Tactics Maiden (by Mangobile)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by niebau, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Quite impressive, good AI teamwork. Guess that will up the difficulty a bit all by itself.

2. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mangobile. Designer & Developer
    Germany
    Legendary weapon damage

While doing the final end-game tests right now, I've decided to make a small change to legendary weapons, respectively the holy damage they are based on.

Instead of completely ignoring the defense of units like in Kingturn, the lowest of the 3 defense values (physical, bow, magic) is now used as defense.
    Since most units have a weak spot in their defense, this will still result in very high damage, but it is a little bit less extreme than before.

It also gives the player at least a small means of protection against holy damage. He can boost the lowest defense value of a unit slightly via skill points.

3. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    That's logical. Holy is not as OP as it was as you state. I'm ok with that. I'm assuming it's a late game addition anywho. If you had holy weapons from the start it would seem a little lopsided buuuuuuuttt...I wouldn't mind getting a legendary drop on stage 1 at all :) What is the drop rate % and can enemies drop legendary or just chests?

4. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #84 niebau, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    Legendary weapons are still very powerful and can instantly kill an opponent in many cases.
    The good thing about the new concept is that skills like 'Bulwark' or 'Rend Armor' are not rendered completely useless by legendary weapons, though.

Another change is that magic classes benefit much more from legendary weapons than in Kingturn. Each of these classes has at least one skill with weapon based damage instead of magic damage now.

Almost the same concept like in Kingturn with one minor change:
    There is a tiny chance for normal units to drop legendary items as well.

Here are the numbers:

Standard enemies (non-elite):
    ----------------------------------
    93% gold drop chance
    7% item drop chance

If an item drops, there is a 2% chance for a rare (blue) item.
    The chance for a legendary item drop is 0,1%

Elite enemies (yellow star)
    ----------------------------------
    60% gold drop chance
    40% item drop chance

If an item drops, the chances for special items are:
    Rare (blue): Varies from 9% to 45% for elite units (look for units with unusually high hit points. The higher the hit points compared to the standard version of the unit, the higher the legendary item drop chance).

Legendary (purple): Varies from 2% to 10% for elite units (look for units with unusually high hit points. The higher the hit points compared to the standard version of the unit, the higher the rare item drop chance).

5. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon

So then next question is let's say we fight an elite enemy and get a rare. Can we then replay that mission for a chance at a legendary? Also is there a set on the items that each enemy can drop i.e. an elite could drop let's say a legendary sword or a rare ring or a normal staff only or is it always random no matter what? I guess I'm getting at if I fight an elite in a level and get a rare ring could I then go fight him again and get the staff, then the legendary? I know I probably couldve worded that better but I hope I got my question through.

THanks in advance

6. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #86 niebau, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    So basically you mean an enemy carrying a 'bag of items', and each time you defeat the enemy you get to randomly pick one of the items and remove it from the bag?
    Not really.

First of all, the game doesn't memorize previous loot, and dropped items are indeed completely random (applying the drop rules mentioned above).

Secondly, if you beat a scenario and decide to replay it, you will lose everything you have accomplished during the previous session.
    So the main reason for replaying a scenario after beating it would be imho:
    - If you didn't manage to save some of the neutral units that would have offered their mercenary services otherwise
    - To achieve a higher scenario score

The only way to defeat an elite unit several times and keep all the loot is the aforementioned Retreat / Restart grind.
    While this isn't necessarily the way I would recommend playing the game (at least not during a first playthrough), starting a scenario and retreating after an elite unit was killed is a possible option.
    All freedom to the players :).

7. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Thanks Niebau,

You have answered my questions. I am not a restart kind of guy for loot. I think it would get too grindy and monontenous and wear the game out a little too soon. Albeit I am glad to hear that the option is there for other players as we've stated in previous posts. Either way I'm ready to give this a test drive and lose some of my much needed sleep. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 2 month old and sleep is sparse but getting used to the nightly grind all over again (although my new baby sleeps WAYYYY better than my son did).

