TA Forums Game of the Week! (May 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Echoseven, May 6, 2012.

?

What is your Game of the Week for the week of May 2nd?

Poll closed May 10, 2012.
  1. Gene Effect

17.3%
  2. LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7

9.4%
  3. THE KING OF FIGHTERS-i 2012.

20.5%
  4. My Little Hero

36.2%
  5. DreamWorks Dragons: TapDragonDrop

0.8%
  6. Brainsss

3.9%
  7. Luxor Evolved HD (Full)

4.7%
  8. Robbery Bob

1.6%
  9. RPG Dragons Odyssey Frane.

1.6%
  10. Tractor Trails

3.9%
  1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

#61 andsoitgoes, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    I can't find it, but I thought Sword and Sworcery won GotW when its iPad version released in March of last year. And World of Goo - both were iPad only, but I don't know if there was an official or organized system like there is now.

I've tried to search and search and I can't even find the GOTW threads for S&S/World of Goo... but I was SURE they got it.

However, outside of those I have little doubt that it would be nigh impossible for iPad ONLY releases to win. Simply from a numbers perspective, the iPhone/iPod population dwarfs the iPad one to a massive degree.

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    That's kinda the point though - iPad games don't win very often.

As for the not finding the thread - that's my fault these last two or three weeks, I've been slacking off and the threads have been late (but no more). I've also been putting the current link in my signature, but I need to un-clutter it a bit.

I was thinking getting the current week stickied might be a good idea, but I don't have the power and I doubt anyone else (moderators) want to have to sticky/unsticky a thread every week.

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

This is kind of an important one though. It seems clear that the GOTW is what lead up to the GOTY, a really really big thing for TA. Finding a way to ensure that this is up for everyone to see and advertised could bring in that much more of a serious look to TA for a developer and advertiser standpoint. I'm sure the more developers see TA working to increase their visiblity, and proving that by these ways, they may start participating even more than they already do... each and every thing just snowballing into putting TA even further on the gaming map.

TA is a serious site that does things really well, adding a few things to make it look even more professional (making sticky a weekly thread organized with a consistent title, promoted on the main page, etc) can only attract more people.

Especially in this day and age when prospective app buyers need to sift through so much release garabage to find anything good, things like this are the bees knees to helping find the diamonds in the rough...

Okay, I'm rambling! I'll stop now :)

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Well, the thing is - advertising this on the front page would be a bit crazy. The point of these isn't advertising or anything, it's just to see what our community on the Internet thinks is good on a weekly basis.

The more widespread it becomes, the more it stops being 'fun' and starts to become a chore. Especially since the poll is meant for TA members only - and I think all of us are aware of it by now.

A sticky might be nice to make sure the thread isn't lost, but beyond that might take out of the spirit of the whole poll.

5. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    The poll should require members to post rather than select an option on the poll. But that would mean more work for you, Echoseven. You can only go so far before it becomes too much work. I guess we are starting to take it seriously and it is not fun to see strangers, suspected clones come in and put their votes, skewering what we think of as "our" poll.

or else, this poll has to take place in Groups -- where only certain members are allowed in, like members who have been around for a while, or are familiar.

No escaping more work to make the poll more representative of "us" it seems.

/2 cents

6. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Well from my point of view, it works just fine the way it is.

Sure it's open to "abuse" - by bringing outside voters to just vote on the poll, but both Arta and I took that into account. In the end, cheating the system will not pay off.

There aren't many rules, but they are enforced, so just continue to enjoy our little poll as normal and don't stress before results are out!

I'd still like the idea of a sticky though. Not that anyone but me would want to do that every week though.

7. NCsoft

NCsoft Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

First of all, we'd like to thank the Touch Arcade community for nominating My Little Hero for Game of the Week! As NCsoft is still very new to the mobile space, we found this news extremely exciting.

