TA's new look

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by killercow, Sep 3, 2013.

1. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I really like it, nice upgrade.

2. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    As long as there is a simple way to see newest releases with and without discussions I am happy. Is there?

Thats the main reason I visit on wednesdays is to get the fast overview. :)

The rest looks nice, I suppose I could get used to it.

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #23 Nullzone, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    The orangeish topbar looks nice, and I like the better readibility with the larger fonts used.

What I miss are these forum categories on the frontpage:
    - upcoming iPhone games
    - upcoming iPad games
    - Public Developers forum

Especially the two "upcoming" categories were extremely important, I found many gems there. Plus, it often gives a chance to talk with the developers before release, which I consider absolutely important.

"Hot Games" and "Latest Reviews" can go to some extra page, I never look at those anyways, and now they
    a) take up way too much space
    b) are right on top of the page, where the newest forums posts should be (as it was before)

Even more so for the "Promo Codes" subsection. Put that on an extra page with the above two, easily accessible via a Link in the top bar (or wherever it fits best).

The "Categories" section could go there as well. Do you really need to list every category with 2-4 entries only right on the frontpage? Top 10 or 20, sure. But all of them? Many forums and sites have those on an extra page once they get too many. A tagcloud is also a great visual way to display something like this. Combine it with a heatmap, and you are doing something great: word size from the tagcloud to show how many entries are per category; coloring from the heatmap to indicate when a category was last updated, e.g. with a new entry added.

Question: Would it be a problem/difficult to keep both frontpage layouts for a while? Let people choose which one they want, and after a month or two look at the numbers which page gets hit more often consistently. E.g. "first landing" hits that automatically give you the default layout need to be removed from the statistics.

If you want to go all-out, let logged in users pick what they want to see on their personal landing page.
    If someone is completely gung-ho about promo codes: no problem, add that section.
    You prefer the closed Developer forum? Add that one instead.

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Really liking the design. Been waiting for TA to make the site more like the app for a while. It has a much more modern feel to it now. Regarding releases, the entire bar for hot new games changes the moment games are out on Tuesday nights in the US. All the games people care about fill up the first 5-10 spots. Otherwise, I just change the forum filter to "thread start time" to check out all the new release threads.

5. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

I think I like it but that "Runner 2" logo is really throwing off the look right now. It's the first thing I see. :p

Also on the front page I'd ditch the "Recent Stories" text.

6. crazychimp

crazychimp Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I like the new look but totally agree with Der-Kleine, once these changes have been made it will be great.

7. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I completely missed the fact that the upcomming games sections were missing on the main page. Those definitely should be put back there.

8. SyKot

SyKot Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    It also seems that some images and videos go have no margin in content, making them "touching" the background which looks weird.

9. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Whenever I try to go to the front page on my iPhone, I get a popup stating that "faketoucharcade.com" needs authentication, and it asks for login credentials.

10. kalel39

kalel39 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I like the old look better. I like looking at the right-side iPhone/iPod Touch game section and seeing which topics people were talking about.

This new look seems like the font is bigger and to compensate for a bigger font, items were discarded.

Luckily this new design hasn't transferred over to the Forum yet (and hopefully it won't).

11. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    The supersmall (with no option to expand) new releases (for ipad and iphone) is a major downgrade for me.... its the main reason I come to the site

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
  13. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

That's the newest releases. Not the newest Threads on the forums that was previously on the main page. It was handy to know what was out on Wednesday night!

14. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

That's one of the main problems I have with the new design as well.

15. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    What happened to my favorite website I am screaming with disappointment, I visited the website 3 to 4 times a day for the section on the right everybody is talking about. Hope it will be back soon.

16. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    this should be fixed.

arn

17. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #37 mr.Ugly, Sep 3, 2013
    well my biggest problem is probably that everything got inflated size wise.

on ipad the first look at the page feels like a wall of ads

http://i43.tinypic.com/331hhrb.jpg

you see some actual content lurking at the bottom , but well oh well thats an odd first impression..

the old design has more than aged.. but the general size of elements where alot better and it felt clearer

sadly i dont have screenies from the old page, else one could compare better.

edit: tried the wayback archive but the results are not perfect, apparently some parts of the age are missing but shosw the big size differences

http://i44.tinypic.com/2s6xcie.jpg

18. Creat1v

Creat1v Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I like the new look. It might take a while to get used to it, but I'm pretty stunned! Goob job TA!

19. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Imo the previous ''forum'' right area was so practical (the number of the posts, the more/fewer button, the upcoming areas) that was much faster to navigate trough the stuff that was important for me...
    I think the TA community is something unique among the iOS sites so maybe you have to give back again a strong presence for the forum area in the front page.
    Other wise the new design is fresh, modern and stands nice in terms of visibility!

20. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    #40 Happybyte, Sep 3, 2013
    Strange an inconvenient concept to have pics above headlines - my eyes burn.

Nice look otherwise.

The only thing I'd fix is the placement of pics and videos so they won't cause confusion.