TA Forums Game of the Week! (08/Feb)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Feb 8, 2012.

?

TA Forums Game of the Week! (08/Feb)

Poll closed Feb 15, 2012.
  1. Beat Hazard Ultra

30.2%
  2. Corpse Party BloodCovered: Repeated Fear

2.3%
  3. DariusBurst SP

17.8%
  4. Diggin' Dogs

4.7%
  5. DoDonPachi Blissful Death

7.8%
  6. End Night (iPad)

1.6%
  7. Eufloria HD

15.5%
  8. Ragdoll Blaster 3

6.2%
  9. Raid Leader

10.1%
  10. The Tiny Bang Story

3.9%
  1. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Lol you mean DodonPachi Blissful Death? Because DoDonPachi Blissful Death is worth $5 right now. I bought it but I feel that Beat Hazard is more enjoyable to me.

2. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #62 GoofyJmaster., Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    I'm also a huge shmup fan, but I doubt I would've picked Dariusburst over Beat Hazard Ultra for the reasons I described earlier. It's as simple as that for me.

I also highly, highly doubt DB has more replayability than BHU.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say DB has less variety than BHU. Even if DB comes out on top in terms if enemies, BHU has to have it beat in terms of enemy pattern variation and the visualizer makes each song different. I'm also assuming tat BHU has more game modes and settings than DB.

I've also played many shmups--both vertical and horizontal--but I burn through them pretty quickly and only play for the campaigns. BHU is one of the few games that makes me care even a little about leaderboards. And as long as I like music, I'll prolly keep playing it.

As far as graphics go, their something that always come in after overall gameplay and being enjoyable. It's clear to everyone that DB has great graphics, but we're all into BHU because of the visualizer. The enemies don't look half bad either. Comparing the graphical design for these two is as 'apples and oranges' as it can get IMO.

Price: DB is definitely worth the $11. I can say that and I haven't even played the game. I have watched quite a few of the YouTube videos and have an overall feel for the game. However, no game is worth more than $15 on this platform, especially if it's a port. My reasons can be found in the "grassroots" thread and the "why iOS gaming isn't taken seriously" thread.

But, obviously, an addictive game at $1 will more than likely beat out one at $11. Especially one as fun as BHU.

The only reason I don't own Dariusburst right now is due to it using relative touch. It doesn't feel quite right for horizontal shmups. Once I get a control pad, this'll be one of the first games I get.

Just my 2 cents.

---------------------

GOTY is a whole 'nother thing. So far my only GOTY consideration is Reckless Racing 2. It's only February.

3. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Sorry, yeah, I meant DoDonPachi, haha. :p

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    It's impressive how many comparisons you want to make between these games when you have never played one of them ;)
    Dariusburst has 4 ships as opposed to 1, 11 stages as opposed to 1 and a much greater variety of enemies.
    If you don't like relative touch, that's fine. I can say however, that Dariusburst is somehow way more playable than any previous horizontal shmup I've played. I actually use my thumb to steer 3 of the 4 ships.
    I definitely think Dariusburst should be a contender for GOTY, and I don't think price tag can hurt it there but the niche genre that it seems shmups have become might...

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I would just like to come in and say that I'm glad Eufloria is getting the number of votes it is. For an iPad only title, that is awesome.

6. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #66 GoofyJmaster., Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    You're right I've never played it, but I have seen the videos for it. I'm pretty sure the YouTube vids are pretty accurate...lol. There's over an hours worth of footage for Dariusburst. I also have experience with many shmups, both vertical and horizontal.

I've been a gamer for quite a while and take pride in what I can say about a game I don't own. I've done it before and I'm usually not that off. Plus, there's mo point in me wasting $11 to prove an opinion.

The variety thing has more to do than enemies as I stated in my last post.

Beat Hazard Ultra Variety

First off, you can buy a second ship for a buck. Also, it doesn't need ships with new abilities because the power ups and music frequency affect your loadout/firepower.

Game Modes
    1. Standard
    2. Survival
    3. Boss Rush
    4. Chill Out

Difficulty Settings
    1. Easy
    2. Normal
    3. Hardcore
    4. Insane
    5. Suicidal

Three Music Avenues
    -Built in music
    -iTunes music
    -Internet radio that has 9 time limits

Extensive Perk System
    -23 perks
    -Most of the perks can be leveled up multiple times. Some up to 9 times

Levels
    -The game doesn't need levels because each song is a new level.
    *I just played Sail by AWOLNATION and it was sick!