The past couple days have indeed been a roller coaster ride for us over here in Seoul- After hitting the #1 Paid Apps chart over here our team has been working very hard to keep the word spreading on My Little Hero. When we heard the news about Touch Arcade, we told all our friends and family members, along with our SNS channels to go and vote! (of course, we fully respect the rules of the Touch Arcade forums and refrained ourselves from stuffing the ballots with our own votes... It took a lot of restraint not to click that little box) Going against such great titles this week however, we thought that we didn't really have a chance, and found ourselves quite astonished at the overnight turnaround of results, thanks to the fans of My Little Hero.

We fully understand the concerns from the TA community, and respect the rules - if it comes down to removing votes from new users, we fully understand. We just wanted to assure you that we were not trying to rig the competition in any sort of way, and we hope this incident doesn't affect your general impression of the game. A lot of effort and time went into creating this title, from both ACNE Play and NCsoft, and we wouldn't want to tarnish our little hero's reputation whatsoever.

Please feel free to message us or talk on the My Little Hero thread if you have any questions, concerns, or ideas regarding the game. Our eyes and ears are always open to the TA community :)

Thank you, and have a wonderful day!

8. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Don't worry about it - voters that may be against the rules will not be counted, that's all. I'm not going to disqualify the game itself.

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Wait...

Not trying to rig the competition...? And you thought that you could achieve this by getting all of your friends, family members and SNS channels to vote? And you did this because you thought you weren't going to win...? But you respect the TA community? And this is also how you show your respect? By bringing in outside parties to vote on our little GOTW poll...?

Gaaaaaah!! Entire post is a very disappointing read....

10. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    Ok everyone can stop - Echo has it under control so no more need to rag on anyone and be insulting. All devs that had a part in this week's poll feel bad for doing so and will have votes subtracted from their totals.

There used to be a rule that if a dev voted for their own game the game would get disqualified; I dunno if that ever had to happen but maybe that rule gets more enforced from now on. Then even ONE vote by the dev won't be so tempting if the results are the game being removed from the poll all together.

As far as the polls go - they are supposed to be a fun distraction and really have no bearing on anything - Game of the Year included. This happened a while back but things calmed since - but if this poll gets to be too much of an aggravation for mods then it will go away. If the fighting continues that makes more work for us all - Echo who makes them; mods who patrol them; you all for having to read it, etc.

Trying to make new rules for people that have been members for x weeks or y number of posts will only encourage spamming to get post counts higher -- again, more work for mods to clean.

So stop before you ruin something supposedly fun.

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
  12. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Voted for Tractor Trails..........because it is the only game that I have not heard of from that list.

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Really? Origin8... That's kind of a surprise...

14. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    #74 Red1, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
    NCSoft have been disappointing.

Their TouchArcade game thread for "My Little Hero" contains many fake posts from members pretending not to be associated with the game, while they praise it.

And the GOTW poll is also full of fake votes (not friends and family).
    Plus they've had a large number of fake TouchArcade accounts removed historically.

Some people seem to like their hero game, but when a developer acts this way, they don't deserve success. It also reflects badly on the other companies they're working with.

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Although I got a code for the game and it's not a bad game by any means, their actions are difficult to understand. I mean NCSoft is a big company. Maybe not on the iOS yet, but still. I'm sure they'll do well no matter what. It's just not what you'd expect from a "respected" company.

16. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Yeah its a shame that the poll is ruined cause of My Little Hero. Gene Effect and KoF 2012 are both vastly superior games.

17. stimutak

stimutak Member

Apr 27, 2009
    game dev, musician
    NYC
    Well, shenanigans or not,
    I'm sticking with:
    Gene Effect
    FTW!

I did enjoy Origin8's Tractor Trails as well for some polished puzzle action, but couldn't get over the fact that we weren't in space...

18. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    It's not ruined. Illegitimate votes are usually discounted when the results are announced, so something else will win.

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Wow, actually starting to be a close fight between Gene Effect and KoF.

Loving GE!

20. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Wow, been busy for days, check this thread and surprised by the MLH votes.
    It happened once before, and the game is immediately disqualified. Forget which game though.
    Don't have Gene Effect yet since it's iphone only, so my vote goes for KoF. But if Gene Effect is similar to Waking Mars, it should be amazing!