GameClub Sway (by Illusion Labs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Feb 25, 2009.

1. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I'm really liking it so far - great graphics (especially the art style), nice sound (although music is quite repetitive), interesting characters, great level design and absolutely awesome controls!

I do agree with Arn's review, in that the challenge offered is greatly reduced by the no penalty for dying thing. The solution is quite simple: introduce a life system like that in Bounce On, where the player gets a default of 2 lives per level, but pickups are also available within levels (could be extra challenge to find or get to them or after acquiring a certain number of stars). It would make the game much more difficult and reward skill whilst not becoming too annoying.

I like Donkei's suggestion of using different background materials, might be quite fun. Especially if the characters had different grip levels, so 1 might be more suitable for a particular level.

Anders, is anything unlocked if you get all the Gold medals? That would certainly be an incentive to do so...

2. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    We all had different favorite settings for the character in the physics engine when we developed the game, so in order to make everyone happy we ended up using alla of them, one for each character.

Lizzy, Ninja Man and Monkee are the most different, and Box Man is a mix of Lizzy and Ninja Man. There are differences between all of them, and if you play a lot you'll notice them.

3. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    I cannot tell you that, can I? ;)

But if you really need to know:

no, at least not in this version

4. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

New Idea: Why not make a system whereby if you get a gold on a level you gain a life? These are then added to your total to be used from then on. This is the best incentive i could think of to get players to want to get the gold medals, possibly even requiring it to progress!

What do you guys think?

5. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    ok

can i say all the guys?
    ive only counted 6.........

6. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    There is a small bug where sometimes he doesn't grab on when i press on the left side while also moving my finger. It doesn't happen much but annoying when it does.

7. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    7 total :D

8. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    monkey, lizard, ninja, robot, wiz, and box man

who else?

9. Pal Van Marrsterhausen

Pal Van Marrsterhausen Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    "Stitches" He smells like granny's old socks! :D

10. dr1112

dr1112 Active Member

Oct 20, 2008
    awesome

The recent edge update was great, but sway is the best iDevice platformer i've played. Love the controls and swinging around like a ninja, although I think stitches is my favorite character to play as. One bug I have noticed though is the ability to pick up items and even go through checkpoints after 'dying' from hitting spikes. Also sometimes my character seems to let go for no reason at all. Other than that this game is super fun to play, and I hope there is a Sway 2, with even more polished badassness, in the future.

11. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    +More characters and 2 times as much levels.

I beat sway in only about 2 hours. Still worth it though.

12. dr1112

dr1112 Active Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Suggestions for Sway

Almost forgot to add my suggestions. Pretty much the same as everyone else here I think.

- I have to agree with the others that there should be some sort of life system.

- 'Slippery' surfaces and other environmental hazards would be a neat twist to levels.

- More unlockable characters to play as for getting gold medals.

- Online High Scores

- More detailed levels.

- More satisfying 'kill me'. =]

13. choaffable

choaffable Member

Jan 21, 2009
    #193 choaffable, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
    Just wanted to say I’m really enjoying the game. The depth in the swing mechanic makes playing Sway a joy. I’m hoping later levels in the update encourage more advanced play and really squeeze that swing mechanic for all its worth. The different surface thing that people have mentioned would help towards that.

As for the whole adding lives thing…Leave them out. “Lives” are really just a holdover from the early arcade days and clashes with the philosophy of pick up and play. I understand people want something more to be at stake when playing games, but I think leader boards and achievements do that better. Stay away from the traditional tropes of old platformers that only artificially added challenge. Looking forward to the update.

14. Justinm59

Justinm59 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Haha thats funny same thing happened to me

15. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    As long as everyone is making requests, I'd just like to chime in and say that so far I am completely satisfied.

To be honest, I'm not that great at this game yet, so one thing I really appreciate is that there is NO penalty for "dying." At first, I assumed there would be, and I was pleasantly surprised that the clock just kept ticking. It made me feel more relaxed in an otherwise frustrating situation (the fact that I kept dying).

I think that Sway is exponentially more difficult to navigate than a game like Bounce On. I can understand the "life" system in Bounce On because it's a more traditionally styled platformer, and the controls are way simple.

I know that a lot of the members here are "hardcore" "gamers," but please remember the people who are not as likely to dedicate hours of time to each session in order to become instant experts.

:)

16. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    I disagree with the NO life thinggy.

Further levels are already way too challenging as it is to even get penalties. It's a trial and error kind of thing.

17. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Please can sway developers add lvls

18. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    I love Sway so far, but just like Touchgrind, once you get the hang of it it's really easy to beat and needs more levels.

19. stanny

stanny Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I am only going to get this if a life system is implemented. I can't stand games which don't punish you for dying because it becomes a trial and error grind fest.

20. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    fyi, even I don't think "lives" necessarily should to be implemented. because you can die like 20 times on a level easily. But some sort of incentive to be more careful. like I said minimum bronze medal to move on would add a lot of gameplay and incentive to play "well" and not just catapult yourself to the exit.

arn