Universal Swap Heroes 2 (by Christopher Savory)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Feb 18, 2015.

1. NFCT

NFCT Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Graphic Designer
    Chernobyl
    I didn't get a chance to grab the first one, "backlog to infinity" but this is catching my eye. Looking for a more in-depth review/opinions from any of the early adopters. Thanks in advance.

2. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Anyone dig this game? Please give some review

3. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I enjoyed the first one but the one thing I did NOT like was the random nature of upgrading the characters between battles. You would save some coins hoping for the upgrade you wanted to come up but it was a crapshoot whether it would be offered or not. Maybe that was intentional to add some tension to the game but I found it frustrating and blamed THAT for my failure to get very far #

What's the upgrade system like in this new version?

4. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    So far so good, nice improvement from the first game that i actually enjoyed (even if i never managed to complete).
    Now you have multiple levels, when you complete them you get a star that you can use to buff all the characters (ATK, MAG, HP etc); you can also unlock 4 additional characters.
    There is more sense of progression as you don't have to restart everytime from the first level and every level has different difficulties (each one earning a star once completed).
    I didn't dig to deep yet but i'm liking it so far; if you liked the first one you wil not be disappointed otherwise i still think it's worth a try.

5. Chris Savory

Chris Savory Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Game Developer
    Vancouver, BC
    Thank you very much, andreada.

Mason, all of the random upgrade stuff is completely gone this time around :) As andreada said, each time you beat a level on a new difficulty you earn a star. You can then use those stars towards boosts for your entire team. These boosts can be changed any time outside of battle.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Nope. No more random. You gain skillpoints when your team levels up, and You use these points to improve your team's effectiveness in 4 categories: Health, Attack, Healing and Skill damage.

In addition to this improvement, you can re-spec these points to try out different team and stats combos.

This part alone is a huge improvement over the first. Gives you more control over your strategies.

7. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    It's probably just that I suck at this game but... I hit a difficulty spike pretty early in the game. I can't progress any further because I keep failing. I've tried changing my team. I've tried different skill builds. I've tried different missions, but I fail.

I suppose I'll keep trying, but I don't know how much patients I have left.

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Never played the first, but went back and bought it, and totally hooked me. Almost have it beat then I'm picking up this one for sure

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Congrats on the 4-star review on the front page!

10. MasonHurst

Jan 9, 2013
    Thanks Chris - you sold me on the first one and now you get a repeat customer #

Btw did you ever get rid of the double screen controls problem on The Boy with Bombs? I don't have it on my iPad right now but the last version I had on the iPad 2 air with 8.0 had this issue.

Don't let it become abandonware... It's great for a quick blast and the art is special.

11. MasonHurst

Jan 9, 2013
    Thanks... I'll give it a shot.

12. MasonHurst

Jan 9, 2013
    I suck at it also but on the first one I learned to tap on the enemies to see their damage stats (duuuh... I know). This way if you have a character about to croak you can line them up with an enemy with the weakest attack.

Deep strategy I know... ☺️

13. Chris Savory

Oct 23, 2014
    Game Developer
    Vancouver, BC
    Haha, thanks Mason! You're the biggest bombs fan I have. I've been meaning to get to that but no I haven't shipped an update yet, been a really busy time with Swap 2.

Hope you like the sequel! Appreciate your support on all 3 of my games :)

14. soundshaper

soundshaper Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I think that this should have been an update rather then a new game... The first one polished enough at the asked price...

15. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #35 y2kmp3, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Chris,

I am very interested in trying out your game. Did not had a chance to play the original Swap Heroes.

+1 !!!! for a game with no in-app purchase or ads!!!! Awesome!

Some questions for you...

How much does the game rely on skillz as compared to chance? I am asking this because there is another causal RPG (which shall remain nameless for this post. ;) ... ) I recently played for which I was disappointed to discover that the later levels were completely dominated by chance so that skillz and strategy play very little role in whether or not you succeed in beating a level and that the character level system is therefore made completely meaningless (since a strong character give you no better than chance that you can succed or not).

Also, excluding the endless mode, approximately how long is the "campaign mode"? Is there a proper end to the campaign or story mode where you have maxed out your character stats and loots? To me, have a proper end is important so that I know when the game is "done".

With the progression system, are you supposed to play each level in each of the three difficulties first and completing them before moving onto the next level? Or are you supposed to first every level (including or excluding the final boss) for 1 star first and then return for another round for 2 stars and finally 3 stars? Which order is the intended progression?

Lastly, what is the system (if any) of consumables like potions or temporary (not permanent) power-ups? If such exists, is the game well balanced in such a way that it is winnable entirely without using any consumables?

Can you comment on this?

16. Rawk GWJ

Feb 9, 2014
    #36 Rawk GWJ, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Hmmm... It seems like I just read a TA news story that dealt with this issue.

Come on broseph! What do you expect for $3.00. This is a true sequel. If you bought both games, like I did, then you've spent a whopping $6.00. Perspective.

Perspective.

17. Rawk GWJ

Feb 9, 2014
    Thank you for that. I'm looking forward to jumping back into this charming game.

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Pfft. You're just looking to get the sequel free. Perspective.

Perspective.

;)

19. Chris Savory

Oct 23, 2014
    Game Developer
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey y2kmp3!

Thanks for the interest and questions.

1. The only randomness in the game are the locations in which the enemies spawn. This will cause each level to be slightly different each time you try it but nothing major. Your characters always hit for the amount of damage listed and enemies always respond with the amount of damage listed. No skills this time are random (Swap 1 did have some random skills).

2. The campaign is somewhat short as it's 4 quests (each has 2 levels in it) and each quest must be completed on 3 different difficulties. This will then grant you access to the final boss fight. There is a final ending when you defeat the boss which should give you closure. The endless mode is there afterwards, should you want to play without starting the campaign over again :)

3. There are no consumables or temporary upgrades. When you beat a level, you earn a star point. You can then use this star point to equip boosts in health, attack, healing, and skill damage. These boosts can be refunded for star points and applied elsewhere should you change your mind but are not consumed.

Hope that helps!

Also, for people finding the game hard (which it is) something I notice when I watch a lot of gameplay videos is that people usually have 1 target enemy they are trying to kill and swap a character towards that character to kill them. It's best to always try and be aware of the danger other characters might be placed in during a swap or even during the lack of a swap. I see a lot of people moving a healer from the back right in front of a melee enemy for example or leaving a weak character in harms way as they focus on something else. Sure you get the heal off but melee enemies punish characters quite heavily and usually your healer is not the one you want taking that big hit :) Just a tip!

Appreciate all the support guys.

Chris

20. Chris Savory

Oct 23, 2014
    Game Developer
    Vancouver, BC
    Thank you, Rawk! $4.00 actually as the original was only a dollar ;)