Universal Swoc: of Swords and Blocks (by Baptiste Villain)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 29, 2014.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Wow... that update seems amazing, can't wait until I get to wifi. The new classes are definitely appreciated! How was pyromancer not a class before, that is awesome!

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Found a minor quest bug. I'm tasked with destroying 31 swords but my goal progress deal starts at "0/21". So is the quest to get 31 or 21 swords?

3. Baptiste Villain

Baptiste Villain Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    Hmm, it's 21... updating the quest text before adding balance tweaks to it :mad: but don't worry, it will validate at 21.
    I'm fixing it right now.

I'm still looking at warrior issue: it seems to only happen when you crush a tile that is on you line or column. So you can still crush diagonal tiles (but it looks weird, like a tile is teleporting).

Anyway, I'm still after this bug, I hope to find it today and resubmit for next week.

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I almost missed this one. I love Darkin but I really didn't care for block legend. How do you think I will like this one?

5. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    #85 Baptiste Villain, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    After hours of *censored*, I ended up finding a fix for the warrior skill and it's being tested \o/
    Should be out in a few hours on Android and next week on iOS (after Apple review, as usual).

Also fixed other minor things reported here and on twitter.

6. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Isn't this clone of Block Legends? Looks almost identical. What's the difference? I already have Block Legends is this much different?

7. WildBastion

WildBastion Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Hey there, I found your game to be quite fun but I came across an error message and crash when I tried to swipe while a combo was happening, one I wasn't expecting.

Also, the text is utterly unreadable on my 3GS, sadly.
    Attached is a screenshot.

A new font wouldn't hurt, or an options list to alter small things. If there could be a way to speed the game up that would be awesome! I do not know if it is my older device or not, but the movement of the tiles could be faster.

I look forward to your improvements, i'll keep playing in the mean time :p

Attached Files:

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    TOTALLY DIFFERENT! While it shares the concept that matching swords means something different than matching scrolls (unlike something like Candy Crush where all colored blocks are treated identically), this game is both about making key match types to grow your character (triggering their special ability which is different for each class), while carefully positioning your avatar on the grid (stomping those less powerful while avoiding the bigger baddies than you).

9. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    #89 Baptiste Villain, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    Swoc is really different from Block Legend:
    Block Legend is based on its massive content and tap gameplay (tap 2 or more blocks to make something happen depending on stats of your guy).
    Swoc is based on Bejewled/Candy Crush gameplay (swipe a block to match 3) and is more focused on positionning (characters are on the grid, so every match you do can change the whole layout of the fight). It has far less content (9 heroes and 9 ennemies), but my goal was not to spam player with tons of things to do, only a few ones that offer enough subtelity to make you think a lot before acting.
    If you know it, Swoc is closer to Scurvy Scalliwags. Remove the story from Scurvy Scalliwags, but add powerfull spells, and you get Swoc.

I'm really sorry for 3GS (or older iPods) users, but I have no reasonnable way to offer better visibility on texts (my code is really far from being clean, and any change to the interface might result in heavy bugs everywhere :/ )... I will add a warning to the game description.
    The best I can do is send you "captures" of the bosses ability, so you will be able to know what they do when you encounter them.
    Here we go:
    SwocBosses.png

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I prefer Swoc to Block Legend because Swoc's rules are more detailed and interesting leading to heated battles. You have to navigate your player around the board to get close to, or escape, enemies... conserve resources (shield points) and try to string together bigger attacks. Swoc is turn based. Ultimately I found BL to be imbalanced (sharp difficulty spikes) and repetitive. Also, Swoc has different rules for each character keeping things fresh.

11. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    Ok I'll get this. Just deleted most of my timer based games. All King games. Sick of timers and IAP. I just want to buy and be left alone to play.

Doesn't matter if I don't like this much at least I'm supporting a dev who understands we just want to play and enjoy and not be continually spammed for money.

12. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    #92 worldcitizen1919, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    Bought it. It's ok but the graphics hurt my eyes. Wish they were smooth instead of pixelated. Gameplay is good with plenty of challenge. I'll have to try other modes.

I like the challenge but please fix the crashes.

13. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    Sorry for graphics, I just can't do better, and I have no deal with an artist on this game.
    About crashes, it is only with the warrior, right? Just don't play the warrior until next patch, he's bugged. The hotfix is waiting for Apple review, it should be out wednesday next week.

14. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Is anyone else's board freezing up? As in you can't move anymore? I go to pause/ I pause and that fixes it for a second. Sometimes when I match the whole disappears and it won't be filled in with anything. My hero even flew off the board...

15. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    Can you confirm it only happens with the warrior? If so, please skip him for now, the hotfix is coming as mentioned above.

16. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I didn't make that correlation. Yes all I use is warrior. Ok I'll use someone else for now and see what happens. Really enjoying this. Very different.

17. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    It seems I've been lucky with review delay this time, the 2.0.1 version has just been validated by Apple and should be available in a few minutes for everyone. It fixes the warrior, fixes the wrong values in quest texts and the rare lock of the grid when no combination is available but 3 tombstones are aligned.

I hope everything is OK now on iOS, but by the way, I'm looking for someone with a Nexus 10 Android Tablet. You'll get a free apk install of Swoc to confirm a graphical bug ;) Contact me via PM if you own a Nexus 10 !

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The Warrior fix is working great, thanks!

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Why are my highscores constantly being reset?

20. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    Right, local scores are not saved if the game is shut down (by double taping home button). But you still have the right scores in Game Center leaderboards.

I can't publish the fix right now but I'll send it for a review to Apple on monday.