Universal Temple Run 2 - (by Imangi)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Raf7777

Raf7777 Member

Jun 25, 2012
    #181 Raf7777, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    Mi record is 21,748 m using 3 gems.

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I had to re post my iTunes review two times already... they didn't like my "gem system isn't fair at all and leaves the ones with more money on top of the truly skilled people leaving no desire to compete in a high-score game.". 3 stars from me.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woohooo! 30,331k! Went for the 10M score mission and i used only 1 gem so i went on using gems to make my best run! I used up gems til i couldnt afford so i got to use 6 or 7 (didnt really care :D) gems to get to 30k distance! MUHAHAHAHA!

...And I scored 19M to color the mission complete! :D

Tripping purposefully does wonders in this one as it slows you significantly making it "safe" for the next few turns til the speed picks up again.

4. Veronika_s

Veronika_s Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Norway
    Does anyone know how the powerup-upgrades work? I put one gem into coin bonus and it doubled to 100, but the next time i put three gems and it still just gave me 100..? And it still only lasted for one run. I'm tempted to try maxing it out but don't want to waste gems of course... Am I missing something obvious here?

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, I'm wondering that too.

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Same... I only use gems for the revive... nothing more.

But i only have 6 left. :D

7. Oka-mi

Oka-mi Active Member

Oct 28, 2012
    I don't get all the love for this game.. It's really, really mediocre all around. Bland, generic art style, horrendous draw distance, incredibly repetitive environments, and absolutely no new additions to the genre. If it had been called anything other than "temple run" people wouldn't give it the time of day.
    With the insane amounts of money they made from the first game they could've made something really special, but it seems like they knew they didn't really have to try, so they just phoned it in and watched it skyrocket up the charts anyway.
    No offense to the developers, but this just seems like a huge wasted opportunity. It's frustrating to see this get millions of downloads while much, MUCH better games like Punch Quest are struggling to make a profit.

8. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York

The original Temple Run is what got me addicted to endless runners in the first place and I'll be eternally grateful for that. Even after completing it achievements and all, I still can't find myself deleting it from my phone.

But I have to agree with you. After having played Subway Surfers, Agent Dash, Into the Dead, Run N' Gun, Punch Quest, Pitfall, Beach Buggy Blitz, Infinite Warrior and many other high quality endless games out there, Temple Run 2 really doesn't seem to raise the bar with the current quality of endless runners. Or at least get up to par with them...

I find it funny how reviewers say: "TR2 comes with new characters!"...they're the exact same characters as the original. The sequel has even less characters now.

Hate to rag on Temple Run 2, but as it is, I'm not comfortable calling it a sequel just yet. I feel it needs to be much bigger and much better than it's predecessor. Really hope updates will improve on this.

9. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    The "save me" is complete bull****

Well that's... Bad.

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I have to agree too.

But for somebody who just loves runners in general, i still couldnt get enough of Temple Run, and this is what i needed to quench that thirst.

The visuals have been improved, and they added a few new but not unique sequences but everything stays the same: great controls, frantic gameplay, and an overall still a feel good game to me.

When i review games i give less attention to comparison, and i review games as they are.

11. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I think the same way, the same, but yet again, something glues me to this game that I cannot resist... maybe its the speed the game runs at, maybe the untouched gameplay... either way its haven't been deleted just yet.

12. mikky

mikky Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Superb graphics, new level. Best sequel to 5 star game. Absolutely awesome!

13. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    This person summed it up beautifully. Several of the games mentioned, such as Pitfall, Inifinite Warrior, and Run 'n Gun, have taken the Temple Run type of endless runner game to new levels (no pun intended). The problem I found with TR2 is that it this has been done before. If this were released a year ago, it might have better staying power. But now?

I will pass.

Just my two cents,
    frisbee10461

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are those free? TR2 is a beautiful runner to get for free, with the IAP being a total non-issue.

I pay for lots of games, but I dont like paying for runners because I get bored of them fairly quick. TR2 is the best free runner I have picked up.

Also, the difficulty of the quests is tuned very well for me, a runner of at best average skill.

15. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    Most of the games mentioned are free. Except Pitfall and Infinite Warrior (though IW goes free quite often).

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Isnt Pitfall free now?

EDIT: Yup... looking at it on the US appstore and it's free.

17. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey

Okey dokey, I'll give them a try.

Even accepting that they may be better games as some are saying, I think that even the non-fans have to admit that Temple Run has totally harmless IAP and well-balanced quests. Its reasonably fun, at least until you cant progress on the quests anymore. It also looks quite nice.

So its a perfectly good freebie to pick up if you like runners now and then, even if one of these others mentioned might be better.

18. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    #198 Eoghann, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    I had no idea it had gone free. I bought it when it first came out. Cool. :)

I guess it's safe to assume that as a general rule endless runners tend to be free. They may start paid but eventually go free.
    Which is another reason why I love them and I guess that's why they're so popular as well. :)

19. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    My 9.9M high score and other 2 leaderboard scores disappeared off Game Center. They better fix that ASAP

20. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Cant you just make a new record? I mean 9.9M score is easy once you upgrade the multipliers.