TA Forums Game of the Week! (May 1st)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Echoseven, May 3, 2013.

?

What is your Game of the Week for the week of May 1st?

Poll closed May 9, 2013.
  1. Sorcery!

18.3%
  2. Star Command

18.3%
  3. Zoombies: Animales de la Muerte!

7.3%
  4. Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy

6.1%
  5. Survivalcraft

41.5%
  6. Paper Titans

1.2%
  7. ASCII Shooter

2.4%
  8. Dark Avenger

1.2%
  9. Ninja Striker!

2.4%
  10. Stick Stunt Biker 2

1.2%
  1. Yeah, Midian can hate all he wants about freemiums and endless runners, but there actually are some good ones out there. Whether he would acknowledge it or not, I got no idea. I did buy random heroes 2 and gta vice city today, so at least those will keep me busy for this week.

2. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Personally I don't see much difference with nominating games that you haven't played and nominating games that you have played but haven't necessarily enjoyed. You know you don't have to nominate 5 games, right? And Frost isn't asking you to nominate the games that you've played, just the ones that you've enjoyed and would recommend to others. It's supposed to be about fun, after all. :)

3. Well, frost never stated much of his own practices or exactly what the nominations practice should be. So anyway, we talked about it enough before, but ever since I have participated, I have ALWAYS nominated 5 games and have ALWAYS voted every week.

It used to be cool cause I could look at people's nominations like EP or SV or whoever, and just by the nominations, I could go check out some games that they chose. But kinda no longer cause now hardly anyone except for me dares to nominate 5 games anymore or they will be scrutinized.

Anyway, I know some look to my nominations and votes too cause I too am somewhat a high profile person due to my high activity, so starting from next week, I'm just going to go back to how I have always voted.

And yes, there has been a faction that has always said that this thread should be mostly for fun and as a good way to know what the good releases are. The reality of the situation is that this voting process should never be taken too seriously cause to really know what is the best game, one should have played them all.

I have always believed deep in my heart that participation is key, and of course to have fun is a high priority too.

Anyway, this is my final post on this matter unless someone really wants to drag this on further by quoting or raising the issue again. If anyone missed the conversation, just look at the previous vote to read up on the discussion.

I kinda hope people go back to nominated 5 games like some of then used to, cause it was nice just seeing what people would nominate and all. It's just kinda a shame to see people nominating only one or two game this time around mostly.

If you look at all the posts in this thread, no one other than Midian and I have nominated 5 games. Both of us were on the side last week that said participation and fun were the most important. I sure would like to see some of the people that used to nominate 5 games continue to do so as they have done in the past. I won't bother calling them out, but yeah, I miss the recommends.

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #44 awp69, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
    I agree that the GotW shouldn't be taken too seriously and other than the issues of new accounts throwing the whole poll off for devs that just want bragging rights, I don't really care how people come up with their decisions to nominate. But to suggest that everyone nominate five games just to have five is a bit of a stretch. How could you take those games as "recommendations"? I too look at senior members noms like SV, EP, The Frost, metalcasket and others. But if they started nominating games they thought were crap just to have five games, no one would be able to say they recommend those games.

In fact, I value their opinion more if they only nominated a game or two if they didn't like anything else because then I know they are putting up games they like or would recommend.

Just my opinion.

5. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Zoombies (I never played axe in the face as I had an iPad before an iPhone and am so flipping impressed with this)
    Dead Hungry Diner (waiting staff v zombies)
    Blaster X HD (PUK on barbs)

Spent so long with old games this week just haven't had time to get to Star Command, Eclipse, Leviathan which are all lined up for next week now.
    Also showing my kidz Uridium within iCade on C64 Elite App. It changed my life thirty years ago - it didn't change theirs - they just wanted SurvivalCraft back on.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think it's crazy to vote for a game you haven't played. Bit like voting for a song tou haven't heard or a film you haven't watched. Judges at the oscars watch the films they vote and nominate

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Mk... Gotta add Zoombies to my list... Game is awesome! Been hoping Axe In Face would get updated for the widescreen... But this seems just as great...

8. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    #48 TheEvilRobot, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    I would like to nominate Poop Jump.

9. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I actually prefer the sequel, Wipe It!

10. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #50 Aventador, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
    Actually no, there are many games that just aren't my genre or I must dedicate some time to master them ( time I don't have), I can and will still "admire them from distance", usually read all reviews , watch gameplay videos and inform myself enough to know them in detail ,even though I don't own them.Other problem is obviosly money , I got way over my budget in last few days, must be all that countdown hype to 50 billion app downloads and everyone slashing prices like crazy, from Eclipse to Star Command, couple of discounted games + some Zen tables slashed my planned budged for week.I do want to buy Sorcery ! , and am more than sure I will like it from all previews and videos, but currently I simply can't .I will buy it next week if there isn't anything else that will interest me and my financial situation gets better, but then I won't be able to vote for this awesome game I know will enjoy playing.

11. TheEvilRobot

Apr 4, 2013
    Lol.

12. #52 Connector, May 5, 2013
    I never suggested that people need to nominate 5 games, only that it is sad that the few that I used to look at before, that usually would nominate 5 games, no longer do. That is the saddest thing for me. I enjoyed looking at their nominations in the past.

This vote, ONLY Midian and I and now Syntheticvoid have nominated 5 games. All three of us were the most vocal about this gotw being a thread for fun, participation, and as a learning process to know what the best games are everyweek.

In no way shape or form, am I suggesting that people nominate more. I just find it sad that all the people I used to look for some guidance on what games to buy are now not nominating 5 games, only the three of us so far, the brave ones I suppose. :)

13. TheEvilRobot

Apr 4, 2013
    #53 TheEvilRobot, May 6, 2013
    Hmmm...

14. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    A week too late ;)

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #55 awp69, May 6, 2013
    I guess what I'm saying is that if Syntheticvoid plays 5 games and thinks four of them suck, then I would hope he'd only nominate 1 of those games. It wouldn't be good guidance to have him nominate 5 games if he really only liked one of them.

I enjoy looking at other people's nominations just as much as you do because many have similar tastes. But I wouldn't want them to nominate a game they hated just to make up five games. If people truly don't think there's 5 games worthy of nominating, then I'd much rather have them stick with just those they thought were worthy. Earlier this week even SV only had two nominations. He added some later, but I would rather think, oh, SV likes those two games so I need to take a look at them if I hadn't already. If he nominated three games just to be "brave" and not because he thinks they're worthy, then I might start to wonder about his tastes if there's a really crappy game amongst them (and I'm in no way suggesting that he would do that).

If I trust people's opinions, I see nothing wrong with failing to nominate five games. It's not "guidance" at all if they truly don't like the games they nominate. Doesn't that make sense??

I don't know. Guess I just look at things differently. Like I said there's lots of seniors on these boards who I value their opinions. I don't want to lose that value if they just nominate games to get to five games.

The GoTW thread is and should be fun, but it loses its any value at all if people start nominating really bad games just to nominate "something". How does that possibly make it a "learning process to know what the best games are everyweek"?

SV and MidianGTX, wouldn't you agree? Wouldn't you just nominate games you liked and not ones you hated? Just sayin'. Someone has to come to my defense :(

BTW, Connector, I'm not saying this to slam you. In fact, in threads, you're amongst those whose opinion I value. Just pointing out that I just feel like if there's only one game you like then just nominate that one game. Because otherwise, what's the point?

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I only nominate games I like. I don't care enough about the rest to mention them.

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #57 TheFrost, May 6, 2013
    Too much to quote so... First, I didn't know I am popular here... Second, Connector please don't take me so seriously, and third but not last... All this: :p

I only nominate the games I like. There is no point nominating games you don't like like awp says, or haven't played at all/are only based on impressions. Like Andy says, the games you show your friends. The ones you played the most and like and think they are worthy. But feel free to do what you want to. And also, its nice to see the points of view of a lot of respected members (mostly all of you here and some more) here.

And its up to 5, like 5 is the amount of maximum nominations each of us can give, doesn't have to be necessarily 5 each week... Its pointless to vote games just to fill that gap. For me it has been really slow this past few weeks, by the way. Reaaaally slow. Lucky me I have an awesome back catalog to enjoy.

And SV does what most of us do in this thread: He nominated this one?... Lets give it a second look... Bought... Played and... nominated. That how I found Shiny the Firefly to put a good example, and the most recent one.

I think all has been said already, its becoming a loop, no point continuing...

Poll, please?

18. TheEvilRobot

Apr 4, 2013
    #58 TheEvilRobot, May 6, 2013

I vote for Poop Jump instead. Seriously.

19. rcxdeez

rcxdeez Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2013
    buffalo, ny
    Sorcery
    Eclipse

Can I anti-nominate Star Command?

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    No, because that would be ridiculous.