Universal Team Awesome - (by Ezone)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 28, 2012.

1. ezone

ezone Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Game Developer @ Ezone.com
    Perth, Australia
    There's no end to the level, but the blue crystals become less frequent, so eventually the level ends.

2. ezone

ezone Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    ...totally worth it - Jon St John is great to work with.

3. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    This game is pretty awesome.

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'm actually starting to enjoy this game more. Might have been a little too harsh earlier even though I still think the upgrades, etc., come a bit slow and kind of feel freemium-ish.

The levels themselves are really diverse and a lot of fun. Just a little too easy to run out of "awesomeness". Lower the upgrade costs, get rid of having to pay coins for each level unlocked and slow down the awesome loss and I'd be pretty happy.

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So... after playing more... I'm going the opposite way of AWP. Initially, I enjoyed this one, but the more I play, the more it disappoints me. The shop prices are way too high, being able to buy your way up the leaderboards is a HUGE turn-off... the whole freemium model with a pay for entry is also something I really don't like (I doubt many do)...

I'll be incredibly surprised if this doesn't go completely freemium very soon.

I guess I was just hoping for more coming from the devs of Diversion. It's a shame this is what had to come after such a fantastic game.

6. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    It's funny you'd post this...

I was quietly thinking the same thing. I admittedly held off after seeing the video, with the thought that there must be more to the game...

And then I went and fired up Crazy Snowboard and remembered that a significant portion of the unlockables are hidden behind a real world money IAP pay-wall...

I hate being negative, but when being pragmatic and realistic coincidentally ends up being negative...

Meh, whaddayagonnado?:rolleyes:

I do like the concept, the visuals and the voice work...

DBC

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #47 awp69, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    I definitely still agree that the game still feels freemium and the upgrade prices are too high (kinda was still saying that in my last post). Guess I was just so turned off by that at first that I really didn't look at the gameplay.

After my initial reaction, just put aside the upgrades and focused more on the gameplay itself. It's fun, but still is frustrating not so much in the upgrade costs but in how short your gameplay can be without getting enough blue gems.

I think it's a clever game. I like the different environments and changes in goals for each chapter. Just needs some major adjusting in "awesome" drain as well as upgrade prices.

If that isn't done, then I'm in agreement that it will go freemium and probably should have started that way.

I'd like to hear the devs feelings on it. Perhaps they can salvage it if they respond to our concerns.

8. Timmy DX

Timmy DX Member

Nov 27, 2012
    So i played a whole lot of this the past 2 days and what i at first thought was an awesome game turns out not to be so awesome at all..
    First the good: controls are great, voice overs are cool...
    The bad: as mentioned earlier the upgrade prices are way to high and even if they weren't, the upgrades aren't that interesting to begin with.
    Then there is the awesome drain that just completely ruins the game for me, it drains way too fast and because of that the only thing you're doing all the time is hunting for blue gems and spending gold to buy those overpriced can-o-awesome's to be able to get the level goals . Im not saying this game is unsavable but serious work needs to be done, because in it's current form its just no fun.

9. ezone

ezone Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for taking the time to post your comments - sounds like we needed you guys in the beta! We are working on an update right now, and if you've got the time to help us out we would really appreciate having you on our test team. Here is the TestFlight link:

http://tflig.ht/Pffr1v

The good news is that it sounds like we can address your issues with the game. The biggest problem when you've been working / testing a game for so long is that you become pretty proficient at it, which makes it tricky to judge the difficulty! (especially for players new to the game). The way we came up with the goal numbers was to make sure we could achieve them without using a can-o-awesome - looks like we need to revisit that!

We are going to work on tweaking the awesonium drain and upgrade prices. Any suggestions on what you think would be fair for pricing, etc?

@syntheticvoid - can you explain a bit more how you can buy your way up the leaderboards? We were pretty careful to make sure you couldn't just buy to get a big score. That's why we limited it to a max of one can-o-awesome per run.

10. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I signed up if you need another tester

11. ezone

ezone Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks - we'll get you set-up for the next build. Cheers!

12. ezone

ezone Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Keep it coming!

It will help us make the "not-so-awesome" bits awesome,
    and the awesome bits more awesome!

13. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=168149][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168121][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168128][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168133][​IMG][/thread] [thread=167866][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=168158][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168119][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168143][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168395][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168113][​IMG][/thread]
    Click on icons to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]TEAM AWESOME[/size]
    is a nominee for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    28/11/2012
    [/size]

Do you like this explosive new side-scrolling arcade game from the Edis Brothers Team Awesome?

[size=+3][thread=168267]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]
    - Devs cannot vote for their own games -

Poll close
    12-06-2012 at 07:13 PM

14. ezone

ezone Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    #54 ezone, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    We've been working on the update and we think you are going to like it. Here's what's coming in v1.0.2:

- you start with higher awesonium on every level (so each level lasts longer!)
    - tweaked episode goals
    - removed requirement to buy episodes when you reach that equivalent level
    - you'll earn more coins, and level bonuses can be spent on whatever, so you'll unlock everything more quickly

...and for everyone that gets the game before the next update (1.0.2) you will be getting a VERY AWESOME in-game bonus (you are really going to like it).

Thanks everyone for posting your comments and helping us to improve the game.

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Just an FYI. Update is out. Definitely makes the game more enjoyable with the slower pace of losing your "awesome". And the big bonus for early adoptors really allows for some upgrades.

I like the game more now, but for some reason still get a feeling that it's missing something. Still worthy of trying out again, especially if you haven't deleted it (since the bonus requires that you have the game installed and I believe at least have played one level).

16. ezone

ezone Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    I'll tell you what it's missing - some Apple love!

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thank you for the update... I might have to reinstall this one, even though every time I do it just makes me want to play Diversion again...

Which... reminds me.

Any chance that Diversion will be updated for the widescreen?

18. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Awesome update (pardon the pun). How do you defeat the boss? Driving me nuts, lol!

19. ezone

ezone Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Currently free!!

Did we mention that TEAM AWESOME is currently FREE!?!!!!

:eek::eek::D:D:):)

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Would be even better if you told us if Diversion is getting widescreen support...