Universal Temple Run (by Imangi Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    This game is so freaking addictinggg. Just spent an hour playing it after trying it once last night.

Anyways, are achievements not syncing to GC for anyone else? I should have 12, but GC still says I have zero :[..

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    wow... Turned me right off...

3. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011

Keith,
    An on-screen touch system could/should be implemented to compensate for having to tilt an iPad awkwardly due to its size... Rather than adding a slider, a simple touch on the left or right margin of the ipad (perhaps a 1-2 inch invisible border) would do the trick?

4. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yeh but the trouble is implementing this without giving the iPad users or iPhone users an unfair advantage....

5. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Wow... do you get turned 'on' easily? :confused: (c'mon!? Tiny Wings!!!???)
    ------------------------------------

Eh, anyone know how the special items such as magnets are dropped? Do they appear randomly or does the player have to accomplish certain tasks in game?

And what's that golden bar on the left?
    -----------------------------------

I'm sure it's my problem but I keep performing the wrong gesture... it pisses me off... I just wanna know how other people hold their phone when they play...

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    They appear randomly inside the game.

Golden bar fills up as you collect more coins. Once you manage to fill it up completely, you'll get a bonus.

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I hold it with one hand and I use my thumb to do the gestures.

8. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    So make it an option that can be toggled on/off in both versions ;)

9. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    ok awesome game
    now for updates etc i think that a doodle jump scheme would work with new themes, obstacles and power ups. New game modes for example one with many-a-coins where you have to collect as much money you can in a minute, for the store this would mean that you get more coins so maybe dividing those collected by 5 or 10 would keep a good balance. there is so much going for this game and new additions will only increase its success, as said above game modes (im sure you can come up with many ideas), themes, and power ups/power downs as well as more obstacles.
    ;)

10. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    #70 TouchChatterbox, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    Can't believe I ummed and ahh-ed over this to the extent I have, despite only having $3.67 in credit and trying to have at least a couple of dollars on hand for any surprises.

Will give more feedback/suggestions once I've actually played it (it's downloading now) but a race mode would be pretty cool. Maybe you could have special powerups to slow down the other player (AI or human) or otherwise hinder them. A sub-mode could have both characters on the same path. Another could have them on parallel paths that intersect at certain points so part of the strategy is also choosing the route.

Maybe one mode where you're trying to lead a female companion to safety - the Willie Scott/Marion/Schneider equivalent - and you want to impress her while you do so... so by putting together cool combos of sliding, jumping etc you get some hearts or something... see where I'm going with this? Kind of like Outrun's Heart Attack mode. You could have longish sections with poisonous darts for instance so she follows your lead... you might have to go jump jump duck jump duck then at the next bit duck duck jump duck... so in negotiating all the various traps and other problems, you build up insane numbers of hearts.

Here's another one: throughout the game you collect tablets with symbols on/journal entries...something...with clues, if you follow these clues and work out what to do 'on the run', you get past sticky situations because they give you directions on how to negotiate a sequence of traps or section properly - as in simply not dying OR even getting bonus treasure. What I'm getting at is bringing in an element of puzzle solving improv...like how Indiana Jones sometimes has to think on the spot & not always just use his whip and physical skills.

So those are my ideas not even having played the game yet! :p Will check back tomorrow. :) You'll be getting quite a bunch from me.

11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Great game. GOTW as I can't get FFT. It's great that you can just hold it with one had and do gestures with thumb or any other finger :) So addicting.... yet I suck at it :D

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Yes! Just broke the 2 million points barrier!!

Now to get a life...

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    No one?

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm not clear why this is any better than the other good running games.

I'll get my .99 worth so I'm not unhappy, I'm just not blown away.

15. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Would love to see different characters. How about a scantily-clad Helen Mirren look-a-like? I love me some Helen Mirren.

16. WilliamG

WilliamG Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Not sure if that's strangely awesome or strangely creepy a suggestion...

I'm going to say awesome.

17. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    Endless runners are not my genre of choice but this game definitely has something that kipping you coming for more.
    I will gladly pay some buck to see Harrison Ford running for his life in this one! :D

18. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I thought I'd grown sick of endless runners but this has just brought the genre back to life for me. I love how simple and addictive it is.

For some updates, all I can think would be to add in some more random floor pieces for some more change of scenery. And like the guy above I'd love to see Indy (maybe a custom character option?) could have a shop with clothes etc that you could buy with your collected coins.

19. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The game seems nicely set up for expansion via additional temple sections that can appear during the run. Themed "worlds" using the same engine (say, escaping from a self-destructing space ship while being pursued by an alien menace) could also be an interesting option for the future. New traps that require you to tap on an obstacle to remove it, or combination traps that require you to move to one side and jump or slide could also add to the challenge. Also, adding unlockable costumes could serve as a useful coin sink for those with more in-game cash than they can spend.

As has come to the mind of pretty much everybody who has played this, I'd also like to see an Indiana Jones-"inspired" world based on the opening of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Run sections could include interior temple passages, rocky tunnels, and jungle paths. Rather than the current monsters, when taking the idol at the beginning you'd see the hero chased by a giant boulder instead, and the obstacles would be familiar elements from the film(s).

Jump to avoid: Pits, spiders, boulders, snakes
    Slide to avoid: Dart-spitting statues, descending stone doors, webs, snakes
    Tilt to the side to avoid: Trap-triggering beams of light, rooms of booby-trapped floor tiles, partially crumbled floors, snakes

20. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    I'm finding this game very difficult to play while lying on bad.
    That would be my only complain.
    If they only manage to solve this tilting problem in horizontal position.
    Maybe adding optional left and right control button will do the thing.