Universal Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Capy_Nathan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Interesting news, im not really fussed either way, if I have to pay again to own it on my iPhone 4 then I will as I reckon it's gonna look fantastic on the retina display and it really is too good not to have on both devices even though im on my 4th playthrough now.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    "Demand for the recent App Store hit Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP drops sharply this week; after debuting at second place last week, the game has since fallen out of the top ten entirely."

Step it up people!

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Ack!! What the buckets. That really sucks.

I wish I had the money to buy it a few more times. Something tells me when this hits the iPhone and (hopefully) goes universal, it's going to blow up.

4. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Maybe pixel art isn't as cool now as it was in the 80's.

Not to mention, it was hyped up before it's release but mainly to avid gamers and it's got a heavy price considering how cheap the majority of iOS device owners are (when ironically they own an expensive device).

So this game ran out of steam fairly quickly. Like a big summer blockbuster that fell flat at the box office.

I'm glad I didn't buy it but I hear the production value was really amazing!!!

5. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #305 ErikTheRed, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    Err... considering they recouped their production costs and then some off JUST the iPad version alone, I think they are doing pretty stellar. It's not like many people are buying iPads specifically for gaming. Gaming really seems like more of an after thought for most owners of the device. The fact that S&S sat at the number two spot for as long as it did is a HUGE accomplishment. Think about that for a second. It's an "experimental" indie game... and it sat at number two for paid apps. And it's the first attempt at a game for some of these guys. Freaking amazing.

It didn't fall flat at all, it just has a somewhat limited audience.

When the iPhone version hits it will be nearly pure profit, and should push a LOT more units than the iPad version did. I would be plenty happy with that position, were I them.

And I totally disagree. Pixel art is still really eff'ing cool, especially when done well, as in the case of S&S. ;)

6. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Don't forget the LP— It's selling for even more than the game itself...

7. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    ^^exactly^^ to the last 2 posts.

8. ArcheAngel

Jul 6, 2010
    Well that's all my point was....limited audience.

Selling the LP could be an attempt at recouping. Who knows how much it cost to make versus what they sold?

9. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

1000 vinyls X $30 a peice, plus iTunes and bandcamp sales. I'm guessing it costs a lot less than $30,000 to make 1000 vinyls plus the prints. They said they were expecting to sell out soon too. The iPhone version will sell great for a while, but it's not gonna be an angry birds killer. I'd be pretty darn happy in their position right about now though.

10. Woodruff78

Woodruff78 Active Member

Mar 23, 2011
    I still love pixels, reminds me of the good ol' gaming days! :cool:

11. ErikTheRed

Nov 4, 2010
    #311 ErikTheRed, Apr 7, 2011
    Right. Limited (and growing) audience and it has done THIS well, on ONE version. That's crazy awesome. Sounds like the entry price is a barrier for you? I'm just assuming, as you said you haven't played it. Maybe wait for a sale or the (presumably) cheaper iPhone version and they try it. Seriously, you don't want to miss this.

I'm not sure what it costs to press a 180g record, but it is pretty safe to assume it's less that $30. I'm guessing Cory gets some kind of kick back for the limited print he made that goes with it. Still...

On money making; I believe I saw Craig mention the split for S&S. For the app, 50% goes to Capy, 50% goes to Craig. Of Craigs 50%, one third of it goes to Jim Guthrie. Jim keeps all the rights to the music. As such, all soundtrack and vinyl sales go to Jim. Craig has all but said they have already covered the games production cost through iPad sales. So... it's all in the black from here.

Still... all the more reason to buy the soundtrack people! The sale of the music is Jims primary way of making money on S&S! Show the love! Support Jim Guthrie! :)

But anyway, I hope the iPhone version kills it. I hope they all make a shit ton of money. I hope they continue to make games that blow peoples minds. And I hope others are encouraged to follow them outside the box. ;)

12. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I find the last two paragraphs of the latest Superbrothers Teletex (newsletter) interesting. Rather than working on a sequel or another game, they intend to spend the rest of this year, and possibly into early 2012, adding new content and refining the existing project via app updates.

I really like this idea, and to me it suggests that they have not only recouped their original development costs, but are in a position to continue working on S:S&S EP for a further 8+ months. I look forward to seeing how the project evolves over the coming year.

13. ErikTheRed

Nov 4, 2010
    Waaaaa? Holy crap! I can't believe I missed that! That is awesome! All the people involved with S&S just kick all kinds of ass.

14. Capy_Nathan

Capy_Nathan Well-Known Member

We are extremely happy, indeed. We put out a unique, 'risky' game that goes against most of what has been successful before - namely birds and ropes - and iPad gamers flocked to support us. It's the support of the people that decided to give it a shot, loved it, and chose to talk about it (whether via a post on TA, tweeting from the game or simply talking about ) that we're the most happy about. We found an audience - a very good sized one - and we love that audience for it.

In summary, perhaps our next game, Superbrothers: Birds and Ropery Rio, will chart for long enough for ArcheAngel to think we did ok.

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah I'm with Erik. As I said in the Mos Speedrun topic, pixel art wasn't cool in the 80s, it was necessary. It only became cool once it became retro. It's cooler now than it's ever been.

16. ArcheAngel

Jul 6, 2010
    #316 ArcheAngel, Apr 7, 2011
    The entry price wasn't the reason I have yet to purchase the game, even though I think it's a fair price for the production value. I'm a gamer born in 1980 so I understand what makes the game good.

I just don't want it. As such I think I would be a good source to the devs as to why.

I'm not trying to be the antagonist in this thread, just had an idea as to why it dropped so fast after release which is purely speculation.

Meaning
    -Limited audience (but growing)
    -Pixel art versus doodle art (as far as sales to appeal go for the average iDevice owner)
    -pixel art may be cool but typically to retro gamers, which is the only reason it is cool, which is mainly the people that bought the game and as brought up in this thread...the average iDevice owner doesn't buy the device for gaming, turning the average games purchased to that of doodle pick up and play games.

Does this game have any iPad 2 optimization? or has anyone played it on iPad 2?

17. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    lol... what iPad 2 optimizations do you expect? better textures? faster processing? :D:rolleyes:

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Doodle games are definitely not cool.

19. ArcheAngel

Jul 6, 2010
    #319 ArcheAngel, Apr 7, 2011
    Well dead space, real racing 2, asphalt 6 & some other games have iPad 2 optimizations

I was just asking if this had any or if anyone has played it on an ipad 2. Sorry if those are unrealistic questions, I'll take your response as a no to both.

20. ArcheAngel

Jul 6, 2010
    #320 ArcheAngel, Apr 7, 2011
    Lol typically I'd agree but apparently they are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

I'm just as sick of doodle games as much as I am sick of hearing the word epic

Perhaps someone can make a pixel game with doodle art.