Universal Supermagical (by Gala Pocket)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TheFrost, Jun 22, 2012.

1. nestor

nestor Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    For those of you on iOS 6 beta, I have found a way around the bug that makes the game crash during the first cutscene after the tutorial.

As soon as the witch starts casting the spell on the cauldron, start tapping the screen repeatedly until everything explodes and the scene moves on to show the minix falling from the sky. From that point on you should be good to go (until I run into another bug lol).

Hope this helps! And don't ask how many times I started the game trying to get around the bug cause I lost count... Just take this as a sign of how awesome this game is and just how badly I wanted to play it. :D

2. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    #142 Eddie, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    Manuel is a con artist

Just in case anyone was wondering :) - never spend your hard earned cash at Manuel's shop. I did an experiment and bought 3 large pinatas (5 items each) wasting 10500 coins. I got three ingredients (the most expensive I 've ever bought was around 1200 coins, so those were at most a 4500 coins value), a couple candy sets and various nothings.
    I also bought 10 small pinatas (3 items each) for 5000 coins; the best return on investment was 2 candies and a ruby, a value of 450 coins.
    In other words, never buy anything from Manuel, it's totally not worth it. I hoped they'll at least improve your odds the more you spend, but no.

[later edit] What's the fastest level to grind ? With the gold cap on, I'm making 550 coins in 1 min 30 in the Jungle Watchtower level on the first continent. Does anyone know of a better time / coins exchange rate ? :)

3. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    #143 Janni, Aug 25, 2012
    i have to agree. supermagical would probably be my fifth GOTW nomination, but i'm going to pass because of the file size (sorry, way too large for this gametype)

edit: oops, just read about the IAP stuff... seems no loss at all

4. Kikekun

Kikekun Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    #144 Kikekun, Aug 25, 2012
    For those saying that the game is big, well, of course those iPad Retina assets are heavy, but we are talking about a 20+ hours long game, huge maps to explore, 72 different stage backgrounds, animations with a crazy amount of frames (I know, I made them...haha)...etc.

Supermagical is a huge game, not your average Flash-based Angry Birds clone. We wanted to give you one of the best games ever on iOS, just as simple as that. It might sound cheesy or cocky, but that's just the only objective we aim for every time we start making a new project. Nothing less.

But anyways, whatever things we screw up o do badly in your opinion, please take always into account that originally they are made with our best intentions in mind just to give you the best game possible. We are truly iOS devs that care about what they do and do not release a crappy game every week just to see if we win the lottery. This one took 1 and a half years to make after Pro Zombie Soccer, just for you to know.

5. Kikekun

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    Oh, I wanted to add a simple detail for the people that have to "grind" a little bit to get more coins:
    Every time you play a level, that level is different all the time because the creatures generate randomly, so it should not be a huge chore as some are putting it.
    Plus the game if FUN! :)

6. Kikekun

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    On the big piƱatas there is a low % of getting a hat, a warlock level-up or a mascot, but we tested them internally A LOT and well, some people were really lucky and got 2 level-ups, all the mascots and a hat in a few tries, while others were getting only small items...haha. It's all about luck!:D

7. ohyesuare

ohyesuare Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Just want to say that I am loving this game so far, had to literally pull myself away from trying to finish it in one sitting. Great graphics, funny story so far and addictive gameplay. The screenshots didn't pull me in but so glad I gave it a chance.

8. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I was ready to download this game until I came to this thread and read about the intentional design choice to make you grind or push people to IAP.

Sorry, I can't encourage that sort of model. Have to pass and tell all my friends to do so too. Shame.

9. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Sucks to be you, you're denying yourself and your friends a great game. The grinding really isn't that bad, I spent about 15-20 minutes or so replaying levels to get me the prerequisite item to get to World 2, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. It's nowhere near the level of grind that Defenders Chronicles and its sequel are at.

10. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

I am always amazed how people complain about grinding in this kind of game. It's like saying you've got to grind in Tetris because you have to make lines of blocks, repeatedely, all the time. Really. The point of the game is matching stuff. The stuff is randomly placed. There's no actual grind if you take that in account, you are just playing the freaking game. It's the same story of people complaining that Puzzle Craft might be a bit grindy.

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Have to agree... every time I read a post about needing to 'grind', I just shake my head. Poor money management resulting in the need to replay a couple levels does not make this a game that's geared towards IAP. And with the randomness of what orbs you're given to fire, each time you play a level is like playing a different level with the same type of enemy layout. I've actually played every single level twice, either to get a better star rating, or to better my time... It's just a shame that someone who can't control their spending in the shops is giving a bad impression of the game. =o/

12. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Except if I'm bad with money in other games, I am not prevented from progressing. That's my main gripe with Supermagical.

13. Kikekun

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    @Syntheticvoice, @Ednan, @Urthop : Thanks very much for your words, guys.

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    you're not prevented from progressing here either. You're not REQUIRED to purchase coins through IAP... just replay a couple levels, and you could have spent your time moving on in the game instead of unnecessarily going off here on the forums...

15. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

It's not about the money. It's about matching stuff, which is what you essentially will do the whole game. Everything else the game has to offer besides matching is an extra, just like improve you settlement in Puzzle Craft, in that game, the point is to connect stuff, improve your settlement is an added extra to the mechanics.
    If matching stuff is not your thing, maybe you should look in somewhere else. Not every game is made for everyone, some like matching things, others like shooting things, others like managing things and some like to rage about things :)

16. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    I love match 3 games, completed 10000000 and played the crap out of Puzzle Quest. :)

You still don't get it, it's all about the money in Supermagical. I need to pay 8000 for a white tiger pet or else I can't continue. It's literally extortion, the bridge troll demanding you pay his toll to get across the bridge.

17. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Just go back and play the stages again? I think the matter is I don't see that as grinding :confused:

18. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Don't apologize for the file size. This isn't some endless runner with terrible graphics. The iAPs on the other hand...

19. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    ok, you've got me with that one (just removed dark meadow for space).

and as "IAP avoiding" seems to be a common gamer skill these days, i'll giving it a try... cheers

20. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #160 ironsam80, Aug 25, 2012
    @Kikekun
    Hey guys.. your game rocks!!!
    I am a fun of match 3 and bubble games but when i bought this i haven't in my mind something that addictive!!! I cannot put it down...
    As for the iaps i am in the middle of the second word and till now i didn't need them (maybe helped that before i buy i read all the comments here so i knew a little better how to spend wisely my coins from the beginning).
    One small suggestion:
    I think it would be better if you ll chance the app icon... Before seeing the videos by Sanuku or read the whole stuff here, this icon made me believe that this game is one more generic quick match 3. This game is so big, interesting, with so many elements, that i think maybe is better to put a more ''strong'' icon (maybe by using the protagonist you ll have much more impact and something more unique)... I don't know if this will hurt your sales, because people have used in this icon... just saying...
    And of course the artwork and the retina resolution makes the game shine on my iPad3...
    Anyway excellent work guys.. wish you good sales!!