'Terminator Salvation' by Gameloft announced

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by peter2nvy, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adbjmb

adbjmb Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Looks like it's going to be like BIA , this wil sell sell sell. Can,t wait and i hope there are no delays.

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Closer to breaking even?

I think they've either already done that or are closer than you think.

And even if not, one has to remember that theirs is a long term strategy with their games, as opposed to the short term strategy employed by indy developers. So they can stomach waiting for returns on investment far longer than most developers.

3. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    It costed them 2mil wow didnt know that. How would they break even with those 2 games alone??

This looks like a BIA mixup and between Gears of war 1 and 2.

I like it!

4. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    You're assuming it's an FPS based on an artists rendering showing the player/character in 3rd person view?

You're one of those gamers that seems to think any game involving shooting, whether or not the focus of gameplay, is not only a shooter, but a first person shooter (FPS defined) regardless of P.O.V, aren't you?

...I feel like I've explained this before to someone on this forum (was it to you?). FPS. First Person Shooter. If it isn't a shooter in first person POV, it can't be a first person shooter. If the shooter is in 3rd person, it's a 3rd person shooter. If the game employs a light gun, it's a light gun game. If it's a vert scrolling shooter, it's a vert shmup. Etc., etc., etc. Different kinds of shooters. Not all are FPS.

5. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    pppppppfffffffffffffffftttttttttttttt............

I know its a FPS (I love game like BIA,Alienmangle and cube) but I dont like shmups. I was just clarifying jeez take a chill pill man. Dont have to be soo harsh about it.

I just like shooting stuff thats about it.

6. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    Gameloft will sell millions on the strength of Christian Bale alone.

I mean are you f-in kidding me?

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    It's not that serious.

8. eyemh8

eyemh8 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    To stay stupid
    Estes Park co.
    Classic lmfao

9. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Most high end games on DS also cost between 1 and 2 million. Most high end PSP games cost more than double that amount (which is one reason why developers became wary on PSP development). But that's the portable market.

For the mobile market, high end iTouch/Phone development is on the higher end of things alongside the BREW platform. So 1 - 2 million for a high production value game isn't outlandish.

Gameloft can break even because they have a longer term strategy, like what Sega and Vivendi and EA have with their respective games (like Super Monkey Ball, Crash Nitro Kart, and Spore), because their games fill niches not otherwise satisfied (there really aren't many or any 3rd person shooters along the lines of BiA on iTouch/Phone, or action games like HiA), and because they can keep their games priced higher (again, the long term strategy).

To recoup costs on a game costing $2 million, I'm estimating they'd have to make about $3 million worth of sales before Apple's 30% cut (3 million - 30% leaves them with a little over $2 million). At the current price of their games ($5.99) they'd have to sell a little over half a million units to make that $3 million before Apple's cut.

That's well within reason on the app store for the bigger devs. Sega already did that with Super Monkey Ball a few months back, and at a higher price ($7.99). Vivendi has done it (and done the hell out of it, btw) with Crash Nitro Kart (which has just recently fallen out of the top ten paid game apps list, and was almost always selling more than Super Monkey Ball). Gameloft will get there soon enough, if they haven't already.

And that's calculating at $5.99. Gotta remember that they had sold BiA and HoS for $9.99 for a while before that, so that didn't factor into my estimate.

The bigger devs don't go for the quick money like the very small indy teams. For the indy teams, sell high at lowest price is the name of the game, because the indy games fall out of the limelight really fast for the most part.

10. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    No, it's not. But it's one of my pet peeves on game forums (people getting genres completely wrong).

You'll see me chime in occasionally when people state stuff like "is it an RPG like Zelda" on this board as well. Y'know, they'll state that then I'll come in and state something like "...for the upteenth time, LoZ is action/adventure, not RPG".

It's a character flaw, I know. But I just can't help it!

Example:

[​IMG]

11. Hell_Gamer98

Hell_Gamer98 Well-Known Member

loll want to insult other people because of their opinions/way of thinking??? Whattt?? Are you serious? This is not very friendly....:rolleyes:

12. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008

stfu you should insult me for my likes and dislikes gtfo

13. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    If we can't insult people when they are wrong and refuse to recognize it, then on what grounds can we insult them?

14. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    Thanks for sticking up for me.

+1

15. Hell_Gamer98

Hell_Gamer98 Well-Known Member

There's a famous proverb: The cleverer give in. Try to live with it.

16. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    I'm not insulting you, btw.

Well, not overtly anyway.

And certainly not for your likes or dislikes.

I'm just messin' with ya.

I just saw the funny in your statement that you like "FPS...like BiA", when BiA isn't FPS at all, which kinda proved my point earlier about the whole genre confusion thing.

Again, not a big deal...but it's a character flaw I have...having to point those things out in game message boards like this one when they present themselves. Pay no mind, take no real offense to it all. ;)

17. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Eh, I've never thought myself all that clever :p

18. rojaz

rojaz Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Network\Server Technician
    Leeds, UK
    To be fair, I kind of agree with you only for the fact that I use these forums as a guide to games.

If someone tells me the game is a FPS and it is actually a shoot-em up I would be a bit pee'd off.

If you are giving your opinions on a game, at least be informative.

19. tjccooll

tjccooll Active Member

Apr 5, 2009
    My God!!! Can Gameloft hurry up and release Terminator: Salvation please!!!!!!!!!!? I'm sick of waiting this is the first week of May just release it!!!!!!!

20. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    No one thought so.