TD games : Current state of affairs

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sceneshifter, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Sceneshifter

Sceneshifter Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Wile I did love DesktopTD, I'm certainly not going to purchase it for my ipod touch :)

I have only found a 'lite' version og geodefense, it is indeed pretty great! Still not convinced however (the demo is rather easy). This is not easy!

Keep your feedback coming, I'm finding new games here thanks to this thread

2. jmarquiso

jmarquiso Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I know people love it... but someone explain to me 7 Cities.

It's another on my list, but it's been pretty high priced until recently. What sets it apart from other TD games? What's the fun value?

I'm not asking because I'm diminishing the game, I just don't know.

-John

3. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Star Defense for one reason: expandability.

not only does it have amazing graphics, natural controls, and is an overall amazing end product, but the announcement of new galaxies for purchase is great. I know this game isn't leaving my iphone any time soon because its replay value is great. I would be willing to drop another $10 for a few new galaxies and towers since the gameplay is so great.

4. Elysium

Elysium Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    That's great if you love the game, but it seems like many are finding it rather bland, and if they find it bland the value of expanding upon it is greatly diminished.

Besides, for the price of Star Defense, you could buy another TD game, play it until you're bored, then "expand" to another TD game, and then "expand" to another for the same price, and then continue to a new game for each expansion Star Defense brings out.

5. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Why? It is the best at what it does. No point in getting any other open field TD on offer, when this is coming out, unless it offers something extra like Zombie Attack. Just my opinion:)

6. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    just thought i'd point out that i did mention besiegement in my previous post :)

And i for one would happily buy DTD :) (obviously provided its not priced ridiculously)

7. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    You are correct. That's what happens with threads...a lot of good stuff gets thrown to the side :eek:

8. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    lol i know and usually ignore it but because its in my signature thought i better point it out :)

9. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

the best two i have played are:

Geodefense - challenging, lots of levels and looks AMAZING!!!!

Defender Chronicles - Quite different, looks good and tonnes of replay value

10. Sceneshifter

Jun 10, 2009
    I certainly saw and looking at that game too now. No lite version though afaik

11. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    if you like tds you will like Besiegement - graphics are nice now (were originally a bit rough) lots of levels of both types fixed and free, good number of towers and upgrades
    fast forward ...an essential :)

definately worth 99c of anyones money - many games have come and gone on my phone - this remains

oh and there are still updates due out soon

12. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Defender Chronicles brings the most new ideas to the table IMO, its cheap now, I'd pick it up for sure.

13. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Another vote for GeoDefense. The graphics are great. You may not be convinced by lite version but the more you play it the more you like this game. Since you mentione desktop tower defense, Fieldrunners is an obvious choice.

And i personally didnt like 7 cities that much either.

14. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Defender Chronicles, Fieldrunners, and Sentinel in order of the top 3 TD's out there.

15. deckard

deckard Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Haha yes well too broad of a statement sure but to me there's no doubt Sentinel was influenced by Fieldrunners, even the way it was released (lacking in content then gobs of it added later with updates). Personally I think Sentinel is great, just as good as Fieldrunners or any other. I'm not really making distinctions anymore between open field and closed path TD's as there's just too damn many TD's and both styles are similar; like 'em both just the same.

Besiegement doesn't often make lists like this except for honrable mentions simply because it's not very coherent, kind of an 'everything and the kitchen sink' TD. Great if you want gobs of content but not as slick production-wise as Fieldrunners, Sentinel, 7 Cities, Sweetwater etc.

16. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I agree with dashzed. 7 Cities had boring graphics (polished sort of bland), repetitive maps, only a couple of towers, and just boring gameplay. It was my first TD but I thankfully took a risk with the Creeps and loved it. I would say that if you already love TDs then don't get the Creeps because that's more of an introduction. I would go for Star Defense. Best graphics, best game mechanic (sphere idea is brilliant), and best balance of enemies and towers. Ignore the negativity because it's only from the people who went with the hype and weren't meant to buy the game in the first place. Sometimes games just get too popular lol.

17. Sceneshifter

Jun 10, 2009
    Fantastic feedback here on this board, can't believe I posted this just yesterday :)

I have looked at all the games you mentionned, and wow do some of them look crazy awesome!

I have geodefense lite (is the only lite one I could find), and I certainly like it but it's a little bit simple, I was expecting it to be have very complicated tower upgrades/combos. But still, it's very nice and I might go for that one.

However, one important aspect for me is the replay value. Which one would be the better one on this aspect?

-Fieldrunners
    -Besiegement
    -Sentinel (looks wicked good, imo)
    -Star Defense (it would have free added content I understood? But it sees rather easy for the moment also)

Fixed or free path is not an issue for me, sometimes free path ends up being fixed path anyhow.

Was about to purchase a couple of the above last evening, but the store was out of itunes cards! Argh. So please reply so I have something interesting to read today at work :D:eek:

18. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Besiegement and Sentinel would be my picks. They're actually both in my top 5.

For strict replay and tons of levels, Besiegement.

19. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    GeoDefense has such a reputation for difficulty only due to the fact that Hardcore mode is set to default, some people don't realise you can change it to a manageable difficulty by tapping "Hardcore" in settings.

20. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I couldn't agree more with you in regards to owning multiple TD games. I have 1 1/2 pages dedicated to TD games. By owning several TD games I get more variety and the more variety means a fresh experience every time I play. Granted some games overlap in terms of the TD concept, but the developers have done a decent to good job at keeping them unique. The flexibility of the idevice and the accesibility of apps affords you the chance to get your feet wet in all sorts of apps/games. Don't limit yourself to just one game, try several. Just playing one would eventually get boring. But playing many at once keeps your enthusiasm going.