Universal Swoc: of Swords and Blocks (by Baptiste Villain)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 29, 2014.

1. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Wow this one snuck by me... I love these kind of games and am going to buy it now.

On the subject of art... Couldn't you find some eager budding GFX artist at some local college to do some art... for a cheap rate?

I figure there has to be young artists that would love to get some visibility by being involved in an iOS game.

Looks like an interesting title Baptiste... glad to support such an involved and communicative dev.

2. Baptiste Villain

Baptiste Villain Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    Thank you MasonHurt.
    Let me know if you encounter any isssue.

And about the artist: I might have found one, but there has been so many changes in the project that it was already too far in development to get someone involved.

At start I believed I could do something "minimalist" by my own, here are a few character tiles from first version :
    OldChar.png
    For a moment, there was not even levels, all the game was based on individual skills, but it was lacking any difficulty curve.

Then I tried with open source graphs, it was really horrible.
    Then I tried to have a deal with a guy from Japan that built a graphical character generator, but we didn't find an agreement.

So in the end I rushed a pixel art version in one week-end, and even if I was not satisfied, friends told me it was great, so I kept it (and poilished it a lot slowly).

Don't worry, my next project is starting in duo with a graphic artist. Maybe someday I'll try to build Swoc 3.0 with better graphics, but it's a huge work considering the amount of sprites and promotional assets I'm using.

3. MasonHurst

Jan 9, 2013
    I like your minimalist art... Of course the game would have had a whole different feel. Not better or worse... just different. The pixel art you used is actually quite charming and indeed grows on you...

Glad I bought it... Not disappointed at all. Seems to truly be the thinking man's Scurvy Scallawags. Nice job!

4. legendofchin97

legendofchin97 Active Member

Sep 11, 2013
    I think the art's great, but the icon could use an update eventually.

I've noticed the Shieldsmaiden doesn't seem to be doing her special shield blast or whatnot for me. I'm sliding her towards people but nothing happens.

Also, I've got the fatal error screen crash a few times lately.

5. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    Maybe the controlls are counter-intuitive : you have to release her NEXT to an ennemy, not on him. I'll look if I can do something easier.

That's quite sad that there is still a crash somewhere :( If you have any information to guide me on reproducing or identifying the crash, please let me know (what characer are you using? Are you in solo mode or multiplayer? Are you using a specific skill or maybe fighting, or even gathering a quest right when it crashes?)

6. MasonHurst

Jan 9, 2013
    I know this has probably been covered so I apologize for asking gain... when I hit 500 points it unlocked a new character. But in the same game when I went past 1000 no other character was unlocked.

Is this normal?

Really enjoying this game... fun to try out each characters abilities. It indeed does force you to play the game differently when you choose a different character.

7. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    Yes, the Thief unlocks when you reach 500 points for the first time.
    The other 3 locked characters unlock on different conditions:
    - killing a puzzle spirit
    - destroying 1000 shields (among several games)
    - completing 50 quests (among several games)

8. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Ok now that the warrior glitch is gone. How about the Druid? I tried to enter eagle form and switch to any where in the row but it just goes back to his starting position. Also, if you can explain how I can pick up the quest block? The one with the exclamation point. I try to swipe it in any direction but nothing happens.

9. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    To use the druid skill, you have to ensure a match, other wise it will go back to its original position. It can be a match of anything (even 3 shields), but note that you'll get bonus power if you match trees when using his skill.

About the quest tile: some characters have a skill triggered when you start the swipe from them (druid, shaman, shieldmaiden). When you use one of theese guys, you need to swipe FROM the quest tile TO your character to get the quest.

By the way: the fix for losing local scores when you quit the game will be sent to Apple tomorrow with a new sound option I was asked for (you'll be able to remove the typewriter SFX when characters talk). If you have last minute requests or some screenshots of crashes, be quick, I'm keeping an eye here :)

10. MasonHurst

Jan 9, 2013
    Baptiste - you're the best ;-)

The more I play this game the more I like it... Each character plays appropriately and quite differently. The wizard has to keep a distance and line up properly with the enemies... the warrior goes in swinging away... etc...Very cool.

Plus the Puzzle Spirit is some nice art on your part... Maybe just use him as the game's icon?

Thanks for the SFX option btw.

11. legendofchin97

legendofchin97 Active Member

Sep 11, 2013
    Here's the crash... Playing as Warrior about to enter a fight with the tree-lover.

Attached Files:

12. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    Thank you, this one will be fixed in next update. :)

13. Holsety

Holsety Member

May 20, 2014
    Going to pick this up after the weekend, gameplay looks awesome. Loving the art, reminds me of Moraff's Dungeons of the Unforgiven (in a good way!).

14. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    2.0.2 version has been rreviewed and should be available in a moment with fix to warrior crash, local scores and new sound option. Let me know if you encounter anything wrong or if you have a simple feature request :)

15. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    2.0.3 update has been reviewed and is out right now.
    Only bug fixes included again:
    - skill quest works with the pyromancer,
    - swiping while warrior triggers its skill does not mess up the grid anymore.

Feel free to let me know if anything goes wrong :)

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Uhm, it would seem Warrior has become rebroken with blank tiles appearing after using his skill.

17. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    Gosh. Tested it again and again :( I'll look into this returning bug soon.

18. Baptiste Villain

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    #118 Baptiste Villain, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    The game has been updated to 2.0.4. It's now working well on iOS 8.

And to celebrate this update, the price has been cut 50% for a week. Enjoy Swoc at 1$!

PS: if you enjoy the game, you can have a look at my new Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/VillainGames
    You'll receive announcements about my games and even veery early previews of my WIP projects!

19. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Sold!!!!

20. drdreh

drdreh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Thanks for sale! :)