Universal Swoc: of Swords and Blocks (by Baptiste Villain)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 29, 2014.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #21 LordGek, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    Hunh? There is a little question mark over on the left that will allow you to get info on each of the baddies, even the basic grunts with fun flavor text.

@BV
    Minor feature request: Any chance of having top scores of each class displayed at the end of a run? Basically I'd like to know immediately at the end of a run if I've just set a new personal best with my Warrior, for example.

2. Baptiste Villain

Baptiste Villain Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    @kioshi: thank you for the info about 64 bits devices. Anyway, I think I fixed both known crashes on my local version, but I'm just stuck with new rules from Apple that are not compatible with my SDK, so I just can not update the live game for now :-(

@Billy: let me know if the "?" button is not providing enough informations.

@LordGek: Right, I got a similar request on twitter. I will rework the score display on the first major update.

3. Buzzit

Buzzit Member

Sep 16, 2013
    #23 Buzzit, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    I really like this game but the graphics (particularly strength value) could do with a tidy up / rethink for iphone.

I was also up to 1600 points using the Druid when my phone ran out of battery and I completely lost my game (didn't like that)

Between this and Bush League I am a pretty happy camper

Edit: With respect to Scurvy : It had more polish but I think Swoc has much more enjoyable replay value than Scurvy. After the umpteenth land exploration on Scurvy it got exceptionally repetitive.

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Fix the crash bug and add an endless mode and I'm in!

5. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    I eventually managed to upload the crash update to Apple, so your first wish will become true in a few days/hours according to review delay.
    For the endless mode : the game is endless by nature. Someone told me he got over 2K points already. Once you beat all 4 different bosses, more monsters and same bosses come again with stronger power until you die.

@Buzzit: the update come with bigger font on strength values, so it's easier to read on phones.

6. rael42

rael42 Member

May 16, 2011
    IT
    Midwest US
    Quick question - How do you unlock the fifth and sixth characters?

For instance, the fifth says "You must score: 500 pts to unlock this character". My current best is 697 (with ENKI, the druid if that matters) and that character is still dark with the question mark and I can't play or see it. Is it 500 with each of the 4 other characters? or is it actually 5000 points maybe?

Anyone unlock either of the mystery characters yet?

Liking the game so far. Played Scurvy Scallywags pretty much to completion and loved that. This is similar in gameplay but adds enough variation to keep it fresh and interesting.

7. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Here's a new(?) one for you...

Attached Files:

8. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    @Rael: this is another unfortunate bug, the 5th character unlocks at 1000 instead of 500 in current version, so you have to try again. But it's being fixed with the update, it will be unlocked at 500 (with no retro-compatibility, so you will have to score 500 again).

@abstractgamefreak: thank you, this is the same as page 1 and should be fixed with the update too.

Here is the content of the update I sent to Apple if you want to have a look. Mostly hotfixes of things I missed while testing on my devices:

- characters power is now displayed with a bigger font for a better experience on phones,
    - fixed a crash with final boss,
    - fixed a random crash people reported (obj_replaceController)
    - fixed the thief unlock at 500 points,
    - fixed the gamecenter leaderboard confusion with thief and paladin,
    - better responsivity for rate button,

9. rael42

rael42 Member

May 16, 2011
    IT
    Midwest US
    Cool. Don't mind a challenge just wanted to make sure I knew what I was shooting for. Still having fun figuring out each of the characters and the monsters. Looking forward to the little tweaks / fixes.

10. Buzzit

Buzzit Member

Sep 16, 2013
    I have unlocked the thief (character 5) no issue - but for some reason when I play with the thief it didn't register my score in the tables

11. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    I see...it is technically endless. I dig this game!
    Some suggestions...
    1. Would it be possible to have a portrait mode?
    2. I think you should be able to move tiles diagonally
    3. You should change your icon.

Other than that, I always love a good match-3 that isn't crap like candy crush! Nice job.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Thieves scores show up for the Paladin and visa versa, I think, until the update.

13. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    @vectorarchitekt: Thank you for the support :)
    About portrait mode: in early builds, it was supported. But interfaces are a huge pain to handle as a lone developper. It just eats up too much time compared to other tasks that I feel are more crucial to have a fun game. So I do not support portrait mode anymore, until I find a smart way to do so on all devices without having to re-code every coordinates and rethink text position.
    About diagonals: I'm not planning a real diagonal swipe for now, but in the first major update, I plan to add a character that can link diagonal blocks with its power (a bit like what you see in fable age).
    About the icon: to be honest, I had no inspiration when creating it. Any suggestion is welcome.

And LordGek is right about the leaderboards, paladins are ranked as thieves and thieves as paladin. Another bug that will be fixed in the update.

BTW, if you have some time to vote for Swoc in the GoW topic (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=227135), that can help a lot ;)

14. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Voted. An iOS 7 themes icon would be cool. I know I'm crazy, but I'm all about a good one...

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Swoc is a lot of fun; initially I thought it looked really generic ('oh, another match-3 RPG hybrid') with unsure graphics (not that visuals are priority anyway) but Lord Gek's praise convinced me to give it a shot. This is one of the more meaningful match-3 games where it feels like moves have actual strategic value given that each enemy/character has various strength and weaknesses in the tiles you form so you have to focus on one pattern or another. Each hero has a unique special power that keeps things novel, it's a basic endless game but with a lot of detail. Swoc might be my 'Game of the Week' says the guy 59th on the leaderboards.

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Question: how do I know the direction of block shift if I eliminate some blocks? Is there a constant pattern in it? Know how things shift is important in making strategic decisions.

17. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    #37 Baptiste Villain, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
    Well, it's quite complex ^^
    It's always the way you swiped. Example: if you swipe fromp the quest block to your character, from left to right, then all blocks will come from left to right.

But there are 3 exceptions:
    When mobs move, they change the swipe direction according to their move.
    When you have an automatic fight, it changes the swipe direction to fill the "dead" hole.
    When the puzzle spirit is on the board (either you or as the boss), if he uses his special power on his line/column, it changes the direction so that he moves to get a power bonus. If he uses his power outside of his column/line, the direction changes according to the small sign you can see on top left of the board.

PS: thank you for the votes on Game of the week topic!

18. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Just downloading this now. I deleted Horde of Heroes after tiring of the 'freemium' IAP timer multiple currency nonsense. SWOC looks awesome, especially in light of Lord Gek's high praise. Will post impressions/questions soon.

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Woah, this looks really good. And the iTunes description is priceless :D

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #40 undeadcow, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
    The more I play Swoc, the more I want to play it. Unlocking one of the characters after playing the Paladin forever shows how much variety there is to the classes, it's like a whole new game.

It feels curious there there's no buff/debuff multiplier for stringing together chains of successive same tile sets. It looks like each match with tiles greater than 3 adds an addition +/- one per tile.

Agggh... accursed crashes.