Universal Tengami - (by Nyamyam)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 19, 2014.

1. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Also, did you play it on ipad or the phone?

2. Porsupah

Porsupah Well-Known Member

As soon as I saw the trailer a while back, I knew I'd be getting it as soon as possible. Needless to say, that most certainly remains the case. ^_^

3. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Not sure how long is the game as I just started! Need some more time!
    But as for as graphics are concerned they are just great! Meaning they blend the atmosphere really smooth!

4. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I have a felling this is going to be one of the GOTYs.

5. h1ryu

h1ryu Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2011
    There's a video review on YouTube for it that I saw earlier that says it's about 2 hours long which seems a bit short but it looks good and the review was positive.

6. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #26 Lazer Kat, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    There is a thread in the upcoming iPad / iPhone games section for this game. The Dev's are all active in that thread, and one of them said that the average player finished the game in 90-120 minutes.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=149713

official Tengami site:
    http://tengami.com/

Tengami in the press:
    http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/8/21/3258806/playing-with-tengamis-paper-pop-up-world

http://www.raregamer.co.uk/?p=2936

http://www.modojo.com/previews/ipad/tengami/

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/03/28/tengami-is-a-beautiful-journey-through-heavenly-paper/

http://applenapps.com/special-event/gdc-2013-tengami-unfolding-a-brand-new-gaming-experience.html

Ohh yeah. It's mine at 11pm.

7. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Thanks for the replies. With the gameplay being 1-2 hours and the pop-up graphics looking so great, I can't walk past this one.

8. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Games shorter than movies are frustrating to me, specially if it's a great game. But it's still instabuy.

9. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    So I'm supposed to discover the secret behind the dying of the lone Cherry tree. Sounds fascinating. Great visuals and I love anything Japanese and their sounds and music. Very tempted.

10. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    #30 xx99, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    First chapter was great. I feel bad that I'm going to whine about a puzzle I can't solve in 20 minutes, but holy cow this bell puzzle is difficult. It's made doubly frustrating by how slow the main character moves.

The audio and visuals are awesome. The puzzle is driving me crazy though :(. Back to it, I guess. I can't determine the point of the
    little bells on the sliding door. I can't get them to do anything. Help would be appreciated.

Edit: Well, I've thrown even more time at it and I'm totally stuck. I hope it's not a tonality thing because I'll have a very hard time distinguishing between eight tones with the same timbre. I hope it's something obvious that I can just groan about missing, but for now I am stuck until somebody else can point me in the right direction (I checked Sanuku's video and it ends right where I'm stuck).

11. nyyjen

nyyjen Member

Aug 23, 2012
    UK
    Hi xx99!

I am one of devs. Let me give you a hint here.

The pagoda door must show 8 bells or you won't be able to solve the puzzle. The order of the bells is not so important. Try to ring them really fast.

And we had a fair few people get stuck here already, which makes me think we should slightly update this puzzle in the near future to make it clearer.

12. Deixa

Deixa Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    This game looks interesting but at the same time feeling like going to sleep after watching the gameplay

13. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

May 5, 2011
    Hey nyyjen

I'm also stuck, but it could just be because I have a bad cold (in the middle of summer :mad: ) and I'm missing something

when searching through the pop ups and rooms for the correct amount of symbols to key into the shrine with ten numbers on it, I can never get the right amount. I'm unsure if whether the crescents you see underneath the house are the same each time, half the time, or whatever. I'm sure I'm close but I've been going back out, counting and re-counting for almost an hour! Without me giving you what I have written down and you directly giving me the answer, is there any advice you can give me?

14. MiloTheBadKitty

MiloTheBadKitty New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    This game is living proof that people who refuse to acknowledge this medium as "art" are full of crap :)

15. limbo

limbo Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Art ###########✨✨✨✨✨##############################

16. stooney

stooney Well-Known Member

I bought it in the morning right away and planned on playing it in the evening.

Could not resist though and played a few screens after noon.
    This is by far the most beautiful thing I have ever seen on my iPad!

I absolutely adore the style, the music, everything.
    Can't say much about the puzzles yet, until now they were not hard at all. But it is the very beginning ...

For 4.99 it's an absolute steal though and I highly recommend checking it out!

17. nyyjen

nyyjen Member

Aug 23, 2012
    UK
    Hi Flamingo,

spoiler ahead:

The area you are in is made of 5 pages, Shrine Outside, Shrine Inside, Closeup of the 2 statues, Garden Area and the small shrine with the numbers puzzle. The symbols in each card only count once. I would go from the outside shrine through all the cards and make sure to keep track to which page the folds with the symbols belong. If you can't figure it out DM me for the solution.

18. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    Sweet, that helped a lot. I didn't think to try that because I already had while the door was showing something else. Anyway, it was as I wished — something stupid simple that I just overlooked. The puzzle logic makes sense now.
    Maybe to avoid confusion, the bell door could show the bells in a circle with a wobbly circle of resonation around them... or maybe when you tap the current version of the bell door, all eight little bells ring at the same time.

19. nyyjen

nyyjen Member

Aug 23, 2012
    UK
    @xx99

Thanks for the suggestion, makes a lot of sense.

20. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Congratulations on the Front Page Editor's Choice Apple Feature, and already cracking the top-50 paid games in the US. You'll be sitting in the top 5 by tomorrow. I hope the 3 years of hard work pays off for you guys. We need more apps like this in the App Store.