have asked for.

12. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Almost Done!!

Hey guys I have another round of screenshot of the upcomming castlevania type game Iam making . Production is almost done and I feel pretty confident I can make a little noise in the appstore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    #493 PixelPower, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
    Retro Castlevania Type game in development ,1st Screenshots of it!!

The evil wizard Zolo has curse the land and has awaken the evil souls to cause havoc and destruction. Play as Limon armed with his might sword to hack and slash his way through zombie's, evil eye's and reanimated knight's. Limon also can sommon up 3 types of magic Light,Holy, and Dark magic whenever the enemies try to surround him. Travel through castle's, dungeon's, and even a futuristic world to defeat the evil soul's and take down the evil wizard Zolo!!

Comming Soon to iphone/ipad/ipod touch
    2G,3G,3Gs,4G compatible!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    More info about the game is in the blog on my signature. The game will be uploaded to apple in a couple of days.Here is some more screenshot with you using dark magic and screenshot of the regular levels.

15. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Thanks!! The screenshots of your player flying are when your using your magic powers. I will upload photos of regular stages when I get a chance.

16. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Ok guys I was wondering what happen because the screenshots before were image url's and toucharcades automation stretched them out, thats why the graphics didnt look as good. Now I redid it and it came out better this time.

The photos I have here are just the different magic types being used. You have 3 white,dark,and holy magic.

Also to clear up any confusion the screenshots where your in the air are taken from when your using magic. I should have explained that before, for most of the game you use your sword to take out enemies and you can use magic 4 times in a level. Also in the game you collect coins which add to your exp bar on the right. When you fill up the exp bar , you unlock the black and white retro gameboy mode . Game is almost finished and will be uploaded this weekend!!

Attached Files:

17. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Update: Limon's Epic Quest has been finally uploaded to Apple. So hopefully in 2 weeks the Limon's Epic Quest will be in the apstore , I will keep you posted.

18. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    I posted a screenshot of my upcomming Castlevania type game for iphone. I how you guys blow up big and hope you stay covering indie developers!!

19. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    I liked the page already and posted. Here is the link with more info
    http://epicquestiphone.blogspot.com/ it took me and while to make and Iam still waiting for Apple to review the game.

20. PixelPower

Jun 23, 2012
    Alright a video of the game in action is up!!!