Universal The Act - (by Chillingo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 20, 2012.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Wow does this look good in motion. A real worth addition to my laserdisc collection.

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Out in the US!

3. rezzo

rezzo Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2012
    wow, look awesome!

4. joydiv

joydiv Well-Known Member

May 18, 2012
    Med Student
    Lisbon
  5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Got home late and didn't get a chance to pick this up. Any impressions?

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Even though it is a Slide to Play review and I tend to ignore them for the most part...30 minutes? :/ I'm pretty sure Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc. couldn't have been longer, but yeah...maybe I should've waited before buying. Oh well, just synched it. *crosses fingers*

7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Thing is that they're complaining about the TYPE of game it is.

It's like reviewing a rap album and complaining that they rapped on it.

I'm not saying that there isn't a chance that the game isn't good, but StP failed miserably in their review time and time again. They complain about the length, that there's only swipe controls, that the gameplay is trial and error.

Yeah. DUH. It's a laserdisc game. What should they have done? Changed up the game?

Ugh. They should have done what was needed, judge it next to Space Ace and Dragon Lair. How is it in comparison? How is it different? Is it better or worse?

That is what this game needs, and they failed in answering it.

8. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    mc, tell me what you think about this once you get a chance to play with it, ok? Thanks, bud!

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I really don't know what to say. It's fun...while it lasts. :/ The amount of work that's gone into the game is probably worth way more than $2.99, but at the end of the day, it really, REALLY does end before it starts.

I wouldn't agree with Slide to Play that the gameplay's frustrating as it's more complicated than pressing a button when prompted (your actions have to evolve with what's going on at that very moment), but yeah...I wish I could get over how damn short the game is. I just can't. It really doesn't take more than 15 minutes if you know what you're doing and takes up way too much space in relation to the game's length. :( My main issue with that is it really is a charming game with very likable characters, but just when things start to pick up, it ends.

Take this for what it's worth: I've already deleted it. :( I want to recommend it, but I don't know if I can...so let's just leave it at that.

10. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Thanks for that! Considering the overall shortness of the game at that rate and the replayability of these types that I usually find not worth a second go-round, I think I'm gonna pass on this. The amount of space needed for it is also a big issue with that being said. Was kind of hoping it would have more meat on it. Oh, well, thanks for the heads up! :D

11. Dan@Chillingo

Dan@Chillingo Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback as usual, we appreciate it (both positive and negative) Just one thing to bear in mind when discussing the game length is that The Act was an arcade game originally. It would have been unfeasible for it to have been as long as many more traditional games due to its very nature.

Thanks! Any q's just pop them in here and I'll reply when I can :)

12. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well I'm really happy with "the act" I think I own all of the laser disc style games on ios and this is a fantastic addition to my collection.
    Took about 30-40 mins to finish but the animation is brilliant and the swipe controls work really well.
    While it might be short the same could be said for most laserdisc games it's just that in something like dragons lair it's so damn hard you spend most of your time dying :) which makes it seem a lot longer.
    Overall I'd say if your a fan of the genre (which I am) then there's plenty to love here and for £1.99 you get to see the game through, im sure it would have cost more than that start to finish in the arcades.
    I'd rank it up there with "Road Blaster" and "Dragons Lair" as one of the best laserdisc games and I'm sure I'll come back to it again and again like I do with the others.

One thing I'd say that could be added to give it some extra life would be leaderboards and achievements, both road blaster and cobra command have these and it gives that bit extra motivation to replay for people who care about these things.

Other than that, more more bring me more laserdisc games I love them. :)

13. Dan@Chillingo

Dan@Chillingo Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Really glad you liked it! Great summary of the game, it's great to see that it delivered what you wanted as a fan of the genre.

14. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Love the art style; reminds me a lot of Disney's 101 Dalmations.

I would like to see a gameplay video though, not quite sure how it works...

15. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Not my type of thing, but I am pretty wowed seeing this level of animation created from the ground up for iOS at that price. Hope it does well.

16. Janders

Janders Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Columbus, GA
    This is an AWESOME game! I love how it is a departure from what most are putting out. The emotion shown on the faces of the characters is delightful and subtle. This reminds me of a bright, animated, Heavy Rain for iOS.

17. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It might just be the way you phrased that, but to clarify, this was originally designed as an arcade game a few years ago; it wasn't created for iOS specifically. I hadn't actually heard of the original game, but it didn't take long to find out about it after noting that the animation in the trailer was far too good for it not to have been designed for another platform.

18. Blodia

Blodia Active Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Dirk the Daring, OB-GYN. Must buy.

19. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    #39 Collin, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    Man, I don't see how this isn't a bug... I'm running with the cart in the scene where he's trying to save his brother. I made it past the first leg where you go right. Suddenly, I'm running backward with the cart. If I manage to dodge everything while going backward and I'm in the middle or left "lane" I get smacked by the Scottsman (he's the first that I've passed on my backward run) and if I'm in the right "lane" I hit the nurse). I've tried every variation of movements I can think of to get past this point, and nothing's working...

If I move quickly so that I should run into the Scottsman, I smash into garbage cans. Most frustrating.

Should I be running backwards for this part of the level?

[edit] I made it through by way of guessing where things should be if I were moving forward, then it did a weird visual flip and I was back to running forward. Most strange.

20. Zaraf

Zaraf Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    #40 Zaraf, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
    Great game! I'm really enjoying it.