TA Forums Game of the Week! (18/Aug)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by triggywiggy, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

TA Forums Game of the Week! (18/Aug)

Poll closed Aug 23, 2011.
  1. iBlast Moki 2 (Godzilab)

38 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. The Train episode 02 (The Moonwalls)

36 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. Conan - Tower of the Elephant (Chillingo)

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. Deo (Strapped to a Meteor

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Rogue Sky (Chillingo)

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. RALLY-X Rumble (NamcoBandai)

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. Pixel Hell (miifan games)

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Startales (Area Effect)

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  9. Fractal Combat (Newtype K.K)

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  10. Bug Heroes Deluxe (Foursaken Media)

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. TheMoonwalls

TheMoonwalls Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    I'm pretty sure that you, or a moderator can check votes, and users who voted.

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Poll is closed congrats to Godzilab, Moleki and iBlast Moki 2. Deserve to have won!

3. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Sorry mate, just that it's a bit suspicious.....

4. TheMoonwalls

Nov 8, 2010
    Thank you triggywiggy for run this contest, and everyone who voted in the poll. And first of all congrats to the winner!

Second place is great too! :)

And BTW, The Train episode 02 is currently featured by Apple under main games N&N, and it's quite popular :)

Cheers,
    Marcin,
    The Moonwalls.

5. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Moonwalls folk were actively calling for votes in the adventure game thread and elsewhere (which is fine), while Moki's developers weren't, but still, I honestly don't think I would have pegged The Train as being viewed anywhere near that highly, at least not compared to iBM.

That said, unless it is revealed that a bunch of 1-post accounts were voting for The Train, it's probably just a case of PR in action. ^_^

6. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Congratulations to these Games/Devs

1. iBlast Moki 2 (Godzilab) 38 votes
    2. The Train episode 02 (The Moonwalls) 36 votes
    3. Deo (Chillingo) 4 votes

Next weeks thread is up. Will be adding NZ releases tomorrow night. enjoy! :D

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=104849

7. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yeh, ummmm maybe we should make it that devs can post for people to vote for their game but not over and over again....?

8. TheMoonwalls

Nov 8, 2010
    I think that PR is the most important thing in success in the AppStore.
    I've seen many great games, which, with lack of a good marketing campaign, disappear in the crowd of medium and poor games.

With great, and well known games (iBlast Moki, Chillingo titles, Gameloft games, Rolando, etc.), it's hard to compete (for us - small indie devs), without a good PR, and straight marketing.

9. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I think the point was more that if you're actively posting in multiple threads specifically pushing for votes for one of these "Game of the Week" polls, and another developer isn't, you're more likely to get votes from people otherwise uninterested in or unaware of the poll who just think, "Sure, why not support this guy," and click without actually caring what they're voting for, and that kind of defeats the purpose.

Perhaps after the final polling opens, the rest of the process should be required to take its course without developer intervention.

10. TheMoonwalls

Nov 8, 2010
    It depends on the point of view.

You can take a look on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheTrainGame

I have 127 fans (most of them are users of TouchArcade - I know this, because they started to click Like It, after I made a topic in TA forums).
    I think that most of them played The Train 01 and 02, and many of them like my games. I asked for votes also on FB.
    So, 36 votes from the poll, are just a little part of the whole fans community :cool:

11. Capsizing Heart

Capsizing Heart Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    Although I'm not really on the Dev and their 'PR' things side here, I honestly think this whole game of the week process is fatally flawed pretty much from the ground up. But I didn't really wanna say to much just in case I get dumped with the responsibility of improving it. But since the poll is for the most part pretty meaningless (but still a great way to find the newest and greatest games) you can take most of the problems with a grain of salt. If this was a truly important poll though, I'd honestly say you'd need a redesign.

12. beefyclyro

beefyclyro Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Its a tricky one ... I see nothing wrong with a dev actively seeking votes from its facebook fan page or its forums it uses. As we know, the app store is soo competitive, how does one get noticed? Especially when you do a poll like this and you stick an indie dev up against big name brands? The small guy will need to actively ask its small percentage of followers to help, it cant rely on reputation alone the same way house hold names can. Maybe you should set some clear rules ahead of the next one. i.e. A dev can ask its followers to vote, otherwise whats the point in putting them up against EA and things like that?

13. Capsizing Heart

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    Rules are great, but how'd you stop or deter Dev's doing it? You'd have to watch them across the internet, making sure they hadn't done anything. In turn treating them like criminals before they've done anything.

14. beefyclyro

beefyclyro Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Hmmm very true ... I dont know, but you cant go accusing people of cheating because they've used their initiative to ask their followers for votes so they can at least stand toe to toe with the big names and compete.

15. zombieaddict

zombieaddict Active Member

Aug 6, 2011
    New Zealand
    i agree with beefyclyro. if a dev wants to push marketing for their app then props to them.

16. Capsizing Heart

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    Although imagine if the big name people did it as well. This already unbalanced, flawed system would break under its own weight,

17. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009