Universal Syder Arcade HD (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Jan 15, 2013.

1. aXon[Evil]

aXon[Evil] Member

Oct 12, 2012
    #81 aXon[Evil], Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    Actually the stick is proportional and there is a bit of inertia when you go hyperspeed and stop. This things could give the feeling of lag you are experiencing.

On iPad4 (and iPhone5) should run at 60fps. We are collecting user experiences to check it on the road. First update we will try to achieve an even better experience.

2. bashesh

bashesh Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Is this on iphone 4s? I am debating whether I should get it or not if its not enjoyable on 4s.

3. nschneider350

nschneider350 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Tried it on both my iPhone 5 and iPad 4 and it doesn't seem to run at 60 IMO. The lag on the stick seems to happen all the time, not just when in hyperspeed. I still think the game is great though and any improvements you can make would be icing on the cake.

4. aXon[Evil]

aXon[Evil] Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Ok. That's a good feedback.
    So basically I think we must concentrate on removing this "lag" feeling (whatever it is, it's not good) and achieving more "constant" framerate.

I can see majority of people is enjoying the game even with this issues, but we'll work on it.

Thanks for everyone for being so supportive. Maybe if anyone is interested I will use this thread to gather some beta-tester for the next release, when it's in production.

5. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    iPad 2. If you can deal with playing games like this at around 30 FPS with occasional drops, you shouldn't have an issue. The game certainly isn't broken by any means, it's just, as I said earlier in the thread, for me personally the overwhelming priority is a steady 60 FPS, and I don't enjoy games like this without it.

6. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
  7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, in survival, you still need to go through the tutorial screen... But that's it (aside from loading)...

And in the campaign... Every level gives out the tutorial screen while also giving you the story and dialogue. You can tap to skip through it, but there is no 'skip' option.

It would be great if you could disable the tutorial, and slip the story sections... Would definitely help keep the high action gameplay a bit more fluid and flowing.

8. Strange that you are getting alot of feedback from ipad 4 owners, cause on the ipad 3, it runs very well frameratewise. Maybe there is some kind of ipad 4 compatibility problem.

Would like to see relative touch, both left handed and right handed if possible. Usually play most games like this with a stylus in my right hand and the buttons on the left hand. If this game could add this, I would love it.

Also, on the select ship screen, it would be nice if you could hit the ship itself to select it, and maybe the select ship button should be a white color indicating that it is a button, cause at first it was a little confusing.

Good game overall.

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks! Will pick this up tomorrow.

To the dev..maybe consider adding a skip story/tutorial option so after finishing the campaign the first time, we can just get to the action more quickly.

10. aXon[Evil]

aXon[Evil] Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Relative touch is perfect when the scroll is independent from the ship. In Syder Arcade scroll follows the ship's speed, so I can't figure out a way to use relative in an efficient way.
    I will try to check if i can find something similar to relative touch that works, but in our test this control scheme was the one working better.

Totally agree with that. Good hint.

thanks!

11. aXon[Evil]

aXon[Evil] Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Generally speaking, lot of players are asking a "better skip story method".
    Ok. No bullshit, you want action, do you? :)

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Haha..yeah. For games like these and dual stick arena shooters, I generally want to jump back into the game asap.. I'm not a fan of overly long death sequence, then taken back to the main menu, then having to navigate through the menus to restart (which happens in some other games). I like the "Angry Birds" model where they show you your score, and has a retry button on the same page so your back into the game quickly. ;-)

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I really do think relative touch would rn the experience - which is a VERY rare thing for me to say... But Space Tripper was the same, and I still feel the same about that games touch controls...

But... They did add them. What they did was make it so that you can 'flick' your ship. As much as I hate to say it... If something was to work, I think that might be the best option considering the game doesn't auto scroll like typical shmups.

14. aXon[Evil]

aXon[Evil] Member

Oct 12, 2012
    However, I feel that an option for swapping controls left/right would be useful. noone is left-handed here? just to have a feedback about it.

15. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Yes please !

A few tweaks here and there (mentioned by some) and i have
    a next Meteor Blitz, meaning it won't leave my device, congrats !

16. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Was going to pick this up after work..but couldn't help myself this morning. Bought and finished stage 3. Fun game with a lot of bullets. I can see the harder difficulty becoming wicked. ;) The framerate does drop from time to time, but it doesn't bother me so far.

Bug reports though... I think Gabrien mentioned before..the ship will stop shooting for me if I stay stationary after a few seconds. I haven't played the other 2 ships (only playing with the "default" ship) so can't tell if this happens for all ships. The second bug is the first time I got to stage 3, I tapped the screen to speed up the dialog. After the dialog is done, the screen is fixed to show the starting area. I'm moving the ship off the screen and can't see it. Even after quitting, and restarting the level, it was still stuck. Eventually I committed suicide (using the map as guide) and got gameover...then starting a new game beginning with stage 3, the problem went way...

Anyways, still a fun game. Can't wait till after work to beat it..then try out the other ships and the higher difficulties. =) Too bad I don't see this game being mentioned on more sites. =/

17. aXon[Evil]

aXon[Evil] Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Actually this is not a bug. The fire starts when you hit the stick and will last for 2 seconds after you leave it. This is the intended behaviour. Do you feel it's not the best way?

This is not good. I will investigate this.

Thanks a lot. We've made our best. ;)

18. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Are graphic filters going to come with next update ?
    So addicted to game, this is probably first and last time ever I'm 1st on leaderboard:p

19. aXon[Evil]

aXon[Evil] Member

Oct 12, 2012
    We are porting filters on the mobile version, but this feature is only for faster devices.

20. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #100 tops2, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    Thanks for explaining. I guess since I tried the demo on the pc with a fire button, and the iOS was missing a fire button so I thought it is always autofire.

The current system on the iOS won't allow us to stay stationary while firing, so I need to constantly make minute movements just to keep firing. The main reason I want to stay stationary is not to run into stray bullets, it's impossible to do this on the iOS version for more than that 2 seconds. Anyways..not sure how other feel about this. But maybe there's a reason to not always want to fire..but maybe I just haven't come across the situation.

But now knowing the autofire design, I'll adjust my play style accordingly and not wonder if its a bug or a design choice. ;-)