TA Forums Game of the Week! (08/Feb)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Feb 8, 2012.

?

TA Forums Game of the Week! (08/Feb)

Poll closed Feb 15, 2012.
  1. Beat Hazard Ultra

30.2%
  2. Corpse Party BloodCovered: Repeated Fear

2.3%
  3. DariusBurst SP

17.8%
  4. Diggin' Dogs

4.7%
  5. DoDonPachi Blissful Death

7.8%
  6. End Night (iPad)

1.6%
  7. Eufloria HD

15.5%
  8. Ragdoll Blaster 3

6.2%
  9. Raid Leader

10.1%
  10. The Tiny Bang Story

3.9%
  1. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Sorry, I'm not a fan of shmups. And, despite that, Dariusburst looks amazing. And no, I don't have it, so I can't really judge your opinion.

2. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #42 GoofyJmaster., Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    I haven't played Dariusburst yet. I have seen it in action through YouTube. I've also played other horizontal shmups.

So, (obviously) what I'm about next can be taken with a grain of salt.

Beat Hazard Ultra doesnn't have to be a full fledged game with next level graphics or a campaign. It's the Super Crate Box of shmups. It uses your music perfectly, has a ton of variety (especially since each song is different), is quite challenging on the last difficulties, and the graphics still look pretty good. Plus, the visualizer effects make it something extraordinary IMO.

Also throw in a ton of ways to play the game and the extensive perk system.

From all the PSP and thread stuff DB seems to be a great looking game that has solid gameplay, which is awesome. I would love to buy DB, but it uses relative touch. It also seems to lack difficulty (correct me if I'm wrong).

You're right! BHU technically may not be the best shmup in the world and may actually feel like a mini game. However, it's fun to no end, has a ton of variety, and the gameplay is limitless.

If I had to choose GOTY tomorrow and my only two options were Shogun: Rise of the Renegade (my favorite vertical shmup) and BHU, I'd easily pick BHU based on my previous (and very short) paragraph.

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Dariusburst does have difficulty levels, and adjustable lives/continues. I can see what you're saying but I still just can't put BHU quite on the same level as Dariusburst. If you just rate them on how well they set out to accomplish what they wanted to be then both are 5 stars, but Dariusburst is just so much more of a game. BHU also has a few flaws such as lack of playlists, control issues, and kind of weak background effects (the foreground stuff is spectacular), while Dariusburst only has one flaw (no screen orientation flip and yeah it's annoying). Obviously it all comes down to opinion and taste (and I can certainly respect that some do not like traditional shmups), but as much as I love BHU and a couple other of the releases this week, they all seem to be on a lower plateau than Dariusburst to me, it just excels in every area, graphics, sound, control, gameplay, variety, etc.

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Beat Hazard Ultra hands down. Your own music + addictive gameplay? Works for me!

5. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    @Royce I can only respect your opinion, especially since I don't have DB. :D

6. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Beat Hazard all the way.

7. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I enjoyed ragdoll blaster 3 but I also enjoyed the tiny bang series..

My vote went to tiny bang series because ragdoll blaster is featured and game of the week and poor litttle tiny story hardly got any publicity and it's a wicked game..

Grooh also looks wicked but I haven't played it yet

8. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Aw man I'm pretty sad that Rebuild didn't make the list, enjoyed the hell out of it too.

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Voted for Dariusburst... Easily sunk in at least 20+ hours since the release... People at work are upset with me, and I'm falling behind in schoolwork... Also only sleeping about 4 hours a night because I reach for my iPad and start up the game every time I get woken up by the dog, or some other noise...

Fantastic game... And the reason I haven't put more than an hour into Blissful Death, a couple hours into Eufloria, about 10 minutes into End Night, only played the first enemy in Raid Leader, and haven't even started up Corpse Party...

LOVE IT!

10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    DariusBurst seemingly came out of nowhere, I had expected people to be talking about Dodonpachi.

11. escapedturkey

escapedturkey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Beat Hazard is the best!

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Not everyone is going to play every game that comes out and maybe that makes the poll a bit misleading. But of the games I played this week BHU has been by far the most addicting ... probably the most addicting game I've played in 2012 so far. That doesn't mean it's GOTY material, but games are played for having fun and, this week, this is the game I've enjoyed the most.

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Had to get Beat Hazard just because of how much people are talking about it... And yeah... Totally a mini game compared to Dariusburst...

HOWEVER... It does have some great visuals... And it made me put music on my device... Something I haven't done since I owned a Nano... So I guess that's gotta count for something... And I can see why people are going nutzo over it... It is a really nice dual stick shooter... With some pretty competitive leader boards, thanks to the popularity of the game... But still Dariusburst, even with the end of game crash on the iPod, has got to be one of the best games I've got in the AppStore... Ever... And I've got tons of dual stick shooters, most of which are better than BHU, and almost always loose their appeal after a week or so (except for a handful of them....) for me... And seeing a different themed shmup (something other than WW themed...) is rare... Much less seeing a shmup that is deserving of a $10+ price tag... Love it... LOVE it...

Anyway... Dunno .where I'm goin with this.... Both are very deserving of a GOTW title... =oP

Cant believe Blissful Death only has 5 votes...

14. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    If Deathsmiles Blissful Death and Dariusburst were $5, I bet that they would do better on this poll AND would do better in the AppStore as well.

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, but Dariusburst is worth $25-$30... And I thought DDP was $5....

And at $5, it'd probably get a whole bunch of negative reviews from people complaining that it's too hard, or wasn't what they thought it was... Or saying that it should have been 99 cents... AppStore reviews are almost always ju, and what sucks is that they influence a LOT of casual and new to the AppStore gamers...

16. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Well, if it was $5, it would get way more sales. Just saying :).

Even if it is worth $25-$30, not many people would buy it. Only a handfull of people would buy it. In the AppStore, unfortunately, it doesn't matter about the value of the game, it matters on the price.

I don't even like shmups and Dariusburst looks amazing. The reason why BHU is in the lead is because its only 99 cents. Dariusburst looks like it beats BHU in almost every category: graphics, fun, music (well, maybe not music), controls, variety, replayibility, etc. But, since BHU is 99 cents, its currently leading the poll and #39 in the AppStore.

If Dariusburst was 99 cents, it would be in the Top 10 for sure AND it would possibly be leading the poll right now. Unfortunately, that's the nature of the AppStore.

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, good thing hardcore shmup fans know the true value of the genre....

18. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Lol, yeah. Well, only the hardcore fans will know the true value of any game they love!

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Well, aside from rpg and strategy fans... They don't really have to pay more than $5 for a top quality title within their favorite genre...

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #60 awp69, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    Honestly, I'm a shmup fan (not so great at them though) and enjoy the handful I have. There's just too many I can't play on a 2G. Otherwise, I'd probably be glowing about Dariusburst one too.

It's not the $.99 price tag that appeals to me as far as Beat Hazard goes or even the music aspect. I kind of like the fact that it sort of blends the typical DSS with a shmup feel. The music is just a bonus that makes it even more fun.

I've picked up plenty of $.99 games that are far from GOTW material. And I've also picked up $10 games that also aren't GOTW material. If they're in the same week, I vote for whatever I've had the most fun playing. That's about it as far as my criteria is concerned - I could like a hardcore game that comes out, but find myself having more fun with a casual game that week. Anyway, especially for the "real" gamers on this forum, I don't think it's necessarily always just because a game is $.99 that it's going to get the most votes. I'm sure Infinity Blade won GOTW.