Leaderboards
    -11 of them

Achievements
    -43 of them

It also has an unlimited amount of ranks.

It uses the visualizer damn near flawlessly. It also has the vol power ups that take advantage of the built in volume on your device.

It's definitely one hell of a mini game if you ask me!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Are there problems? Yes!

Could things be added? Sure, but we already have a lot now. Everything else will be icing on the cake and IMHO should cost us another buck. (integrated iTunes radio or something like Pandora, maybe new backgrounds, new enemies, more visual effects)

Is this a one man team? Yes!

7. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    IMO. I LIKE BEAT HAZARD ULTRA why? BECAUSE IT'S FUN! sweet, simple,short, and to the point.

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I guess that's all that really needs to be said about your arguments. Before I bow out of this discussion which is quickly becoming silly, I'll just say the following. In terms of variety I definitely give Dariusburst the nod. All Beathazard's modes are quite similar, while the different level paths and ships completely change the playing experience of Dariusburst, and Dariusburst also has 3 different game modes of its own. I will never be removing Dariusburst from my device, and while BHU is awesome, I'm not willing to say the same about it, and I own, and have spemt considerable time enjoying, both ;)

9. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #69 GoofyJmaster., Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    That's fine! It's all subjective anyways, right? I get told that by someone just about every week on here. :)

I typically don't argue about games I don't own. But I have played quite a few shmups in my day, and I've also seen Dariusburst in action.

I also have guessed accurately about plenty of games, which I'm sure is something most hardcore gamers can do. This is why people don't buy every single game available. :D I take pride in my Gamer's Intuition, even though I'm not always right.

Ultimately, what I am/was arguing is variety. Each time you play a new song, it's a new level/experience. I've logged in well over an hour on BHU and stuff is still new (obviously). Add in all the stuff I mentioned and it's a hell of a lot to have fun with. Once you play each level in a game like DB, that's it!

10. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I think Beat Hazard Ultra is a shmup that is very casual. I can leave it on my device, and pick it up from time to time to play while listening one or two music. Each songs become a new experience. I extremely in love with this game and it become one of my favorite games of all folder.

As an iPhone game, the combination of price and gameplay is important. I am positively sure that Dariusburst is fantastic from what I see, but then TAITO's game is always on sale after several months. Perhaps I am a bit cheap, but I will definitely pick up Dariusburst when it goes on sale for $6.99 (my estimation on its lowest price). In the other hand, Beat Hazard Ultra is definitely not 99c (right now is a launch price) because the Mac version is $9.99 - possibly it is $2.99. So, the combination of launch sale price and great game wins me.

For GOTW it is not a matter of 99c price tag, I bought Ragdoll Blaster 3 and I don't even nominate it as GOTW because it is just regular blaster game. It's what stands out for me during a week. So, this week, BHU is my obvious choice for GOTW. Go BHU, hope more people buy and recognize you!!

PS: It's nice to see Dariusburst and Eufloria get so many votes too!

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Just wanted to throw out there with all the squabbling. This is just a fun GOTW poll. Yes, I love Beat Hazard, but I can't say with all definitive purposes that it truly is the best game of the week because I DON'T own all of the games that are nominated each week.

There's probably almost no one who could honestly say they've compared every single game nominated each week (Sanuku and Syntheticvoid are probably the only ones who may come close with as much as they get). But even if we did, it's all subjective.

We tend to buy games we like because that's what we like.

I'll get off my high horse.

...still glad Beat Hazard's in the lead though ;)

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Keep up the voting, folks!

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #73 awp69, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    Interestingly, both Beat Hazard and Dariusburst got 4.5/5 on 148Apps. They're both GOTW worthy. I'd say kudos to both.

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Pinball Arcade isn't in the list? Oh well.

15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    2 1/2 hours to go folks!

16. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    The list is created from nominees done earlier in the week, since the poll can only carry 10 entries. Since Pinball Arcade didn't get the love it needed then, it isn't now.

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Finally refilled my credits and picked up something and it was Beat Hazard Ultra. Damn that game deserves the win! Such an awesome feeling playing a hectic twin-stick shooter while listening to Skrillex!! Also, how's Ragdoll Blaster 3 compared to previous installement?

18. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Beat Hazard Ultra this this week's winner!

New thread up in a bit. :)