Universal Tales of the Adventure Company (by Eric Farraro)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 4, 2014.

1. submariner

submariner Member

May 7, 2014
    What a gem indeed! The artstyle and 'Slothwerks' icon sold me :3
    I just finished the first world after a few failed attempts.

I don't have a problem with the enemy attacking after reaching 0 health. The game would be to easy if enemies couldn't attack anymore with 0hp. But like Jerutix suggested if the enemy attacks first this mechanic probably wouldn't feel 'unfair'.
    There seems to be a minor graphical glitch in the second world. The smoke sometimes disappears for a few seconds on the bottom row of the playfield (I'm playing on an iphone 4s).

Hats off to you slothwerks great werk!

2. submariner

submariner Member

May 7, 2014
    #82 submariner, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    double post, sorry!

3. Estrica

Estrica Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2012
    #83 Estrica, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    image: Don't really remember how it happened (the image I attached), I think when I died on the 2nd quest. Killing and restarting the app helped.

Love the game, great art, good mechanism, nice balance. Absolutely nice sub-quests and rewards. Great game!

4. simplemindead

simplemindead Active Member

Apr 26, 2013
    So v1.1 might be submitted as early as Monday! Which means we could see the update with new content before the end of the month. If it's a synced update, Android players, and I'm guessing Windows Phone players—however many there are ;)—as well will have to wait and won't be getting it sooner. Even then, I wasn't expecting the update until next month.

Brief summary of what 1.1 includes, if you're not up to speed. Spoilered for those wanting to be surprised.
    -Episode 6: Lost at Sea
    -Kraken as the boss
    -New monsters such as the Diver
    -New heroes: Sailor, Pirate
    -Potions added to the game (they're like power-ups)
    -Bug fixes

5. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

#85 slothwerks, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    Yep, that's right - thanks @simplemindead!

Planning to submit Monday if testing goes well today. I left myself a little buffer to fix a few issues people reported, and to figure out any issues with the localization and submission process related to that. So far though, I think things are looking pretty good. Android should be live Monday, and iOS/Windows Phone will take a couple days due to the submission process.

Once 1.1 is submitted, which adds the items @simplemindead listed above, I'll probably take a couple days to get the web version up to par with the mobile one (mainly just testing to make sure it works). Once that's complete, I'll be working on 1.2, which (so far), will add an additional episode.

Thanks for the support so far!

BTW, for devs in the room, I plan to post some sales numbers / post-mortem in about 30 days. I'll discuss the development cycle (2 months), the social media/marketing efforts (1 month), the localization process, and how Adventure Company has performed on each of the four markets (Windows Phone, Amazon, Google Play, iOS). Spoiler alert: iOS is still killing it, though the other platforms combined are responsible for a significant and respectable portion of the overall revenue thus far.

6. gquiller

gquiller Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    @slothwerks

Is there a way without much trouble, to add the ability for the game to rotate when you flip your iPad/iPhone. There are times when I'm charging and I have to turn it around...

Just a thought... Thanks for the fun game!

7. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Which rewards do you get for finishing the subquests??

8. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

@gquiller: Can take a look, though I may wait until the 1.2 update since I'm trying not to make any more changes that might impact the 1.1 release.

@Alex Wolf: Are you referring to the quest 'achievements' or the ones on each level of the dungeon? Completing the former gives you bonuses like starting with extra heroes, +health, etc... The latter -- rescuing heroes causes that hero to join the party. There currently aren't any bonuses for defeating all the enemies in a group, though perhaps in the future I'll add something, to make it more satisfying.

9. gquiller

gquiller Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Please wait as it's very minor!!!!

10. simplemindead

Apr 26, 2013
    There is currently a benefit to, actually necessitates, doing all the quests on all floors: leaderboards. The bulk of your score is from completed quests so competitive players looking to rank high will need to "catch 'em all!".

11. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Just completed the game on the way back from work today. Made me sad :( need the update with new levels to come out soooon!!!!!

12. simplemindead

Apr 26, 2013
    Congrats!

Oh, but the update is out my friend. At least for Android. :) It's pretty sweet! I'll spoiler my comments to prevent ruining any surprises.

A couple of potions were added with v1.1 and boy will you need them! First though, each level now spawns with 2(no more, no less) random potions. So for players that wanted more exploration in the game, the addition of potions is a means to further that end. I suspect even more potions will be added in future updates.

The difficulty scales up decently as you progress and I'm quite happy with the continued incline with episode 6. I died a bunch of times before I was able to clear episode 6. I suggest having the Pirate and Adventurer in your party, or obtainable on the first floor. Unlocking all of the achievements also helps. :D

13. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Vote for TotAC as Game of the Week!

Link

14. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Quick update! Submitted on Sunday, but learned about a bug from the Android launch of 1.1 (Android launches instantly, no approval process), so I'll have to pull that back. The good news is that the iOS launch should hopefully be smoother, since it will have a critical bug fix that caused some really bad issues for Chinese, Korean, and Japanese users (related to the localization).

I plan to submit again tonight with the bug fix and hopefully the update should be available early next week.

Here's the announcement graphic I added on Twitter

[​IMG]

And yeah @simplemindead, more potions are definitely coming. I mainly wanted to get this update out, since it was already a big one with all the required changes for localizations. My goal for future updates is to a) add more episodes and b) add stuff that's enjoyable for players (like potions), even if they haven't completed all the levels yet.

15. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Looks awesome! I especially like the part about not getting bugs. Just in time, too, because I should be totally done with all episodes and quests at the end of the day (not a huge leaderboard chaser).

I have a question. It seems like when I commit suicide with a hero, their special ability doesn't work (ie, I suicide with the Knight and the enemies attack does not drop by 1). Is that intentional? I expect it to happen, but we may just have a different vision on that.

16. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

To be honest, I never clearly defined what the behavior should be in this case, and I guess the logic worked out that the ability doesn't apply. I do agree though that things would be less confusing/more satisfying if the ability did apply, so I'll see if I can address this in the next update (1.2+)

17. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

I resubmitted the iOS update last night, so hopefully we should see that early next week!

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Update is live!

19. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    #99 Jerutix, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Really enjoying the update! I love the new characters, and the new enemies are super tough. Thank goodness for potions!

Still having the same issues with Game Center. I need to go look at that thread you posted the other day. (Edit: It's not popping up the achievements screen anymore [it hadn't for a while anyway]. But it also isn't logging into Game Center at all without me tapping the leaderboard or achievement button in game. Also, it did not retroactively award achievements. Let me know if there is anything I can send or check to help you figure it out. Maybe it will just affect those of us who had 1.0?)

Keep it up! Can't wait for more episodes.

Oh, and I gifted this to my Dad for Father's Day, so hopefully he's enjoying it now, too!

20. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

The retroactively awarding achievements thing was working, but I ran into some problems on Android with the way I was doing it, that made the game unplayable (possibly because I was trying to award too many achievements at launch, which would impact low end devices) I was afraid the same issue might affect iPhone as well, so I need to spend some more time figuring out a more efficient way to do it. Rest assured though, still working on it :)

Thanks for sharing it with your dad as well -- hope he enjoys!