Universal Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Capy_Nathan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. aurorajorealis

aurorajorealis Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Artist Liaison @Superbrothers
    Toronto
    The iPad 2 wasn't out yet in Canada the day the game launched, so I don't think anyone on the team has played it on an iPad 2 yet, we're all too busy testing it on the different iPhones.

I see what you're saying about pixels not appealing to everyone. I've read the negative comments on iTunes, that's one of the biggest complaints! However, the game wouldn't have been a Superbrothers game without pixel art. Superbrothers had been working on print illustrations and music videos in this style for years before starting this project.

2. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #322 ErikTheRed, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    Yes. I've played on an iPad 2. I was lucky enough to pick one up just before S&S hit the app store. I don't have anything to compare to, however. My guess is that it's a smidgeon smoother given the bump up in graphics and processor speeds. It's beautiful.

Funny thing about pixel art... it's so frowned upon by some people as not pushing graphical limits, not maxing out polygons and fill rates. Not every game has to be Infinity Blade. It's super refreshing to me to step back from all that high poly crap and enjoy something "simple".

The hilarity of it all is that doing pixels on the scale that Craig has is anything BUT simple, and most artists certainly don't put the kind of soul into it that he has. Not that I'm any kind of expert at all on the subject of creating pixel art, but I've tried my hand at it a few times. It is actually mindbogglingly difficult. To see S&S in motion just makes me appreciate pixel art done RIGHT all the more.

Oh, and on the subject of "pick up and play"; I think S&S lends itself to that pretty well. It saves the "room" you are on should you exit. It really doesn't require huge time commitments to enjoy at all.

3. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    In light of the last few posts I think i will buy it. I have been curious about it (watching vids, reading reviews) and after engaging in the thread it sounds like I owe it to myself to give this a go.

Besides my gf is going out of town tonight so it'll be nice and quiet :)

4. ErikTheRed

Nov 4, 2010
    Awesome! Good on ya! And make sure you grab some headphones! There is sooo much killer sound going on in there that can't be articulated through the iPad speaker. Enjoy! :)

5. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

To note the iPad vs iPad 2, I find it runs VERY nicely on both, but loads a bit faster on the iPad 2. EVERYTHING loads faster on the iPad 2, however.

My kids play it on my original iPad, when they can pry it out of the hands of my wife, that is.

As for the pixel art, what Erik is saying is true.

There is a lot of work that has to go in to creating pixel art to THAT degree. It's not just done sloppily, but is done to make a point. It's an art style. One that some people may not like. Honestly, it's impressive to me that so MANY people were able to appreciate it and love for what it was. To share in what we all saw as incredibly special..

Anyway, S&S will get back up there. I just hope it doesn't go Firefly, y'know?

6. lomaelli

lomaelli Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    You definitely buy this as it's really worth playing. You won't regret it.

7. Baseley09

Baseley09 Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Apologies if this has been answered a thousand times already, but how do you get the time to move forward faster to get the full moon et, literally adjust your ipad's date/time, or is there another way?

Cheers

8. Capy_Nathan

Capy_Nathan Well-Known Member

#328 Capy_Nathan, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
    There's a SPOILER thread on these forums that will help a bunch. Now where is that link...

edit: here it is: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=88790

9. Baseley09

Baseley09 Member

Nov 28, 2010
  10. ErikTheRed

Nov 4, 2010
    Superbrothers has been posting a bunch of concept art from S&S on Twitter today. Some pretty facinating stuff being shown! Those interested should follow @the1console on twitter or go here:

http://twitter.com/the1console

I just thought other fans might enjoy seeing some of this stuff. ;)

It's amazing how his pictures just start creating stories in my mind. How does he DO that?

11. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Thanks for sharing that. I was on the fence regarding whether to risk the $5 on this game that could well turn out to be aptly described by this game's original working title, but the links given on that twitter feed to concept art and music helped seal the resolve to avoid altogether this practical joke played on the world gaming community.

12. ErikTheRed

Nov 4, 2010
    That's pretty harsh. What do you find so off-putting?

13. andsoitgoes

You've posted here enough to know better. Please troll elsewhere.

If you don't like the game, fine. But taking that attitude just makes you seem foolish and does nothing to help with a "critical" look toward this game or ANY game.

I'm biased, sure, but I'm not going to find a game I don't like and post in the thread calling a game that many people put a WHOLE TON of work into a practical joke on the gaming community.

Sure, it's your opinion and sure, you have full right to post in this thread about it, but you can do it while being respectful, and not like an ass.

14. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    That concept art combined with working title of "poop sock" invited some ridicule, but here was obviously the wrong place. I still maintain that the whole 12" vinyl deal and deliberate misspellings hint at the project being an inside joke of sorts.

15. andsoitgoes

Yes, both the spelling and Poopsock I'm sure have an inside joke somewhere about something, but unless you've experienced the game, you'll never understand that it is far, far more than that.

As for the LP, it makes complete sense. The music is such a huge, complex part of the game that. It's like the inking of a comic book. Both parts together make the game what it is. And the "artsy" high-fidelity nature of the music most CERTAINLY warrants the release of an LP, which has been done for years at standard CD releases of top quality bands.

And, honestly, the quality of music presented here is better than most instrumental albums created in the last 15 years. There's a complexity, an emotional maturity that goes beyond even what the game presents.

Now, as much as I'd like to see them bolstered with sales, I don't think you'll appreciate what the game, the story and the music has to offer.

16. andsoitgoes

Runs like a total, complete, amazing dream on my iPad 2. But no, there wasn't some sort of super faster pixel processing awesomeness included for the iPad 2 release, other than just MUCH faster loading of everything.

17. ErikTheRed

Nov 4, 2010
    I don't think so at all. When you start prototyping a game, you make up all kinds of crazy crap. I pointed out the feed to demonstrate how far it came, which I found pretty cool. Listen to some podcast interviews, read some articles with these guys. They appear, to me, to be incredibly sincere. Craig actually explained the extra "w" in a recent podcast, I think. It made sense. This game was clearly a labor of love, and it shows 100% when you play it. And the LP TOTALLY makes sense. A deeper understanding of the game may be required to get that, however. Anyway, this was no hoodwink. It's the real deal.

Ah well, can't win over everyone I guess. You really are missing out though.

/resume beer

18. sg2noname

sg2noname Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Knowing as little as possible about the game is apparently the best way to play it, even though I've been following this game since the first ever screenshot on touchArcade over a year ago I've been very careful to not read or watch any videos or articles that contain any spoilers!

19. ErikTheRed

Nov 4, 2010
    Oh, no. I agree. If you haven't played it, or don't know much about it, keep it that way. Keep doing what you are doing and avoid spoilers. Stay clear of Twitter, especially #sworcery. After you play it, however, do check out some of the interviews and such. They are pretty interesting.

But in the case of someone like Grubjelly, or someone who has firmly decided not to get the game because they think it is cynical, pretentious or otherwise, I highly recommend reading / listening up on it. The interviews I seen / heard with Jim and Craig are excellent. The people involved are genuine. :)

20. aurorajorealis

aurorajorealis Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Artist Liaison @Superbrothers
    Toronto
    Regarding "the whole 12" vinyl deal": This LP marks Jim Guthrie's first solo release since "Now, More than Ever" in 2003. For many Canadians and international fans, this is a big deal, not a joke.