TA Forum's Pick for 2012 Game of the Year! *** LAST CHANCE TO VOTE ***

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by crex, Nov 19, 2012.

?

Vote for 2012 Game of the Year? (Devs dont vote for own game please)

Poll closed Jan 10, 2013.
  1. 10000000

6.0%
  2. Bastion

15.0%
  3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

2.2%
  4. Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour

12.7%
  5. Punch Quest

11.2%
  6. Ravensword: Shadowlands

13.9%
  7. Rayman Jungle Run

5.6%
  8. Swordigo

9.4%
  9. Waking Mars

3.7%
  10. Walking Dead: The Game

13.5%
  1. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    He's a beta tester.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    My FINAL list - in order;

01 - Eufloria HD
    02 - Incoboto
    03 - Bastion
    04 - Autumn Dynasty
    05 - Waking Mars
    06 - Bug Princess 2 Black Label
    07 - Mutant Mudds
    08 - DariusBurst
    09 - Mutant Fridge Mayhem
    10 - Fantasy Chronicle

Woohoo... what some tough decisions... =oP

3. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I'll go over a few of my picks for why they deserve to he the GOTY

Slingshot racing - This game released in the first half of the year featuring a new take on the racing mechanic, it was tons of fun and completely original. Then later in the year they updated it with multiplayer making the game even better giving it the lasting appeal it needed.

Waking Mars - an obvious GOTY contender, this game pretty much took everything cool about Spider: TSoBM and expanded on it. This game took exploring to new hieghts as you delved deeper and deeper into the surface of Mars. Waking Mars is a game about exploring. It's not the typical shoot and kill everything kind of game, it's about developing an ecosystem by moving and throwing around seeds, this spawns diffent types of plants that adapt to and find there place in the inner caves of Mars. Even though this game came out in March it still holds up to anything released after it and that's saying something.

Punch Quest - I've played this game alot... What makes this game so great and addictive? I guess it's the mechanic of punching alternating jabs,uppercuts,and slams that makes it so unique and fun. As you punch your way though hordes of enimies juggling around pieces of there exploded bodies, other objects and then more enimies it makes for a perfect system to make comboes which multiply your points and gives you the insentive to keep playing. Add on the 3 special punches/abilites and the "hat system" and you have a game that's gonna sell well, play well and be Fantastic. Of course there's also the mission system added in to make it more addictive. I also did eventually buy the coin doubler for 2.99 and I can't say that about to many other games. In a year of all the "endless runners" I think this game has pulled it off the best (although its overlooked commonly that it's even in that genre)

Star Warfare Alien Invasion - I may be in the minority here but, when it comes to fps and multiplayer I think this (overlooked and under rated game) has pulled it off with it's simpler and more "chibi" type charters, better than anyone. The game came out in January and is still frequently updated, catering to the players and keeping the thread here active. Although I did loose my account for some reason along with a good bit of money I won't let that incident skew my opinion of the game. Think of it as a Mini- Halo...

Dynamite Jack - il try to keep it short. Not a game that really jumps out at you as the "best game of the year" but a game with simple and unique game mechanics, A nice load of content and most importantly fun. It's kind of like bomberman meets mgs. I acttually haven't finished the game but I do go back to it often And still enjoy it. I'd define it a "solid" game. Def. lived up to expectations.

Blast - A - Away - is another overlooked gem IMO. Featuring probly the best puzzle mechanics for a game ever(or atleast on Ios) Some one said it had mechanics similar to portal and I find that to be a good idea of what the game is about. Although I'd say it's more similar to something like Catapult king or Boom Blox in term of the level based play. It does feature things similar to portal. In a nutshell its about 3 robots throwing balls around trying to free 3 mini guys or "stars" while getting to the goal. The balls blow pieces of the land away,teleport the thrower, changes the color of the land and even binging the land back (that you destroyed). Only fault I'd say is with the camera but not enough to take away from the quality of the game.

Field-Runners 2 - I've never played Field runners nor am I a big TD type fan but this game is almost like whAt halo is to xbox(can't think of the term) I enjoy playing the game trying to figure it out and it's difficulty engages me more than turns me away) Its cool that there's a game that I suck at despite playing video game my entire life. Is still play it everynow and then along with few other TD games. This game is Quality and deserves the praise it gets.

King of Fighters I - I would say is probly the best fighting game on IOS (close to sf4 volt and soul caliber) Its packed with content, has a huge cast of characters and I'd say is as equally fun for beginners and veterans alike. The wifi multiplayer gives it that extra special feature for making it more fun and have more replayabilty. Def a game that stays on your device.

Well that's about it, I already wrote up my huge recommendation for Nihulumbra and these are some of the next best IMO

A few games that deserve to be on a list and may or may not make my final list:

Incoboto
    One Epic Knight
    Swordigo
    Adventure Bar Story
    Star Marine :IA
    Inferno +
    Circadia
    ShellRazer
    Saturday morning Rpg
    Shuffle puck cantina
    Bastion

Could make my list but Don't know if theyre gonna be releases this year so probly not

Star command
    Kingdom Rush sequal
    Year walk
    Prevail

4. Drepik

Drepik Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Come on, guys. Flow Free's a pretty great game.

5. redcoat

redcoat Active Member

Jul 13, 2012
    student
    las vegas
    New York Zombies 2
    Adventure Bar Story
    Skylanders: Cloud Patrol
    Wipeout
    Punch Quest
    Lili
    Knights of Pen & Paper
    Horn
    Dragon Island Blue
    Asphalt 7
    Into the Dead
    Penny Arcade Adventures 3

6. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I went through the "coming tonight" lists, with the knowledge,
    them not to be complete. It's almost a mission impossible to nail
    them down to ten games. Also, due to "just having" an iphone4,
    i was not able to get to know some highly praised jewels from the
    app-store. But, very subjective of course, what still
    stays on my iphone and is played once in a while, also regarding
    the fun and invested time i had, these are my favorits:

...to be continued after the nomination period started...

7. When does the nomination period start?

8. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    After december 20th, when the AppStore closes for the holidays and ends January 2nd

9. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Here's my top 5 nominees for Game of the Year:

Beat Sneak Bandit
    Waking Mars
    Reckless Racing 2
    Rayman Jungle Run
    The Room

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    It actually is. Highly addicting

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Same could be said for just about EVERY game that's been mentioned in this thread....

12. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    A little over 31 hours until the nomination period starts.

13. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    T minus 5 hours.

14. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Can't wait to put my noms in! :)

PS: How do you calculate? Will it be messy? Can whoever who calculates the final standing do a graph sort of thing to see which game ranked the best overall? (For eg, Bastion may get a lot of noms, but maybe it is always listed between No. 4-8. Another game like Lili could get lesser noms, but always feature in the Top 3).

15. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Members will list their top ten games from this year. Every time a game is named, it receives a nomination. The ten games from overall with the most nominations will be subjected to a poll. The one game that receives the most votes in the poll will be the forum's pick for GOTY.

16. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Man, this is going to be tough..

17. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    #157 crex, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    I will begin taking nominations starting..................NOW

Remember, you have until the 3rd of January to get them in.

18. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    #158 DannyTheElite, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    My nominations
    Dream of Pixels
    Asphalt 7
    FIFA 13
    Minigore 2