Universal Tales of the Adventuring Company - Puzzle/RPG/Roguelite

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by slothwerks, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcredonk

bcredonk Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Those look great!

2. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Quick note to everyone who was interested in a build; just sent out the latest iOS build, which contains a few additional fixes, as compared to the web version.

I'd love to accept even more testers, so if you've tried the web version (or even if you haven't) and would like an iOS/Android build, just get back to me with your Testflight ID (for Android builds, an email is fine)

3. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Worked on a trailer this morning, shown below. Planning to release ~June, shouldn't be long now!

Also, I don't know all the details yet, but I believe Kepa (or Rocketcat Games) will be streaming some gameplay this afternoon. I'll be around as well.

4. bcredonk

bcredonk Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Looks awesome, 10 adventurers and thirty enemies!

5. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    This game looks incredible, is this a one man project? I'll check out the desktop version tomorrow and give you my feedback so far!

Looks a fab game!

6. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Yep, just me :) I did the art, development and design. Sounds are Unity store assets, music is from the amazing Kevin MacLeod of incompetech http://incompetech.com/. Glad you like it! Looking forward to your feedback :)

7. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Saw this today when Kepa played on Twitch. This looks amazing! Definitely a day one purchase for me.

8. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Glad you enjoyed the stream! I had a lot of fun chatting with the other developers as well. First time I ever got to do anything like that.

9. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    I'm so looking forward to this one!

10. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Glad to hear it :D

Quick note on the status, to the testers: new build in a few days should have the fourth and fifty (currently, final) episode. The last piece I'm working on is the save/resume status in the case of receiving a phone call or the like.

After that, I'll have a feature-freeze and focus solely on bug fixes/balance changes.

Can't wait to share the final release with everyone!

EDIT: If any TA writers/press read this thread, I now have a press page for the game as well:
    http://slothwerks.tumblr.com/press

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Very cute, I like how he's combined the best of Desktop Dungeon with the age old Battleship game to create something entirely new!

You not only need to manage the order you uncover tiles, but who you have in charge of the party as you uncover and combat the revealed baddies.

Question: Once I have rescued the party member and found the key is there any point to continuing to fight remaining baddies on a level?

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You are penalized for continued fighting because there are only a limited number of turns to get to the "bottom" of the dungeon so persisting in exploration after finding the key will cut down your move count. Tales of Adventuring Company has a really novel spin on roguelikes.

13. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Thanks!

Yeah, there's no reason to really continue exploring right now, since TotAC doesn't have experience/items. Other people have asked this before though, so I'm working on ways to better communicate this to the user visually.

14. simplemindead

simplemindead Active Member

Apr 26, 2013
    You do have to keep an eye on the remaining moves you have left, but there are a few reasons that justifies further exploration after obtaining the key. If your party is low on HP and you can spare the turns necessary, it may be more advantageous to find/use the campfire, on an explored floor where you don't need to engage any further discovered enemies; versus the risks exploring a new floor. If the floor contains a hero that hasn't been rescued, this is another reason to remain on the current floor.

As for actual enemy engagement, I've done this to sacrifice my Paladin to heal my party. As well as progressing in the unlock quests that give permanent bonuses. And if items are added, then that'll be another layer of strategy added and make the game less of a dash to the last level.

15. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Good point -- yeah, there are some nuances to exploration, where it does sometimes make sense to stick around, especially if you haven't found the hero on that floor. And yes, I do plan to add items, though it will probably be as an update. The balance is kinda sensitive, and I want to allow some more time for that.

Sent out a new iOS build to all the testers that accepted my Testflight invite. I think a few people still need to accept, so if you requested an invite but haven't accepted my invite yet, please do, and I'll get you the build ASAP!

Quick preview of some of my more favorite sprites from Episode V (forest themed level):

[​IMG]

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Wow, that game looks really good! I am seriously interested here and will sure snag it from the store when available!

But did I read correctly? I may have missed it, but there was a "build a rogue-like in 7 days" competition?
    Does this mean we're flodded with rogue-likes soon?
    This would be VERY good news.
    I mean, that Flappy storm is (mostly) over and I really wasn't interested in that type of game, but a flood of good rogue-likes sounds more than exciting!

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This is a bizarre little "competition" that has been going on for years and MANY of our now beloved roguelites spawned from:

http://7drl.org/

18. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Yep @Vovin. I believe 868-Hack and Hoplite also originated from the 7DRL competition as well. More recently, Power Grounds that launched on iOS was also one of the best entries.

Obviously, more traditional rogues are trickier to port to mobile, but hopefully there will be a couple more.

19. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Just a quick update on release schedule.

The game is pretty much feature complete, and I'm focused on testing/bug fixes at this point. I'm hoping to ramp up press/media efforts next week, to hopefully bring some visibility to the upcoming launch. I'd like to get the iOS/Android versions out in early June, and Windows Phone a bit earlier. Why Windows Phone? Smaller test market to help catch any major issues, and there's no platform specific code (as is required for Android/iOS) that would require additional testing effort (Google Play and Game Center, respectively)

With that in mind, here's what I'm thinking:

May 14 (Wednesday) Submit to Windows Store for approval
    May 22 (Thursday) Go-live date for Windows Phone
    May 23 (Monday): Submit to iOS store for approval
    June 5 (Thursday): Go-live for iOS/Android (assuming iOS is approved)

Also, June 5th is my birthday, so that's a friggin awesome way to celebrate :D

All of this is subject to change, but that's a rough idea of what I'm thinking. The time between now and June will be spent cleaning up all the rough edges that still remain and preparing media materials/app store submissions. I may also get a head-start on the first content update if things are looking good.

I'm super excited!

20. jamescam

jamescam Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I will definitely pick this up on Windows Phone! Very excited to try it out after playing the web version. Best of luck to you!