Apple TV Tennis Champs Returns TV : Available 24th August

Discussion in 'Apple TV Games' started by Uprising Elton, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    (Store info to follow at launch)
    SHELF.jpg

An Amiga classic reborn, Tennis Champs Returns!
    Now for Apple TV including local multiplayer for upto 4 players. Playable with the Remote or with improved control using MFi Controllers.

20 years after the original Tennis Champs and Super Tennis Champs hit the Amiga, this is the " King of Tennis Games " brought nicely up to date.

Remade completely for iOS and tvOS by the original Amiga version programmer, using the original characters and retouched animation, combined with all new physics, AI, new controls, Daily Challenges, and a great new Career mode.

0x0ss.jpg

Daily Challenge serves up a mixture of modes, tennis games, opponents and mini games each day, with completion yielding rewards to help you in your career.

Career mode pits your Guy or Girl against a field of 200 Tennis Pros on a full world tour packed with Events. Can you climb the rankings, win the major titles and be declared the True Tennis Champ?

0x0s3s.jpg

**GAME OF THE WEEK : TouchArcade 20th Feb**
    "Tennis Champs Returns is my favorite game of 2016 so far..." - Jared Nelson of Touch Arcade

"Best tennis game I have ever played " - Mr Charley - TouchArcade Forum

"This had to be one of the very best sports' games on iOS ever made! " - DJStout - TA Forum

"Winning my first major.. Has to be one of the most satisfying moments in my sports gaming history!" - Mikiesque - TA Forum

0x0ss2.jpg

0x0ss4.jpg

2. Spindler

Spindler Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Nice! I'm guessing it's not universal? Price?

3. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Yeah, its not universal as the iOS game is ad supported. It's launching at $2.99

It's configured to then play like the iOS version after the premium VIP in-app-purchase.

It is cloud save compatible with iOS, so if you play on TV and synch back to iOS, that device will get VIP unlock applied for free.

4. tommi8080

tommi8080 Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    waiting for the wonderful upcoming soccer game... will it be released for apple tv as well? (and.. when?)

5. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    If you mean SSC'17, then yep, I'm sure I'll get that on tvOS too, with 4 player local play too. But it depends on how well this does really. It's not totally trivial to convert for TV, so needs to justify the effort

And Tennis is live now on the TV App Store now!

6. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Oh nice! So if I've bought premium on iOS will this be cheaper? Does it have local multiplayer with multiple controllers?

7. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #7 Uprising Elton, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Afraid not, there's no way for me to actually detect that to give any kind of discount I'm afraid.

It does support as many controllers as you can connect, which will be full 4 player with MFI controllers when tvOS 10 comes out and makes that possible.
    Right now it also supports multiple iOS remote Apps as controlers too, to achieve local 4 player in doubles play, but that's not the *best* experience as the control pad area on the current remote App is a bit too big.
    The Siri Remote control scheme is pretty good I think (still having access to all the shots), but on an MFi Controller you get a shot type per button so it's much easier, and dare I say it, console quality. :)

I'm going to drop the prioce ONE price teir (so $1.99 / £1.49) for the rest of the weekend actually, to celebrate the start of the US Open Tennis, so that's practically like a discount if you're quick :)

Oh, and there is an update waiting on Apple to review it now, that fixes a bug with the reward screen afer doing a daily challenge. Hopefully that will go through today..

8. Showmelater

Showmelater Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Just à simpel question to you dev. Now that Apple has change that you need the remote, is it easier for you to make the game to run better when you don't need to thinking about the Siri Remote for the next Apple TV OS?

9. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Hi, thanks for the question. Yes, it is great that Apple now allows TV apps that don't need the Siri Remote to be playable. It does mean some games can come to Apple TV that couldn't previously have been made to work.

Unfortunately, it doesn't change the situation from a developer point of view very much.. As we don't know how many potential TV players we might be losing if we don't suport the Remote (not everyone will buy a cntroller), developers are most likely to still take time to make the game play with the Remote if possible.
    Also, there are bigger changes needed for TV such as menu and User Interface changes to go from touch screen devices to controller navigation and this takes time to do well.

If Apple actually shipped the TV with a control pad too, it would probably make a bigger difference.

10. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Thanks for the reply! I'll see if I'm not too late to pick it up on sale :)

11. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Price is still down. Will give it a bit longer to see what effect it has. I actually didn't realise it was Monday when I said "rest of the weekend" anyway! It was a public holiday here plus I'm off work waiting for an overdue baby to arrive and I'd lost track of what day it was!! :D

12. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Congratulations! I'm actually on holiday.. Tried to get someone at home to download it, they said it was listed at 1.49 but when they clicked through to buy it came up at 2.29.. Just thought I'd let you know!

13. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    The Season 3 update is hitting AppleTV now.. and it's also dropping be a Free download with a VIP IAP like the iOS version

(VIP status can be transfered between iOS and TVOS version using iCloud Synch)