TA Forums Game of the Week! (May 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Echoseven, May 6, 2012.

?

What is your Game of the Week for the week of May 2nd?

Poll closed May 10, 2012.
  1. Gene Effect

17.3%
  2. LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7

9.4%
  3. THE KING OF FIGHTERS-i 2012.

20.5%
  4. My Little Hero

36.2%
  5. DreamWorks Dragons: TapDragonDrop

0.8%
  6. Brainsss

3.9%
  7. Luxor Evolved HD (Full)

4.7%
  8. Robbery Bob

1.6%
  9. RPG Dragons Odyssey Frane.

1.6%
  10. Tractor Trails

3.9%
  1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'd have to completely agree

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #42 Echoseven, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    Don't overreact. All they've probably done is posted on twitter / etc for others to go and vote for the game on our poll. (Edit: Which they've also done for their other game - the TD one)

The votes will not be counted anyway - because they are against the rules of the thread, for one.

In the meantime, carry on as usual. I keep an eye on things when it comes to the results.

Edit: As for rules for voters - I don't think we should set any explicitly, as it will encourage workarounds, which we do not want. As it stands, I (and Arta) can easily pick out who is cheating the system, so don't worry. :)

3. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Eeeeeeehhh.... I dunno... I'm pretty good at overreacting... I might just go ahead and go on a posting spree around the net; facebook, twitter, YouTube, NCSoft forums, here I come!

GRRRRRRAAAAHHHHH!!!!

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Lol, I won't stop you. Rant away! :p

Just saying that I don't turn a blind eye to this kind of thing, that's all.

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, sorry... Forgot how great you guys are at sorting out messes like this...

And don't think I've said this yet...
    A big THANK YOU for your hard and diligent work! =oD

6. Keeper_LS3D

Keeper_LS3D Member

May 6, 2012
    3D Artist and Managing Director
    Germany
    Yes...it´s a shame but it was me that voted for Gene Effect. I am really sorry!

Was to fast. The voting was up and i didn´t realized or even read that the poll is not for devs.

So...please count Gene Effect -1

Shame on me...but enjoy the game ;)

Marco Windrich
    www.Lightstorm3D.com

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #47 Echoseven, May 8, 2012
    Heh, thanks, but with the last few seeks I've been pretty terrible at it. xP

I have a better plan now! (Partially thanks to Agas~)

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #48 Vovin, May 8, 2012
    But one funny thing about polls like this is that you can easily divide intelligent and scientific interested people like DahakaJR, Echoseven, Exact-Psience, Keeper_LS3D, krautboy, LOLavi, metalcasket, Pitta, Sanuku, sink_or_swim, strivemind, syntheticvoid, TheStark, VirtualBoyFreak & Vovin from bullies like 0-FeliX-0, arta, backtothis, Bloko, D4Gamers, Darkness, Darth Ronfar, dizzydank, DoctaMario, exalep, fffan7777, Fireball926, Hikarumage, Jack-0546, killercow, mooken, RazvanGNR, Rusothil, smegly, stevenc89, Vaceotyn, VicEs... and there are always more bullies than others, hehe...
    ... errr, I mean, it's a shame... :rolleyes: :D

9. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I agree with this too.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Bwahahahaha!!!

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Don't jump the gun. Do we have evidence that it is the devs / NCSoft's fault?
    I trust Echoseven, he will get the things sorted out.

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    haha :p Gene Effect ftw :)

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #53 awp69, May 8, 2012
    Came here to post my vote and was shocked. Just had looked at it yesterday...still having been undecided, having only played My Little Hero (got a promo code).

MLH is a fun little game, but got Gene Effect and IMO there's no competition. Gene Effect is frankly just awesome.

Yesterday there weren't too many votes for MLH so I couldn't believe the amount it had today. There was no question in my mind that somebody brought in "new members" to vote.

Anyway, I like the idea of having to have members that have been here more than a month. (Number of posts is too easy to overcome).

It's just sad. This happened a few weeks ago from what I remember too. I mean, really, it's a fun poll that I like to see mainly because it shows me what other people I interact with on the forum have liked.

But is it really that serious where people need to be "stuffing the ballot box"?

14. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Meh...I guess it's possible -- the mods could probably discern that better than anyone -- but I think the real issue is Gene Effect is $5, whereas MLH is $0.99. I wanted Gene Effect, but I ain't payin' $5 for it. It's probably worth $5, but like most folks, I'm on a budget and I want the most bang for my buck. Most people here probably honestly haven't had a chance to try Gene Effect and ended up voting where their dollar(s) went.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #55 crunc, May 8, 2012
    One vote for MLH has to be taken out, I believe, because it appears to me that Astrand is the developer of the game, given their post in that game's thread, and he/she voted for it.

The last time it happened it was for Gridrunner, which is a great game and yes at least some of the people who voted were newbies because they were lurkers and came out to put in a vote, but still I agree that the voting should be limited to non-new accounts. So basically anything over 1 week (or maybe 2 weeks) old, so that people can't make an account and then vote.

16. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    vote for THE KING OF FIGHTERS-i 2012 and Tractor Trails.

17. miyac

miyac Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Animation Student
    The only game I bought so far this week is LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 so it has my vote. Now I need to buy some of the other games c:

18. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Like awp69 states, there is definitely something fishy about the votes for MLH. I checked about a random dozen or so of the voters for that game and the majority of them were newly registered with few or no posts.

Also, it seems that iPad only games have little or no chance in this vote. Is that true?

19. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Seems so...

I still would like to have seen Ygdrassil added into the list. I know it wouldn't have won, but it deserves to get at least a bit more notice, as Elder Sign: Omens did when it was released.

Board games are very hit and miss as far as people's willingness to buy them. Carcassonne and many of Big Daddy's games seems to do well at bustling up the charts, but when people see a $6 game that they know or see nothing about, and the game being a relatively new IP even in the board game world, it needs all the help it can get.

As for the MLH, it's proof enough there is fradulent stuff going on to some degree. THe problem is that with the number of votes put into the "Game of the week" poll, even a few can skew it severely.

I think one of the biggest issues, and something I believe needs to be corrected, is the lack of promotion the poll gets. I NEVER remember it, and always come late to the party, if at all. It's rarely, if ever, posted on the front TA blog where it should go, and I think it would see a ton more action if it was promoted more.

I almost equate it to the Neilsen ratings, we've got sometimes 10 people that are making a decision on behalf of thousands upon thousands. Now, I know that even promoting it on the front page wouldn't be enough to be a massive impact to participation and I'm sure it would bring more risk of shady practices... but I think the risk is worth the reward the devs, and the site as a whole, would see by getting a more varied group of people interacting with this.

As someone who has moderated forums in the past, it is posible to identify exactly where people are logging in from, it's clear the rules state you can't bring outsiders in and so on... Simply adding on something like having been a TA member for more than a month or two clears that up, unless someone goes through to hack inactive accounts which, again, would raise enough suspiscion to take action.

And one violation I think would serve to see a developer banned from being a part of the poll. That risk alone would probably be enough to either stop them entirely, or be sneaky enough that no one could possibly tell.. and hey, if they'll go to those lengths, so be it!

However, I do think the system needs to change, especially if it's to be taken seriously. Am I making sense?

20. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Pretty much. They make it through the nominations often enough, but I can't imagine there ever being an iPad-only game that came first.
    There was one that came second or third some time ago - it was Incoboto, if I'm not mistaken.

Don't worry about the votes, guys, it will all be sorted out.