Universal Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Capy_Nathan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    If you haven't already done this, try holding your finger down on the spinning album in the main menu.

2. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    What a phenomenal experience. If Osmos, World of Goo and Max and the Magic Marker are must gets for iPad, then this is above them all.

Oh and if you're playing it, play it with your best earphones.

3. projectmoonlightcafe

projectmoonlightcafe Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
  4. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I don't tweet, but I know how it works. However, I guess I'll have to deal with it, if that's the case. I haven't actually had a chance to play the game yet, so if it's a game reference, I haven't learned that yet. I downloaded it, then went to bed last night.

It's just really hard to alphabetize when it starts with a damn symbol. Yes, I am that anal. No, I do not have a problem. ;)

5. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Not a dream. I really played S&S last night. Hot damn!

Hey, you "sitting on the fence about this game" type people. Try this. Go watch these shorts by Superbrothers and Jim Guthrie. They are "Children of the Clone", "Dot Matrix Revolution" and "Design Reboot" which can be found here:

http://vimeo.com/1662439

Look intriguing? Like what you see and hear? Can you imagine yourself being an active participant in one of these short films? If you answered "yes", "maybe" or "hmmm", then go directly to iTunes and download S:S&S EP right now. You won't be sorry. :)

6. 00011000

00011000 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    #127 00011000, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    I'm stuck at the part with the trees on the bridge in session 2. :( any advice?

Edit: did it. That was stupid. There are 8 trees. Not 6.

7. No Pickles

No Pickles Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Can anyone whose finished the game give an approximate idea of the time required to play through?
    Thanks

8. Doffie

Doffie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Retired, now concentrating on good works and good
    Storrs, CT
    Hope it doesn't detract from the game in later stages, but I sort of agree. Variations of the expression "What's up with this?" seem a bit out of place in the beautiful, spooky atmosphere of this game.

9. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    #130 PCKid, Mar 24, 2011
    Of course makes sense. Thanks. Much further now up to 37%. It is so brilliant. This heroine has to have a sequel.

This was in reply to someone who told me the ghost trails mean your health is low. I thought it was a bug. Forgot to do the reply with quote. Too late now.

10. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    That's my question, is our hero a guy or a girl? Seems like could be either.

11. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    An all time classic

I'min my 60s and been an avid video game player from day one. First to get an Atari 2600 in Australia and every console and handheld since. The iPad is shaping up to be the best gaming experience yet. IMHO of course :) My PS3 and PSP are gathering dust.

Now comes a game that even casting my mind back to games like Miner 2049er, Jumpman Junior, Elite (C64 and Amiga), Balder's Gate Amiga and so on, this ranks up there with the best of them ever.

It does what every classic video game (or any visual media) should do. Great plot, stunning music and sound, just the right amount of humour (Girl, Logfella, one sided conversation in Chapter 1 - priceless), a heroine you care about and the graphics just work. 8 bit they maybe but the attention to detail and movement is breathtaking.

Just rustling the bushes is so realistic. Can't thank the Superbrothers enough. Well worth the wait.

12. aurorajorealis

aurorajorealis Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Artist Liaison @Superbrothers
    Toronto
    She's a woman, and if you are playing the game and still didn't know that, you need to get headphones!

13. 00011000

00011000 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    She's a girl. And a damn sexy girl I might add!

14. Zghying

Zghying Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Buying this now, hope its as good as it sounds.

15. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Awesome. So it's female. I heard a few grunts and thought that it could've been voiced by a really young boy. =x

16. masemase

masemase Member

Feb 22, 2009
    How do I?

How do I get the megatome from the mingi taw in the first "castle" level? I slice it to grab it and as soon as I walk away the skeleton thing kills me. I've tried to fight back to no avail and have been stuck here for hours. Loving this game and just want to move on!! Any help out there please?

17. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Absolutely loving the experience! Beautifully done. I see it's number 3 in both the UK and US iPad charts. Nice one!

18. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #139 Leegames, Mar 24, 2011
    ruuuuuuuuun ;) edit: rereading makes me think you don't use your shield to block then hit in the actual fight?

19. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Had a quick play on this at lunchtime and reached side B, oh how I've yearned to play through this sequence! Finally it's happened, when you get there it will all make sense!