Universal Swipey Rogue (by First-Order Games LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 26, 2015.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    You know I had a great idea. What if you added different weapons to the chance wheel? Wouldn't that work out and change things up too?

Just throwing out ideas. I definitely would take a spin before free running to maybe get a different weapon.

Billy

2. firstordergames

firstordergames Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Game Devloper
    Los Angeles
    Cool idea. It could use the same underlying system as the spells and just activate perks (ie: a spell has a perk that gives you a chance of critical, and a different weapon could do the same).

For me it's always an issue of resources. I don't have the resources to buy or make a bunch of weapons. The main character that I'm using has the axes and a sword (I'm not using the sword, so I have one extra weapon I guess). I could also just give you the same weapon but call it something different like "You got the Axes of Smiting!" and it's the same axe model, but it gives you a perk like the spells function... Even that would add a little variety to the prizes you get out of the wheel.

It's something to think about. I like it, thanks!

3. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Nice, I beat the speed run for 25 and 26 :)

More enemies would be cool but I wouldn't use my resources on that because I think there's a good variety already. Boss fights sound awesome though!!
    There is so much you could add to this game with updates if you had the resources. I hope the game does very well so you can man!

P.s I would add that sword if you can haha

4. firstordergames

Jan 19, 2015
    Game Devloper
    Los Angeles
    Haha, good one. Those are hard. Did you post your replay?

I should have added one of those gray overlays that highlights the replay button the first few times. It's the blue film icon button on the bottom right after you beat a challenge room (replays only record during challenge saga runs, not free running unfortunately).

I should post a screenshot of it.

5. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    See I do a lot of beta testing but I'll be honest I've never gotten into that aspect of the game making. I was only thinking in terms of what might be easy yet add fun. I never thought of it in the way you speak. It makes sense and I understand. It's sad that you have a great vision but are so hampered. It's fascinating to see the developer side of things and the thoughts and processes that go into making a great game. This is the stuff everyone needs to know and understand and maybe then people won't want everything for free and think that making a game is nothing.

Thanks for all your help and explanation.

Billy

6. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    Looks like the guy in the icon was swiped right out of Tap Tap Infinity.

7. firstordergames

Jan 19, 2015
    Game Devloper
    Los Angeles
    Cool! They were good ideas. I like to think there's always a way to implement the spirit of an idea, even if it's not executed as initially imagined. Even with limitations, there's the possibility of getting the benefit of a concept into the game in some way or another. So, it's always worth imagining because you never know how some part of some idea may end up being valuable.

8. firstordergames

Jan 19, 2015
    Game Devloper
    Los Angeles
    #48 firstordergames, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Bitgem creates affordable, low poly, 3D, rigged, and animated characters in many common game themes. You'll find indie developers, who can't afford custom 3D art, will often use their assets for the reasons mentioned. Mini Viking Eric has been around for a while and I'm sure he's stared in numerous games.
    http://shop.bitgem3d.com/collections/low-poly-3d-characters/products/low-poly-mini-viking-eric

9. firstordergames

Jan 19, 2015
    Game Devloper
    Los Angeles
    I just submitted a new version to the App Store for approval. It adds some helper UI text, but mostly I wanted to replace the horrible looking screenshots and add a preview video. We'll see how long it takes to approve.

But, just today I was playing with the spells that I got fom the code I'd provided in this thread. OMG, I had an epic run. I had the spell with the high revive chance perk in it. I went forever. I got to level 10, I had 13 perks and I revived like 5 or 6 times. I started recording near the end of the run for fun so I could share it.

Here it is (anyone else have any epic runs with those spells?):

10. firstordergames

Jan 19, 2015
    Game Devloper
    Los Angeles
    Hey everyone. Just leaving a little code for a small pack of crazy spells.

[​IMG]

11. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Ooooo I encountered a bug! Hehe. Thanks for the code btw. I somehow got stuck in between two rooms. See pic. I tried swiping all directions to no avail.

Out of over 100 games played this is the first time so maybe it's just a fluke.

Billy

12. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Sometimes using the ta app the image says uploaded but it doesn't show!

Attached Files:

13. firstordergames

Jan 19, 2015
    Game Devloper
    Los Angeles
    Hmm, that's no good. Sorry about that.

Were you coming in from the top and the door never opened?

14. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Came in from the top and went in the bottom room by accident. Came back up. I cleared the room you see. Then went back down and that's when it hung. Swiping made the correct sounds but it was just stuck there.

Billy

15. firstordergames

Jan 19, 2015
    Game Devloper
    Los Angeles
    #55 firstordergames, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Ok, so the bottom door didn't trigger the transition when you went through it again? And you just got lost off the bottom of the screen?

Haven't encountered that before. I'll look into it. Thanks, and sorry again.

16. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Yes that's exactly it! again it isn't a normal thing. I'm playing right now with no issues

iPhone 5s running iOS 8.4

Billy

17. jordanfwc

jordanfwc Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Hey there,
    Really enjoying the game so far! At first I wished my guy would stop but then I kind of got hooked on that aspect of it. I'm cruising my way through the first challenge and grinding some gold in endless. fun stuff so far! Great job

18. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    This is one great little game! Love it! One question. What do the left/right arrow selections in the Settings/Options menu do? Increase/decrease sensitivity, or the amount you have to swipe to change direction? I tried both the longest and the shortest arrows but couldn't tell much difference.

19. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Wow it's been a while. People need to play this game. I just had a great run!

Billy

Attached Files:

20. firstordergames

Jan 19, 2015
    Game Devloper
    Los Angeles
    Hey, thanks for your comments. My email settings must have changed. I didn't see notifications. Thanks for playing! :)