The 100 Best Video Games of All Time

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by CygnetSeven, Nov 15, 2012.

1. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    #21 B34$T, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
    Dead Space isn't a horror game. Its an action game with a good atmosphere.

I'm surprised at the lack of OoT, Super Metroid, and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

I am glad Okami is on there though :).

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Semantics. It's dark, scary and full of monsters; the closest a game has ever come to mixing Aliens with Event Horizon. It's a horror game.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    The first dead space was. The second is more of an action shooter with horror elements. IMO not scary at all. And the 3rd looks to be an abomination.

4. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    It's one of the more original games this generation. It has brought quite a few innovations with it as well- cut scenes, levels, GUI- it is all integrated together in a very cinematic way, without loading screens in between. It's more cinematic than Uncharted or God of War (and they're known for being cinematic). There is literally no part of the in-game GUI that isn't integrated within and explained within the universe of the game. That's just one example.

TBH, no horror movies or games are scary at all (at least to me). The second game had plenty of creepy moments though- the unitologist church, the living quarters, the government sector
    when the power is cut
    , the nursery... It's more of a horror game than even Resident Evil 4 is.

The third game looks pretty friggin cool. In online co-op, one person will hallucinate, while the other person doesn't see the hallucination- leading to very interesting scenarios. What I'm not too keen on is the necromorphs that can shoot guns...

5. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Missing Castlevania: SotN, Fallout, Planescape: Torment, and Amnesia (which really did set the new bar for horror games) for starters. :p

6. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    this is less of a "greatest games" list and more of an "impact games" list. And even that is questionable.

7. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Where is Pokemon? That's the most glaring omission to me.

8. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    If it were a greatest impacts list, there would be several games present that aren't there. Zelda OoT is a great example, as well as Pokemon. The list is just a bunch of Time's writers favorite games compiled into a list. I think the coolest thing they did with the list is sort them by decade of release, rather than put questionable numbers on each. It's as valid as you or me writing a personal top 100 list.

Yeah, it is pretty odd. Maybe none of the writers are into handheld gaming? Can't think of any games on the list that are for a handheld system. There is Angry Birds, but that's a smartphone game- Pokemon was IMO much more influential (than Angry Birds) when it came out.

9. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Fair enough, I still don't think it deserves a place on the list- to my mind Amnesia and even Condemned are better horror games and I'm not sure they should get a place either. But perhaps I was wrong that popular opinion wouldn't put it in the top 100, given the defense it's getting here.

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #30 drelbs, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  11. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    XD. That was pretty funny. I disagree that all old games are hard and all new games are easy- seems like so many people think that. Sometimes I find it's the opposite- a lot of people will say older Final Fantasy games are harder compared to newer ones, but when I go back and replay them, they give me less of a challenge than new Final Fantasy games do. Like Final Fantasy IV- breezed through that quickly while a lot of people said it was hard, but then got stuck in XIII and was unable to progress for a while, and a lot of people said it was easy (I still need to finish it. Hasn't been too long since I've started it- picked it up back in January so I could play XIII-2, which is waiting for me in my backlog until I beat XIII).

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm not sure they're really thinking of old FF vs new FF when they say things like that.

13. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Kind of hard to make that argument when plenty of people say it outright. I think it's just nostalgia.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I think they're making a different point. I know plenty of people prefer the old FF games, but when people say older games are more difficult I usually enter a conversation about the likes of Ghosts N' Ghouls and Battletoads vs Super Mario 64 and Ratchet and Clank.

15. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    By and large I think old games were definitely harder, but that often came down to having limited lives and harsh check-pointing (if you could save at all), rather than the core game being harder.

Not sure being harder or easier has any bearing on how good a game is either. I love plenty of old games and plenty of new ones, but with very few exceptions (e.g Dark Souls), difficulty or lack thereof isn't too much of a factor.

16. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    This a joke or am I being trolled?

This list is questionable at best. I can't say much about the 70's or 80's because I haven't played all of the games on the list but the 2000's and 2010's lists are def a joke or written by someone with no understanding of what makes a good game.

17. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Where's dead trigger?

18. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    I came when I saw knights of the old republic,halo and mass effect all in the same list,to bad fallout 3 didn't make it,GTA 3 definitely deserves to be on this list though I agree with a lot of these,anyway the list is pretty good

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, GTA 3 should definitely be on the list. It essentially created open world gaming as we know it.

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah definitely. A lot of it is intentional too since gaming has exploded in popularity and publishers need them to appeal to as many people as possible. Half the kids playing these days probably wouldn't be if they were all being consistently slaughtered on the second stage of every game.