Ok I got off topic sorry. Well Niebau is there anything else you want us to question about your decisions :D or give input to before your final tests go through?

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The ghosts suscebtible to only certain types of damage (holy) were some of my favorite villains in Kingturn. Hopefully we see more of that sort.

9. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    The first months are really tough, aren't they? Since my little girl was half a year old, we could mainly solve the sleep problem by making sure she is very well fed in the evening. Quite baffling how much of a difference this makes.

10. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Yes, there are a few monsters in Tactics Maiden that are quite resistant to some damage types.

In general, players will want to pay more attention to which units they are using against a particular opponent.
    Bears, for example, can have a retaliation damage of 100%. So a frontal attack from a close combat unit that doesn't wear plate armor is something that should be considered carefully.

Another example are some of the class abilities (which can also be acquired via equipped rare or legendary items):

- Undead Hunter: 20% more damage vs undead, but 10% less damage versus humans

- Beast Hunter: 20% more damage vs beasts, but 10% less damage vs
    undead

- Man Hunter: 20% more damage vs humans, but 10% less damage vs beasts (beasts = everything that isn't human or undead)

A good way to memorize these rules is thinking of a Paladin and a Ranger:

Paladin (=Undead Hunter) doesn't feel comfortable with the idea of slaughtering humans

Ranger (=Beast Hunter) doesn't cope very well with anything that is not 'natural'

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    *grin* Maybe we are unlucky, but for us the first months were the easiest, despite having to get up and feed the little rugrat every two hours or so.
    Now at almost 3 years he is just old enough to discover that you can at least try bloody hard to stay awake longer, no matter what your parents want ;) record so far: close to midnight.

In other news, the detail level niebau outlines in his last posts (Holy damage, Hunter types) sounds great, huge step forward from Kingturn.

12. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Undead Hunter? Sign me up! Wait... the undead in Kingturn were often on your side... please have necromancers...

@aconfusedkinder - the second kid is tough, it's like 10x more work but once they get older and start playing with one another that's more satisfying (they occupy one another).

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Not sure how much I can comment publically but the early version of Tactics Maiden is amazing.

Can anyone help me? The Tactics Maiden beta is taking up all my time... my wife wants to leave me, my kids now call the television "dad," and my boss is suspicious of my reduced "productivity."

14. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    I can't thank you guys enough for the countless hours of play testing and the incredible amount of high quality feedback in our beta test social group.

It is an honor and a privilege for me working together with you, and should Tactics Maiden indeed turn out to be 'amazing', then it is certainly thanks to the countless changes based on your suggestions.

Feel free to talk openly about everything we are doing in the beta test social group.

15. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Honestly I think we're just doing what we can to delay the release of Tactics Maiden... the world is not ready for it.

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Have to add my 5 cents too, of course:
    I'm also part of the betatesting group, and I'm seriously impressed with how polished the game already was before we started, how involved with the testing niebau is as developer, and how much he listens to feedback and hammers our ramblings into improvements for the game.

I'm not digging up the changelogs now, but so far we have had changes in (among others)
    - UI (lots of detail tweaking)
    - Difficulty ; lots of finetuning
    - Gameplay ; some minor, some huge (like completely throwing out the unit training that was a staple for Kingturn and earlier)
    - Ingame dialogues
    - Unit abilities
    - enemy AI

It's a joy to help a developer who is as dedicated as niebau out a bit. Not to mention we got to play a great game a lot earlier ;)

17. joew

joew Active Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Producer & Engineer @ Creoterra
    Toronto, Canada
    This looks great! I'll definitely be picking this up on release :)

18. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    One of the most outstanding things about the early edition of Tactics Maiden is the attention to enemy artifical intelligence, the system seems really sophisticated making smart moves to counter my plays... definitely an accomplishment in mobile gaming as far as smart artifical intelligence goes. The levels are open open with numerous possible moves/strategies but leave it to the computer to somehow out-think me time and again.

19. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I don't think I can say how publically but Tactics Maiden just got a whole lot better; you people will want to keep an eye on it's launch in a few weeks.

20. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Launch?